Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Old 07-04-2018, 03:58 AM
Campaigner

Good news - bike shifter cables arrive a day early, so finally I can get my bike working.

Bad news - PC BSoD occurs twice in a row while trying to watch a youtube video from Jim Fucking Sterling, error code points firmly at my ancient, decade old 350GB drive which is the only drive to have page file memory on. Check Crystal Tools, see it's not entirely healthy and run out of sectors to reallocate, which means each new dead sector eats into hard drive space.

/sigh

Hello annoyingly unexpected extra costs:

-NZ$111 for a Western Digital 2TB Black drive+postage, cost split over 8 weeks.

-~NZ$25 for a 2 port sata expansion card + need to get another one to support more drives.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Herald

Downstairs neighbors are smoking pot again so entire building smells like a fucking skunk orgy. They really need to get into edibles.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:31 AM
Campaigner

What the whating what?

I slept over 12 hours yesterday, (one nap, rest night) and I'm still fucking tired. Sure, last night's sleep was broken into 3 lots due to fucking night sweats, but overall it was pretty decent sleep by recent standards. Blah, guess I'll just have to hit the sack early and hope I get enough sleep that I'm not feeling utterly flat tomorrow and can get some time in on the bike.

Meanwhile, time to nap so I can get shit done tonight.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM
Praetorian

I'd go see your DR if you haven't already, sounds like hypersomnia or clinical depression.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindray View Post
I'd go see your DR if you haven't already, sounds like hypersomnia or clinical depression.
Well, the depression's a given, but that's what popping happy pills every day is for.

I think this is more due to the fact I wasn't sleeping very well for a month as I'd swapped over to using a down duvet with the newer bed. Unfortunately it trapped heat way too well, as I get hot flushes due to side effects of the older tricyclic anti-depressant (nortryptyline), and so ended up having pretty broken sleep. Swapping over to using my old single wool duvet seems to have helped hugely though, aside from the whole fact it doesn't cover the bed.

But with the recent unseasonably warm nights (it's meant to winter) I have some nights with 2 wake ups due to night sweats, rather than the usual single 4am episode. So probably the extra tiredness has been from that pushing me over my sleep debt limits.

Mild sleep apnea probably doesn't help either, but I'd need one or both tonsils removed to fix that (they're huuuuge). So unless the apnea's gotten worse I'd have to go private to get the surgery as otherwise my apnea wont be bad enough to qualify for public. Especially since the NZ public health service has to recover from 9 years of fucking underfunding, so the waiting list for all surgery services is presently too fucking long. And if the last time is anything to go by, it'll take 3 years to fix. Because of course tax cuts were totes more important than properly funding the health system (and everything else, bar big roading projects).
Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 AM
Campaigner

Yay - 2nd hand hard drive turns up

Nay - Ultimate Boot CD fails to load Parted Magic due to a known issue with the cfg file UBCD has and requires end user editing to fix, but of course, there's not fucking how-to for that particular step. Because why would anyone a) use a USB stick? b) use this without being a linux geek?... Try copying everything over in windows, only to run into "this [insert file/folder here] is damaged and can't be copied". Ensue swearing and cursing

Nay - fix issue, burn iso to a blank dvd (because guess who hasn't had blank cd's on hand for years?), find Parted Magic's 2013 version lacks generic linux drivers for a USB keyboard. GPart doesn't work either, stalling on scanning for drives. Swearing follows, boot pack into windows for the 7th time so far in this fluff-humping mess, hit [censored] to [censored] and burn the Parted Magic iso to another blank dvd.

Nay - finally Parted Magic works and has support for USB keyboards. Open up Clonezilla, follow flow of menu to right options, press y 3 times due to the programmer(s) deciding that was a smart idea, and proceed to copy over everything from the 320GB drive. Relax thinking the hard part is over. Cue red error message in Clonezilla citing a bad sector, find out that the tools to fix that on an NFTS drive are only available in windows. Swear, restart, fuck around in disk management to finally create a full volume on the new drive and start the long, slow task that is check disk. Drive's been formatted though, so no worries about files slowing it down, aside from the fact it'll take forever with /f /r flags to verify free space.

Now just to wait till it's fucking done, restart and boot into PM and redo the clonezilla fun, followed hopefully by no error messages, relatively pain free partition resizing and then leaving the computer on all night to redo check disk to fix and recover any damage files. Since with 200GB of files it'll take at least 4 hrs to process, if not more.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
If you fucking have a CDL you had better fucking know how to back into a loading zone properly you absolute fuckmook

where did you get your CDL, a goddamn box of Cracker Jacks? FUCK SAKE
THIS! This right here! Jesus tap-dancing christ, I hate it when this happens! Couple days ago, some halfwit had the damn road to my house blocked for near on 15 minutes as he tried to maneuver his load down a driveway.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Praetorian

The feel when you did image restore, but system doesn't initialize your SSD after boot up (SSD in panic mode).

That was week or so ago, luckily managed to fix it. Couple of days later, during system boot, bios reported something about voltages changes due overclocking (don't remember), but I don't overclock, so it might be PSU acting up that caused SSD to fail earlier.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 PM
Campaigner

/phew

Managed to get out of a automatic checkdisk run on C: by rebooint, new hard drive's working nicely, aside from the fact it's as noisy as old ~20GB drives where back in the day. And while the PCI SATA card I got is only SATA 1.5GB, magnetic hard drives can't even saturate that, let alone reach the 133mb/s limit imposed by the PCI format. So it is usable.

Going to have to buy a enclosure for the hard drive though: https://www.quietpc.com/himuro

Because when it's read/write time it's still pretty noisy even with the hack I did to reduce vibration. Bubble wrap - not only is it fun to pop, but it makes for good vibration absorbing stand offs for noisy hard drives in a pinch. But that's in the far future, since there's so many other higher fucking budget priorities /sigh
Old 07-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Herald

I love powwows with upper management that serve no purpose other than to waste time I could be spending getting shit done. Did I say love? Ha, I'm sorry, I meant hate. Hate.