Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Counsel

Default [B30] Ultos, the Melee Stormcaller (A Primal Strike Warder Build)

Hi guys, this is an updated version to a previous build I have made.
I decided that rather than updating a thread I'm going to have a lot of work in regards of editing (especially with complete revamp of skill choices, devotion, and optimal gearing), I'll make a new thread instead as it is more easily maintainable as well as manageable.
Once again, I'll be making several different posts (as well as linking them to the OP) as I'll be going in-depth as I can possibly get in explaining what makes the build ultimate viable.
As such these are the chapters of the build:
  1. Skill build and Pros and Cons
  2. Skill explanation
  3. Devotion Guide
  4. Gear, Components, and Augments (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)
  5. Basic Strategies
  6. Leveling tips
  7. Images and Conclusion (Main) (Alternate)
Primal Strike Warder
Ranged DW Commando
Lightning DW Trickster

Last edited by cadpgamer1992; 01-23-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Supporter

ahah i find your build tittle a little confusing, regarding Zappa's Stormcaller build xD
I'll make sure to get back here to read your build once it is published
Lv 60 Druid (L) ~ Lv 60 Spellbreaker (C) ~ Lv 79 Conjurer (V/C) ~ Lv 40 Witchhunter (P)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Counsel

Default I. Skill build and Pros and Cons

Without bonuses, the build looks like this.
With bonuses (from gear that will later be mentioned), the build looks like this.

Pros:
  • Does decent damage at ultimate difficulty
  • Doesn't rely so heavily on potions
Cons:
  • Requires min-maxing in order to get resistances and damage right
  • Ultimately requires legendary gear
  • Health always goes back and forth between 50-90%, so this build isn't recommended for the faint of heart or the dim of wit
  • Leveling can be a hard and learning experience
Primal Strike Warder
Ranged DW Commando
Lightning DW Trickster

Last edited by cadpgamer1992; 01-17-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:45 AM
Counsel

Default II. Skill Explanation

This time around, I'm going to do something a little bit different, I'm going to describe what skills I used and why they're important, but I won't give the skill points you should invest in.
This build puts into consideration of the fact that not everyone will be able to get the best possible gear (in the next 2 chapters). As such, I'll describe what skills can have their points removed from the build I used so that people can still get the most out of what the build while farming for the best gear.
Without further ado, here are the skills I used:

Shaman
Recommended Rank: Max
This is the first mastery you should get, as Primal Strike is VERY good at early game. Max this mastery out so you can get Stormcaller's Pact. In this build, we'll be focusing on the lightning aspect of primal strike.
  • Primal Strike
    This is the main damage dealer of your build. Make sure you max out this skill NO MATTER WHAT!
  • Thunderous Strike
    The damage modifier hurts primal strike around A2 on normal (if you're starting fresh), but as long as you max out the other skills in the primal strike line, you should be fine.
  • Torrent
    The AOE of Primal Strike is actually weak by itself, as such, maxing out Torrent is REQUIRED as the mobs will rush you down ALL AT ONCE (especially when you reach the higher difficulties).
  • Storm Surge
    The fact that this gives more lightning damage and has some bleed on it, MAXING this out is also a no-brainer.
  • Mogdrogen's Pact
    A point in this is surprisingly more than enough to help out with the energy issues you'll most likely encounter early on when spamming primal strike.
  • Heart of the Wild
    A point is useful enough in this build. The health increase, and duration reduction towards bleed and poison, can help you out when you need to go somewhere that has a lot of poison mobs.
  • Oak Skin
    Additional flat armor and pierce resists wouldn't hurt, but only a point is needed.
  • Brute Force
    Ideally, you'll want this maxed out, but this is the skill that can also have some points shaved off so you can invest in other skills.
  • Stormcaller's Pact
    Max this...
Soldier
Recommended Rank:40
Surprisingly enough, this mastery has some decent utility in terms of survivability in higher difficulties. You can still die, but the soldier mastery decently designed to alleviate some of the issues that you'd most likely have whenever it can. The skills available at rank 50 can't be used in tandem with Stormcaller's Pact so the effort is just wasted.
  • Military Conditioning
    Just get enough points in this that you can wear the highest heavy armor available. As of now, I have no points in this because I got armor reduction thanks to a certain belt. ;D
  • Meinhir's Will
    MAX THIS! Lower ranks will never cut it for this build, especially in higher difficulties. With 16 second cooldown at rank 16, it's just a matter of being able to live long enough until it's up. If you're geared properly, this easily achievable.
  • Fighting Spirit
    A point will be more than enough to give you a boost when the going gets tough.
  • Blitz
    One point is only needed as this is your mobility skill more than anything else.
  • Veterancy
    With highest armor requirements being around 980 physique, at least a point will bring down the requirements to something a little more attainable.
  • Field Command
    You need OA, DA, and %Armor boost... like really bad.
  • Squad Tactics
    So the move speed of this skill got swapped with the attack speed from Oleron's Rage. The attack speed can really help with damage input, just get ready to chug Elixirs of Spirit every now and then as you can lose energy fast because of it.
  • War Cry
    I wish the damage reduction could stay at 30% at rank 12, but considering the balance changes done in Build 30, I don't think I really have much to bitch about. The damage helps but we're still maxing this for the AOE so that we can use it's Terrify Transmuter.
  • Terrify
    ^THIS^ is why we're investing a lot of points into War Cry. Maxing this out will allow us to fight a more MANAGEABLE pack and even give us the opportunity to FOCUS on the HERO/BOSS monster instead of the irritating mobs that can be potentially lethal. As of build 30, only 1 out 3 monsters will be scared for 2.8-4 seconds, but even then, this still has some uses.
  • Decorated Soldier
    Try getting this to rank 8 for the resists and physical damage.
  • Scars of Battle
    The Armor Absorption and CC reduction is GODSEND for this build. MAX THIS!
Primal Strike Warder
Ranged DW Commando
Lightning DW Trickster

Last edited by cadpgamer1992; 01-15-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Counsel

Default III. Devotion Guide

This chapter is going to be a little bit of a trip for me, because we're going to be relying on the self-fulfilling mechanics of constellations in devotions; thus, I apologize if this comes out sloppy. It is recommended that you get devotion points from ALL of the shrines in NORMAL and ELITE difficulty. That way, you'll have all 50 devotion points by the time you complete Act 2 in ultimate difficulty.

First Goal: Tempest Constellation
The Tempest Constellation has an awesome DPS Proc that further improves the AOE Damage of your warder, as such, this will be the first proc you should get.
Instructions:
  1. Put a point into the Primordial Star (the blue one) of the Crossroads Constellation.
  2. Complete the Eel Constellation and reallocate the point on the Primordial Star of the Crossroads Constellation into the Ascendant Star (the purple one) of the Crossroads Constellation.
  3. Complete the Empty Throne Constellation and reallocate the point on the Ascendant Star of the Crossroads Constellation into a star on the Tempest Constellation.
  4. Put points into the Tempest Constellation until you get the skill Reckless Tempest.

Second Goal: Chariot of the Dead Constellation
This constellation will have one of your healing skills as you don't really have much defensive and healing options, so get this.
Instructions:
  1. Complete the Tempest Constellation.
  2. Put a point into the Eldritch Star (the green one) of the Crossroads Constellation.
  3. Complete the Hawk Constellation.
  4. Put points into the Chariot of the Dead Constellation until you get the skill Wayward Soul.

Third Goal: Spear of the Heavens Constellation
The skill this constellation has allows you to get back at enemies who hit you. This will be your second offensive skill. This thing will proc a lot, and it will stun enemies for 1 second; thus, worth the investment.
Instructions:
  1. Complete the Chariot of the Dead Constellation and reallocate points from the Hawk Constellation onto the Viper Constellation.
  2. Complete the Viper Constellation.
  3. Complete the Jackal Constellation.
  4. Put a point into the Order Star (The yellow one) of the Crossroads constellation.
  5. Complete the Turtle Constellation and reallocate the point on the order star onto the Hound Constellation.
  6. Complete the Hound Constellation.
  7. Complete the Lizard Constellation.
  8. Complete the Spear of the Heavens Constellation.

Final Goal: Behemoth Constellation
Once we've gotten the awesome stats and skills we need, It is recommended that we get the skill Giant's Blood for more healing, especially in the ultimate difficulty. You'll only need three devotion points to get to the proc, so just spend points until you get to the skill and from there on out, you can use the last point on whatever you want.
Primal Strike Warder
Ranged DW Commando
Lightning DW Trickster

Last edited by cadpgamer1992; 01-15-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Removed Colors and Corrected Errors
Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Initiate

Just so you know, since I spent the last three hours looking for it. It's not the Drake Constellation, it's the Jackal.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Initiate

The different colors is really ugly and the blue is hard to read :'(
Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malchron View Post
The different colors is really ugly and the blue is hard to read :'(
Agreed. I appreciate the work OP, but those colours are incredibly obnoxious.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:36 PM
Initiate

Hey man, great build. I also have a Warder with a similar setup, and yes ultimately I had to use nearly all legendaries to get my resists to optimal levels (which isn't a bad thing as crafting can be rough).

One thing I'm doing differently than you is mainly devotion setup and I've been using Savagery instead of Primal Strike. I find that the Savagery line, especially with Tenacity of the Boar greatly increases my survivability and also my boss killing time as you start to crit pretty heavy with max stacks + I also run max Fighting Spirit. With all my procs I think I got a screenshot of 3280 OA or something like that, pretty sweet!

I also use max Blitz because once you max Blitz, thinks like Flesh Hulks and Monstrosities become trivial as they do nearly no damage when affected by Blitz and you can keep it up. I only put 1pt in Warcry so that hits all the little stuff and then I just focus on Blitzing the big dudes to mitigate damage.

Awesome build, it's so far the only melee build I've actually been able to melee consistently with. Only times I have to back away and run is multiple champs that proc my healing devotions all at once or those damn nullification guys!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus311 View Post
Hey man, great build. I also have a Warder with a similar setup, and yes ultimately I had to use nearly all legendaries to get my resists to optimal levels (which isn't a bad thing as crafting can be rough).

One thing I'm doing differently than you is mainly devotion setup and I've been using Savagery instead of Primal Strike. I find that the Savagery line, especially with Tenacity of the Boar greatly increases my survivability and also my boss killing time as you start to crit pretty heavy with max stacks + I also run max Fighting Spirit. With all my procs I think I got a screenshot of 3280 OA or something like that, pretty sweet!

I also use max Blitz because once you max Blitz, thinks like Flesh Hulks and Monstrosities become trivial as they do nearly no damage when affected by Blitz and you can keep it up. I only put 1pt in Warcry so that hits all the little stuff and then I just focus on Blitzing the big dudes to mitigate damage.

Awesome build, it's so far the only melee build I've actually been able to melee consistently with. Only times I have to back away and run is multiple champs that proc my healing devotions all at once or those damn nullification guys!
I think you mean blindside from the blitz line. Blitz doesn't have innate DR; nonetheless, I just tried it out and it is AWESOME. I'm going to update this into my skill build and I will give brief details on how you should use it.
I'm also VERY AWARE that savagery is a lot stronger than primal strike, but the whole is build is to try to make primal strike EFFECTIVE as a main damage dealer. It will never be able to compete with savagery, even then, I'm going to do what I can to make it viable in Ultimate.
TY very much for your input.
Primal Strike Warder
Ranged DW Commando
Lightning DW Trickster

Last edited by cadpgamer1992; 01-07-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Closed Thread