#1  
Old 09-06-2017, 07:31 PM
gouldec gouldec is offline
Speaker
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 81
Cool New PC for Grim Dawn

Hi

I need a new PC (still using Windows XP FGS!) and have a budget of about £700 (GB Sterling).

What would people recommend in terms of pre-built desktops?

E.g.
http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/yoyotech-w...dia-gtx-1050ti

Thanks, g.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Stenget's Avatar
Stenget Stenget is offline
Speaker
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 84
Default

I would really recommend going for i5 7600k instead of the i5 7500, as its about 20% faster at stock speeds and have the potential of overclocking (which is really nice for grim dawn since its single core only atm)

as for ram id say you would want atleast 8 gigs.

as for gpu id say gtx 1060 / rx 470 or better.
but 1060/rx 470 should be fine for grim dawn at 1080p 60fps

but really, building it your self is usually way cheaper than buying a prebuilt, and you dont get scammed when building it your self. usually prebuilt computers come with really bad motherboards and next to noname PSU's.

its not hard to build a computer and there are many good and simple guides on youtube.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:09 PM
gouldec gouldec is offline
Speaker
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 81
Default

thanks - really helpful!

I have toyed with building my own and have done things like adding gfx cards and hard drives but I'm wary about doing the motherboard and chip and getting all the connections done properly.

You're right that the PSU and mobo in pre-builts are often low-grade.

Last time I ordered all the parts and got a professional to build it - which still saved money on pre-built, so may try that again...!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 AM
Stupid Dragon's Avatar
Stupid Dragon Stupid Dragon is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldec View Post
Last time I ordered all the parts and got a professional to build it - which still saved money on pre-built, so may try that again...!
If you already done it then no idea why you would want a pre-build now.

Go to https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/, find/ask a decent cookie cutter recipe and then find a workshop that'll assemble it for you.

This is just thing I found on the 1st page:

Gaming PC $700
and it already looks much better at glance than the pre-build you linked

Since 700 funts is around 900$ you still have 200$ margin to pay for assembing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:09 AM
Ptirodaktill's Avatar
Ptirodaktill Ptirodaktill is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,806
Default

I fail to understand why ppl buy 4-core CPUs for games if they don't plan streaming them. Last time ive checked, Pentium G4400 performed more or less equal to I5 7500, but former cost 4 times less =).
Whats more important is a good M2 PCI-e SSD drive. Stuff like Samsung 960 EVo realy speed up loading time and make things run smoothly.
For RAM I wouldn't buy less that 16 GB for modern PC. Cheapest Samsung DDR4 works okay =)
For GPU - o wouldn't go for less that GTX1060 6Gb.

BTW overclocking on Intel systems is not cheap today =( You are Forced to buy Z170/270 motherboard if you plan any OC and you need good cooler to make it worth the effort >_> I d rather stick with box G4400+some cheap iH110 MB .
__________________
#TeamDoubleDemo
#HowDoIRei:frog:

Last edited by Ptirodaktill; 09-07-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 AM
the_dead_pig the_dead_pig is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 231
Default

Personally I wouldnt buy anything else than a 6core ryzen
6 cores helps with anything with a pc today.
streaming sure, but also better workflow and gaming overall.

Its one reason I bought ryzen 1600, oc to 3.8ghz and its simply put made my rig effortless efficient for my usage.
much better than my oc 4670k that run at 4,.2ghz that I replaced.
__________________
www.catmodel.eu solution for dyslexia
(I am the developer)
Love GD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Stupid Dragon's Avatar
Stupid Dragon Stupid Dragon is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptirodaktill View Post
I fail to understand why ppl buy 4-core CPUs for games if they don't plan streaming them. Last time ive checked, Pentium G4400 performed more or less equal to I5 7500, but former cost 4 times less =).
Whats more important is a good M2 PCI-e SSD drive. Stuff like Samsung 960 EVo realy speed up loading time and make things run smoothly.
For RAM I wouldn't buy less that 16 GB for modern PC. Cheapest Samsung DDR4 works okay =)
For GPU - o wouldn't go for less that GTX1060 6Gb.

BTW overclocking on Intel systems is not cheap today =( You are Forced to buy Z170/270 motherboard if you plan any OC and you need good cooler to make it worth the effort >_> I d rather stick with box G4400+some cheap iH110 MB .

If you would only play games without multicore support then sure, why not. But I don't think that such a system would age well.

Any big difference in performance between PCIe SSD and 6GB sata SSD?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Ptirodaktill's Avatar
Ptirodaktill Ptirodaktill is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,806
Default

Quote:
If you would only play games without multicore support then sure, why not. But I don't think that such a system would age well.

Any big difference in performance between PCIe SSD and 6GB sata SSD?
I see no difference between i5 3470 and G4400 with same GPU in any game i play. Stuff like ES2, PUBG,Xcom2 run just fine on both .
But the difference between 960EVo and ,OCZ Vector SSD is huge. Windows boot time is around 3 sec on 960EVo with fast boot enabled, stuff just run smoother and faster in general.

BTW, its just me, or CPU performance didnt realy progressed for past 7 years? 0_o Cause the only noticable difference between Sandy bridge(2010) and Kaby lake is negligible frequency boost.
__________________
#TeamDoubleDemo
#HowDoIRei:frog:

Last edited by Ptirodaktill; 09-07-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Stupid Dragon's Avatar
Stupid Dragon Stupid Dragon is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptirodaktill View Post
.

BTW, its just me, or CPU performance didnt realy progressed for past 7 years? 0_o Cause the only noticable difference between Sandy bridge(2010) and Kaby lake is negligible frequency boost.
Not just you, it often comes up on reddit/buildapc. Pretty much why many expect more and more new games to have multicore support. And why the hype around cheap Ryzen 6/8-core is a big deal.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Ptirodaktill's Avatar
Ptirodaktill Ptirodaktill is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dragon View Post
Not just you, it often comes up on reddit/buildapc. Pretty much why many expect more and more new games to have multicore support. And why the hype around cheap Ryzen 6/8-core is a big deal.
nah, its more about streaming popularity. Even if multitread support is implemented in games, how much games are bottlenecked by CPU anyway? And why do games need so much processing power, that they require 8 cores CPU =) ?
My guess - G4400 would do fine for next 5-6 years on all games, that would run Okayish on GTX1060 . And after that much time its less painfull to trash 100$ worth system on G4400 rather that 400$ worth system on I5 7500 or 300$ on ryzen.
__________________
#TeamDoubleDemo
#HowDoIRei:frog:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.