Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

View Poll Results: What Necro class combo are you most interested in seeing a cool build for?
Death Knight 205 45.96%
Defiler 33 7.40%
Reaper 91 20.40%
Spellbinder 51 11.43%
Ritualist 73 16.37%
Apostate 54 12.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 446. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Emissary

Default Unimaginative Skelemancer Cabalist

"Quantity has a quality all its own." -Joseph Stalin

Last guide edit: 1/14/2018 <-- Tiny addition to alternate builds.

--->Skelemancer v2.0 Grimtools Link (1.0.3.1)<---

Old Skelemancer link posted under alternative builds for those who want to respec or play it instead.

*VIDEO - 10 sec Madqueen (No Wrath of Beast Tincture)*

*VIDEO - Skelemancer out on the town: Port Valbury part 1*

Intro

1.0.3.1 Changes: Luckily, skelemancer didn't take too big a hit with the patch. More importantly, the 1.0.3 patch fixed something I wanted to run with when AoM released but couldn't because it was bugged. We get a new summon! A BIG skeleton! Dirge of Arko pet got a brain transplant and after some pretty thorough testing I am happy to report it's actually very functional now (thank you Crate devs). Also, our skeleton horde now keeps up for the most part (thank you Crate devs). So, there's been some minor changes to get our DPS back (or close enough) to pre-patch levels. After some skill shuffling and aug/comp changes we're back in business. Cleared Glad Cruci several times (white knuckle unfun) and main story Ultimate campaign is actually even easier now (there's a surprising number of badguys who really get nuked when you hit them with Ulo proc). Summons are a tad bit squishier but... we get a nice summon time reduction on the important ones with our gear choices and decent CD reduce with our offhand, so that it's really no big deal (we aren't using Hourglass though so you'll want to NOT let your summons completely suicide wipe as you can't pull off double casting them back to back).

NOTE: You can exchange Mirror on chest for Titan Plating, and scaled hide on pants with silk swatch or ugden leather, and then replace Seals of Might for Resonance on main and offhand for some VERY nice stun/freeze/etc resists. I thought this would be an improvement for cruci but I died 2 times back to back after that change. Can't say if it was bad mutator luck, last wave spawns (suspect it was twin maidens), or something like all the phys res and armor absorb loss that was the culprit. Just letting you know.

So why play a skelemancer and how does it work? Skelemancer focuses on combining pet damage synergy and flat damage stacking along vitality/chaos/elemental and to a lesser degree fire (Skeleton skill tree, Master of Death, Hellfire, Storm Spirit, Soul Harvest and gearing picks). These are also the focuses of it's resist reductions (Vulnerability and Solael's Witchblade including a flat reduction from Foul Eruption). It boosts total pet damage admirably, total pet speed adequately, and focuses on pet OA and pet crit to get the numbers up for ultimate content. Skelemancer also takes a few design decisions to sustain summons and protect them as they are our primary avenue of DPS and more fragile than comparative summoner builds (Aspect of the Guardian, Revenant celestial for pet ADCTH, Blood of Dreeg and Call of the Grave). We get some nice utility and CC from various sources such as Blight Fiend, Hungering Void, and Raise the Dead.

PROS
+15 permanent summons +1 Sundered Wraith
+The usual powerful feeling when you have endgame gear but also the usual lack of a need for twink gear while leveling. Not gear dependent.
+Can handle a wide variety of the game content and this ability scales with player gearing. A decent choice for new players.
+A more backseat approach to the game with you calling the shots and observing the battles. This can allow you to learn game mechanics and encounters quickly IF you pay attention.
+Forgiving play style. With other builds a lot of new players don't know there's a problem until they die. Skelemancer gets some leeway because usually the pets start wiping first which means he can take measures ahead of time, whether that is fleeing or otherwise.
+A different feel from other summoners but nothing radically different. Pet Attack usage is more rewarding for us.
+Great DPS, at a cost...
+Easy to play (You can not have a clue what you are doing or what is going on and monsters will still get killed).

CONS
-It's still a summoner so if you don't like the play style you won't like this.
-Struggles with some few notable game content currently (difficult but not un-doable). This isn't exclusive to us as Ravager, Avatar of Mog and ??? are a handful to most builds out there right now.
-Can be lazy in a bad way if new players don't take the time to learn the game mechanics and encounters. You'll feel pretty powerful up until you don't, then you'll wonder what happened and probably blame the wrong thing.
-EDIT: Apparently is viable for gladiator crucible but I wouldn't consider it farm worthy (used all my tribute points).
-Squishier than other summoners all things being equal.
-Difficult to master. (Placing you character, placing your summons and knowing when and how to change those is an entirely separate guide worth of info.)

Physique: 92 , Spirit: 13 , Cunning: 0

Devotion Guide

Ascendant = Purple, Chaos = Red, Eldritch = Green, Order = Gold, Primordial = Blue (These are always referring to the Crossroads star)

+ Eldritch
+ Finish Bat (attach Curse of Frailty)
- Eldritch
+ Finish Fiend (attach Raise Skeleton)
+ Ascendant
+ Finish Shepherd's Crook (attach Bone Harvest)
- Ascendant
+ Order
+ Finish Panther
+ Finish Sailor's Guide
+ Finish Staff of Rattosh
+ Finish Lion
- Order
+ Finish Ulo the Keeper of the Waters (attach Reap Spirit)
+ Finish Solael's Witchblade (attach Hellhound unless you don't have endgame gear, in which case attach Blight Fiend)
+ Chaos
+ Finish Revenant (attach Ravenous Earth)
- Chaos
- Lion
+ Primordial
+ Dying God (everything except last node on arm, attach Siphon Souls)
+ Eel
- Primordial
+ Last node of Dying God

Cast order:
Spoiler!

ROUGH LEVELING GUIDE.
Spoiler!

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." -Thomas Carlyle

Gearing up. The grind to Ascendency:
Spoiler!

Alternative builds for the more imaginative player.

Spoiler!

Thanks for the read and may Uroboruuk bless your drops!

The Fermi Paradox is God nerfing Civilization: Reality Edition.

Last edited by reapersgaze; 01-14-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersgaze View Post
"I'm perfectly adequate, thank you." -Skelemancer

"If it doesn't work with 1 through 4 keys, count me me out man." -Reapersgaze

"Yeah, I guess we can just count you out of everything, Hudson." -Corporal Hicks

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/m23REnNR

So, this was pretty much the build concept I was considering pre-xpac release before I got sidetracked with Hungering Rain concept (I blame Grim Dawn forums). Unfortunately (or not?), the Hungering Rain concept worked so well I just didn't feel the need to fiddle with the Skelemancer Cabalist until today.

So I plugged in the original idea and took it for a test roll. What can I say other than it works? Went and whacked on the usual big bads for testing. No issues other than you will have to pay attention to Skele spawn in some fights as they get depleted. Never really feel panicked during those fights. I like it.

But I like Hungering Void and Healing Rain better. Its a little more exciting with your interaction. The Skeles are a lot hardier and require less maintenance. And the Flame Torrent just absolutely melts everything hands down with Hungering Void activation. You just don't miss the lack of RR.

Bear in mind you may have to fish for some resist to cap out and this is by no means BiS (Not a fan of hunting for greens so I don't build around them.)

Enjoy.
I went a little different than yours. Less "all the summons!" and more "Necromancer".

Cabalist

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYjzl26

Last edited by blackshark; 10-12-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshark View Post
I went a little different than yours. Less "all the summons!" and more "Necromancer".

Cabalist

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZREmxVD
Nice.

He's named Skelemancer for a reason. If I could push Undead Legion higher I would have. (Not sure if there is another skele breakpoint though.)

Consider this the alternative to running a pet build with Primal Instinct.

If you want something more broken check out Hungering Rain Ferrymancer.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GJ35Nd

Old 10-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Praetorian

Great job, I like it!

Cadence falls on the skull,
It cracks with a thunderous roar,
A Raging Beast in pain.
It screams, it tears the flesh, it crushes the bones...
With the Force of a thousand Bulls,
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Nice.

He's named Skelemancer for a reason. If I could push Undead Legion higher I would have. (Not sure if there is another skele breakpoint though.)

Consider this the alternative to running a pet build with Primal Instinct.

If you want something more broken check out Hungering Rain Ferrymancer.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GJ35Nd
My Undead Legion is the same as yours. 20/12. We have the same Skellies just different thematics

Your Ferrymancer is hilarious. Immortal undead indeed.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshark View Post
My Undead Legion is the same as yours. 20/12. We have the same Skellies just different thematics

Your Ferrymancer is hilarious. Immortal undead indeed.
Ohh, I love it. Every free moment I am leveling new toon to match that build.

Just parking revenants next to dummies kills them faster than a lot of builds can manage. And it's a defense/support build.

You have me reconsidering my medal selection and that GoDG though... Trying to stop theory crafting and actually play!

Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Ohh, I love it. Every free moment I am leveling new toon to match that build.

Just parking revenants next to dummies kills them faster than a lot of builds can manage. And it's a defense/support build.

You have me reconsidering my medal selection and that GoDG though... Trying to stop theory crafting and actually play!
How are you leveling it? And how did you distribute your stat points?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman41 View Post
How are you leveling it? And how did you distribute your stat points?
The legit toon is getting levelled focusing on vitality/drain casting. Then I will switch him over probably around 70ish. So far, no problems.

But that's a guess because this is my first time levelling a Necro. They may be perfectly fine to level right from the start with pets. (I'm just very familiar with vitality/occultist builds and have the gear sitting around already.)

EDIT: Stat points are getting dumped straight into phys with some in reserve for spirit as gear comes up. Just aim for the final numbers as the spirit req has been observed on that grim tool link.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Initiate

Would something like this make any sense? I have no idea about the available items. Main idea was going for the minions and associated vitality damage as much as possible, while using Drain Essence as a filler.
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/gZwBezVj
I'm not taking Soul Harvest as those points are mainly distributed into Drain Essence.
I have no idea if a build like this is even supported by the available equipment, though. Never played that far.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:41 PM
Emissary

Only advice I can give is to level what you have the best supporting gear and experience with. In my case it was vitality casting, so that's the direction I went.

Necro seems pretty strong though. I imagine you can go straight pet focus right off the bat with game drops.

Have fun and let us know how it works out.

Tags
cabalist