Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old 09-06-2018, 02:21 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Of course. But we're talking about interstellar spacecraft. Minor present-day technological quirks aside, the idea of a 'cockpit' in a hyper-advanced spacecraft is simply ludicrous. MAYBE as a backup in case of undefeated electronics jamming, but as a primary viewport? That's absurd.
Well, if we're taking the hard science route, so are tinned primates in fighters in the first place. Since we art rather squishy and not robust when it comes to high-G's, weightlessness and cosmic radiation. Along with the whole life-support issue thing. Then again, I've been corrupted by Peter Watts and Charles Stross' stuff, like Neptune's Children and Blindsight/Echopraxia :P Oh and The Quiet War + follow on novels by Paul J. McAuley.

But from a game-world building perspective, cockpits can work and are rather useful to help players maintain a sense of where their ship is in relation to other objects. While helps with avoiding crashing into things because you know more easily how big your ship is from the first person perspective. Along with creating more immersion for the less hard-science players.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Praetorian

Ignoring the hard realities of whether there'd even be a human in a ship in the future and whether it would be behind glass or fed via monitors, I don't mind having a cockpit view so that it gives the impression of being in a ship and having the instruments etc in view, I just find the view on this cockpit very restrictive and narrow. Elite Dangerous is a good example of a good balance between the amount of visible cockpit vs external views, in my opinion anyway.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:58 PM
Campaigner

Oooh: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...hour-gameplay/

Old 09-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Supporter

Looks really promising!

I played a whole lot of privateer 1 and 2 back in the day. Think ill may check this out.