Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 02-10-2018, 02:37 AM
Advocate

Default [1.0.4.0] The Wretched Army - A Poison Pet Cabalist

Fabius & Iron Maiden with 96% Poison Resistance means nothing to this beast.

With the introduction of the Necromancer class and the Blight Fiend pet, the sight of the undead filing from the ground and filling the world of Cairn with toxins and decay was a delight in the summoner's mind. Though Raise Skeletons received much of the fanfare in builds such as the Lost Souls Skelemancer and the Night King, the Blight Fiend was a boon in its own right. Its Blight Burst provides a great AoE blast of Poison, while its Rotting Fumes DA reduction is one of the best in the game. However, Poison itself was largely a poor damage type to build around because unlike the standard damage types, there was no easy way for multiple pets to afflict Acid and Poison damage.

Update 1.0.4.0 changed all of that, however, and gave us pet Poison conversion thanks to added modifiers to Blood of Dreeg. While Poison pets still lags behind many of the other damage types you can ask for a pet build, even compared to other Skelemancers, it is always a joy to add a new viable damage type for those hoping to play a traditional Summoner.

I put version 1.0.4.0 in the title because that update was when the build-defining equipment changes were introduced. There was nothing in version 1.0.4.1 that changed that.

[1.0.6.1] The Wretched Army (Standard Acid / Poison Pets)

[1.0.6.1] The Wretched Army (Venom Launcher + Putrid Necklace Conversion)

Since the Mythical Circlet of the Great Serpent no longer has the proc that allows pets to inflict Poison damage, the build heavily relies on Mythical Viperfang grips to give each one our pets a chance to inflict 108 flat Poison per tick. The gloves are the only way for pets to obtain flat Poison damage outside of small numbers from Components. Thanks to overcapped Undead Legion and transmuted Blight Fiends we have a total of 15 pets that can inflict flat Poison.

Big v1.0.6.0 Update: The changes to Unstable Anomaly means that you can now use the Blight Fiend transmuter with no worries about Energy cost. Having the transmuter is now a surefire upgrade over not using it, and the devotions have been updated to reflect that. Time Dilation is now taken to keep up the multiple Blight Fiends, and Tsunami is taken as the main Blight Fiend devotion as not only does it contribute to the Primordial devotion points necessary to obtain Time Dilation, but the Cold + Lightning damage on the skill is converted to Poison, so they'll make great use of the devotion proc.

The most important item for this build is the Viperfang gloves, as it grants pets the chance to inflict flat Poison. If conversion is fixed or introduced, MI gun and MI amulet are necessary for this build for the 90% conversion from Elemental to Acid. In addition, the Rotmender rings, and Rotdrinker's Crest are also mandatory, so additional greens or moving around equipment is necessary to have the Cunning necessary to equip the gun while obtaining appropriate levels of defense.

Equipment
Weapon: Mythical Morguul's Mortality
The amount of guns that pet builds could reasonably use are rather slim, but thankfully, this gun have everything you're looking for, even if it doesn't have pet bonuses. +1 to all class skills and 10% RR is amazing. If you are going for conversion, Wraithbound Ugdenbog Venom Launcher of the Abyss is what you are seeking. The gun can be dropped from Wendigo Cultists, so be sure to farm Gloomwald with any character you'd like to find a gun that's suitable for you. Find a gun that grants good pet bonuses, especially ones that grant pet OA.
Components: Seal of Might is taken for the Physical Resistance and to better overcap the other resistances.
Shield: Aegis Defender
Not only are you getting Skill points for both classes, but the amount of resists you get from equipping a gun is absurd.
Component: Vitriolic Gallstone is equipped to provide more Poison damage bonuses.
Head: Mythical Circlet of the Great Serpent
While this helm no longer grants pets flat Poison damage, 200% Poison damage bonuses, great amount of pet OA, and flat CDR for Blight Fiend still makes this helm undisputedly BiS.
Component: Sacred Plating
Shoulders: Mythical Fiendflesh Mantle
The skill bonuses on this item are nothing to be excited about, but the real benefit comes from the Aether + Chaos resistance and the wonderful flat damage absorption.

Both Zantarin shoulders fit the build if you can grab one from trading or Crucible; it's unfortunate that the Nemesis shoulders that give the best bonuses to pets is the Nemesis that you won't be able to fight in the main campaign as a Necromancer. Shoulderguard is BiS as it helps you reach 26/16 Blood of Dreeg (which is top priority), but Zantarin's Mantle can help get Blight Fiend to 26/16 if you are inclined. Radaggan's Mantle is a new addition with v1.0.6.0 that gives skill points to Blood of Dreeg and also provides nice Reduced Stun Duration as well
Component: Sacred Plating
Hands: Mythical Viperfang Grips
This is the build-defining item, as equipping it is necessary for pets to be able to inflict flat Poison damage
Component: Ugdenbog Leather
Feet: Mythical Fiendflesh Greaves
This item is great not only because of the flat damage absorption, but it helps get Blight Burst to 21/12.

If you need additional DA, Mythical Grim Harvest Boots provides the large DA boost, along with Elemental Resistance, and Total Speed bonus for pets.
Component: Mark of Mogdrogen
Belt: Mythical Shadowfiend's Cord
Every Cabalist should be using this belt the second they have the level and ability to obtain it.
Component: Ugdenbog Leather
Pants: Renegade's Grava'Thul's Leggings of Kings
With the Occultist class and Aspect of the Guardian, I think we're doing okay with Poison Resists, so instead we go to Grava'Thul, who gives nice bonuses to Vulnerability and Elemental Resists.
Component: Ancient Armor Plate
Chest Armor: Elite Malmouth Tainted Vestments
Don't be fooled by the lowly faction item. 30% Aether + Chaos Resistance and +3 to Blood of Dreeg, our primary skill to overcap? You won't find anything better than that.

Mythical Necrolord's Shroud is a second option if you need points in Undead Legion for the extra Skeleton; pet Crit damage and a large Health boost are nice bonuses as well. While there are multiple chest pieces that can grant flat Acid damage to pets, the resistances / skill bonuses are not enough to warrant using.
Component: Hallowed Ground
Amulet: Conduit of Eldritch Whispers
The +3 to Blood of Dreeg when the +All skills in Occultist are accounted for is what makes this item stand out from the rest. With a plethora of skill points available to us, we can take Wasting to 12/12 and give enemies a huge OA debuff, so having the Conduit prefix that grants Poison RR is right in the sweet spot.

In other options, Conduit of Undying Whispers can be useful in getting Blight Fiend to 26/16, but our Devotion path is too narrow to allow us to take advantage of the 100% Physical to Acid conversion for the Blight Fiends. Radaggan's Gem also gives +1 to all Occultists and the 2-piece bonus for equipping it with the Mantle (that gives the missing skill points in Blood of Dreeg) is good for Resistance's sake.

Mythical Blightshard Amulet seems enticing as it provides over 120% Poison Damage and gives us 2 more pets that inflict Poison Damage without having to rely on Viperfang Grips, but I'm not really sold on this item. The Resistance bonus is atrocious, we already trivially overcap Rotting Fumes, and other people using this item claimed the bugs are terrible, though I haven't seen anyone try using them with Skeletons to see if Skeleton body-blocking improves the Blight pets performance. I'm not really convinced.

General's Putrid Necklace of the Wild grants the second piece of the Elemental to Poison conversion and is an MI taken from Primordian, the Forgotten One. Pierce Resistance and Reduced Stun Duration are what you are hoping to capture with at least one of your MI's
Component: Aether Soul
Rings: Mythical Rotmender's Ring
Dammit is still working on the bug that causes Grimtool's damage to display higher than it really is. You'll be lucky to get around 180% Poison and Acid damage for your pets. Still, the skill bonuses are nice, and the Heal is even more so.
Component for both rings: Runebound Topaz
Medal: Mythical Rotdrinker's Crest
The third jewelry that provides Poison and Acid damage for pets, and it comes with great bonuses to Rotting Fumes.
Component: Black Tallow
Relic: Mogdrogen's Ardor
This is my default relic for now, as with this item, you have 14 additional skill points freed up with my current set-up, which is enough to give us both Bloody Pox + 12/12 Wasting for the -180 OA debuff and RE with 12/12 Decay for 25% Damage reduction. The +Skills in Necromancer are necessary to have both 16/12 Master of Death and 16/12 Undead Legion for the extra skeleton. Additionally, DA is in short supply as you can see in my jewelry component selection, so having a relic that provides a 3% DA boost is pretty essential for this build's performance.

Other relic options:
  • Dirge of Arkovia with a +Summon Blight Fiend completion bonus can be combined with Zantarin's Mantle to get 26/16 Summon Blight Fiend. The Total speed bonus and tank pet are nice to have as well.
  • Bysmiel's Domination shores up our low Pet OA, and the huge pet Speed bonus virtually guarantees all of our pets will be able to inflict the Poison from Viperfang grips. It does, however, come at the cost of all those skill points, which would probably be taken from Manipulation, Undead Legion (so you lose a Skeleton as well), and Master of Death.
  • Primal Instinct gives us the choice to have more pets to get more flat Poison, but it is the least viable option for me, as you not only lose the skill points, but you lose the chance to get a 3% DA bonus as well.
Augments: For augments, cover up any resistances you currently don't have capped since your MI set-up will be different. Whatever you find, Pierce, Aether and Chaos resistances are always in high demand.
NOTE: All builds that I post are directly created with GDStash (all valid prefix/suffix combos) for the purpose of testing and demonstrating what is possible. I used to have a legit character used for trading before the expansion, but I have not used him since AoM was released.

Open to any PMs from those interested in playing pet builds.

Currently playing: Grimarillion (first legit, then TAS)

Last edited by thepowerofmediocrity; 08-07-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:03 AM
Advocate

Sources of Poison
With all buffs applied, the maximum Poison damage your pets will see is around 1,850% Poison damage, assuming you get around 180% for your Rotmender Rings. You won't be able to see big damage numbers on your screen, as pet DoTs are not displayed in Grim Dawn. Therefore, I will list the sources of flat Poison damage this build contains:
  • Auto-attack from 15 pets (20 if you choose Primal Instinct Relic) from Mythical Viperfang's Grips and Vitriolic Gallstone.
  • Summon Blight Fiend's auto-attack hits for 208 flat Poison per second at 22/16.
  • Summon Blight Fiend also has a Vomit auto-attack that should stack with its swipes attack.
  • Rotting Fumes generates 331 Poison Damage per second at 22/12.
  • Blight Burst hits for 218 Poison Damage per second at 21/12.
  • Acid Spray is bound to Summon Blight Fiend as having 2-3 Blight Fiends at once makes it a reliable Acid Spray proccer.

If 90% of Elemental converted to Acid is confirmed to work with pets, the additional flat damage sources apply:
  • Skeleton Mages get to contribute, as their burning shards are converted into Poison damage.
  • Flame Torrent (bound to Raise Skeletons) contains Burn damage on zero cooldown. Burn damage is converted to Poison damage.
  • Summon Familiar's auto-attack + Lightning Strike and Summon Hellhound's Infernal Breath are also converted as they are DoTs as well.
  • Tsunami is bound to Summon Blight Fiend as it provides a large AoE effect and both the Cold and Lightning damage are converted into Acid.

This is just counting the Poison damage. Flat Acid damage comes from 26/16 Blood of Dreeg and 12/12 Storm Spirit (If you convert Elemental to Acid). Our RR comes from Acid Spray (28 flat), Vulnerability (-35), Rumor (-23), and for the standard set-up, Morguul's Mortality gun (-10) and Occultist Conduit's Bloody Pox modifier (-10). As much as you'd want to use the Plaguebearer of Dreeg and Mythical Contagion for additional RR, it would end up ruining the conversion aspect of the build.

Devotions:
Rumor to Raise Skeletons - A no cooldown skill like Rumor is perfect for the Legion of Skeletons to spread around the field
Acid Spray to Summon Blight Fiend - Blight Fiends are the main attacker, so it's imperative to provide the main RR skill to these pets.
Bonds of Bysmiel to Curse of Frailty - The Bonds of Bysmiel pet is summoned close to the enemy, so a wide AoE skill like Curse of Frailty is great for summoning this pet.
Shepherd's Call to Ravenous Earth - Ravenous Earth has a 3 second cooldown, so combine the increased devotion proc chance with the amount of projectiles and you have a surefire devotion proc.
Hungering Void to Bloody Pox - Bloody Pox is great for -10% RR and -150 OA shred, which is much more necessary against high RR, tough enemies.
Time Dilation to Reap Spirit - Don't spam this spell, your Energy will run out fast

Last edited by thepowerofmediocrity; 08-07-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 AM
Speaker

Never thought I'd see a pure poison/acid pet build around here...at least not a good one lol. Nice job again dude.

Seems like Blood of Dreeg is pretty essential for this build and it scales like crazy if you get it all the way to 26...I take it it's pretty unreasonable to go for that?

Also to wear the Serpent helm and not be able to take unstable anomaly is such a bummer. I think a nice change from Crate would be to allow the Blight Fiend to live 2-4 seconds longer at base with that point taken. Maybe even make some items that makes that point more worthy. 8 seconds to do the summon animation, and have the pet make it to the enemies, and get potentially 2 or more abilities in, and get some auto attacks in, and you have to cast the thing every 4-6 seconds...it's just so uncomfortable.

Again, really interesting build!
Old 02-10-2018, 03:28 AM
Advocate

FAQ

Why 13 Points in Raise Skeletons? Why even use Raise Skeletons at all? They do Physical and Vitality damage, where does Poison come into play?

Raise Skeletons is used to add to the total number of pets that can inflict flat Poison through Mythical Viperfang Grips. Having 9 skeletons in total very much helps when using Flame Torrent, as having zero cooldown among 9 skeletons means that you're likely to have the maximum damage from the Poison ticks converted from its natural burn ticks.

13 points is the number I chose for the skill points because at rank 13, the summon weight of grunt Melee skeletons drops from 48% to 34%, allowing the summoner to have more variety in having Archer skeletons, Mage skeletons, and Revenant skeletons.

How do you call yourself a Poison build and not have Tainted Eruption?

It is possible to have both Dying God and Tainted Eruption in the same constellation set-up, something like this, but you can't have both along with Shepherd's Crook, which I feel is more important. Blizzard is a nice shotgun to use with Blight fiend, so it's not like you're facing a massive loss.

How many points should I leave for Cunning and Spirit?

The Venom Launcher is a Cunning-heavy gun, requiring 529 Cunning in order to equip it. Thanks to Hawk's newfound pet bonuses in 1.0.4.0, it is one of the best constellations to use for pet builds, meaning the requirement is down to 476 Cunning. You also need about 600 Spirit to equip the headpiece and chestpiece. I chose MIs that granted Cunning bonuses, but you may not be lucky to find the specific affixes you'd like. All in all, I'd say save about 15 attribute points each for Spirit and Cunning and wait until you find the gun and amulet MI's you like and see what bonuses they have. You can always reset attribute points through a potion, though, so you have help in that.

What should I do for leveling?

Ceruleansong's guide and ForgottenKane's guide should give you a good sense of how to progress through the game. Raise Skeletons murderlizes the game up through Elite anyway, so pick up appropriate pet-related items and send them to town. As always, I owe a huge debt to DaShiv's the Night King Necromancer guide for leveling tips and equipment priorities.

Is this build viable for Crucible?

The build does have some defenses that are impressive - over 400 OA shred on a build with nearly 2900 DA, 25% damage reduction from RE, 26/16 Blood of Dreeg with Time Dilation to cut down the recast time, 20,000 flat damage absorption, and 2 sources of on-attack heals [Rotmender's Ring and 10% Heals from Mend Flesh]. However, the build suffers from low life, average 25% Physical Resistance and very low armor of ~1500. Fabius hits this build much harder than other pet builds I've had, and previous attempts at the Crucible he's killed me and ended the gauntlet.

Considering I have 2-3 Blight Fiends and 9 Skeletons, I should be able to pilot hard-hitting enemies through the pet wall and leave me to recover my defenses. I admit I'm surprised at how squishy this build ended up being.
NOTE: All builds that I post are directly created with GDStash (all valid prefix/suffix combos) for the purpose of testing and demonstrating what is possible. I used to have a legit character used for trading before the expansion, but I have not used him since AoM was released.

Open to any PMs from those interested in playing pet builds.

Currently playing: Grimarillion (first legit, then TAS)

Last edited by thepowerofmediocrity; 08-07-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:47 AM
Supporter

Very nice! I love all the summoner variety that AoM and subsequent patches have brought.i have been tempted to do a blight fiend centric build as I enjoy the strong pets like it and Briarthorn. How does this build fair vs late game content in general?
Old 02-10-2018, 04:00 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentron View Post
Never thought I'd see a pure poison/acid pet build around here...at least not a good one lol. Nice job again dude.

Seems like Blood of Dreeg is pretty essential for this build and it scales like crazy if you get it all the way to 26...I take it it's pretty unreasonable to go for that?

Also to wear the Serpent helm and not be able to take unstable anomaly is such a bummer. I think a nice change from Crate would be to allow the Blight Fiend to live 2-4 seconds longer at base with that point taken. Maybe even make some items that makes that point more worthy. 8 seconds to do the summon animation, and have the pet make it to the enemies, and get potentially 2 or more abilities in, and get some auto attacks in, and you have to cast the thing every 4-6 seconds...it's just so uncomfortable.

Again, really interesting build!
I forgot how good 26/16 Blood of Dreeg is compared to not overcapping it. You'll need some luck at farming the amulet MI for something that gives Blood of Dreeg bonuses as guns don't allow you to get class-related prefixes. Getting to 26/16 would require you getting the other Zantarin shoulders (what's with Cabalists being so dependent on Zantarin shoulders when they can never get Nemesis status with that faction? ) and getting an Occultist's or Heretic's Putrid Necklace with +1 BoD, a very unlikely outcome.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/w26ApJON

That's what it would look like with 26/16 Blood of Dreeg. You lose 29 flat Poison from Summon Blight Fiend, but gain 25 flat Acid for everyone with Blood of Dreeg. I'll test it out (I have no qualms with using GDStash for figuring out optimal combos, lol) and see how I like it, but I'll probably use the above for the Grimtools. Thank you for the reminder, Stentron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoron View Post
Very nice! I love all the summoner variety that AoM and subsequent patches have brought.i have been tempted to do a blight fiend centric build as I enjoy the strong pets like it and Briarthorn. How does this build fair vs late game content in general?
As I test multiple pet builds through numerous iterations, I haven't taken this one out to AoM yet, but I beat Iron Maiden who was equipping 96% Poison and Acid Resistance shoulders as shown in the picture above, and I remember fighting Fabius with 80% resistant shoulders as well. This build doesn't have the pure DPS of a Lost Souls skelemancer, but since the main source of damage is Poison DoTs, you have the luxury of applying the DoTs and hauling yourself out until BoD is refreshed.

Last edited by thepowerofmediocrity; 02-10-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:47 AM
Champion

Why does every pet guide looks like a Economics Thesis compared to other build guides, lol

Is there a video of this build?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:03 AM
Advocate

Really nice man.
Yeah, the new putrid necklace from 1.0.4.0 update really open up some interesting options.
I am using it for my witch hunter myself, but it is interesting to see it in pet build.
Also. I agree you should overcap BoD, it will be a massive DPS increase.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 06:11 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowerofmediocrity View Post
How do you call yourself a Poison build and not have Tainted Eruption?

It is possible to have both Dying God and Tainted Eruption in the same constellation set-up, something like this, but you can't have both along with Shepherd's Crook, which I feel is more important. Blizzard is a nice shotgun to use with Blight fiend, so it's not like you're facing a massive loss.
It is in fact possible to have Shepard's Crook, Dying God, and Tainted Eruption all in the same setup.

I do not know if this setup is superior to what you have (I highly doubt it considering I threw it together in 15 minutes), but it is possible. You do lose Manticore's proc for it, though, but I did manage to fit Murmur's proc in there, and if we could find one more point we could swap her out for Manticore.

Build looks interesting and I have a level 100 pet cabalist, will give it a shot in a bit.

Last edited by Koravel; 02-10-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:55 AM
Acolyte

So is this build viable for Ultimate content?
Don’t want to dismantle my cabalist for nothing lol

Tags
cabalist