Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Old 12-16-2016, 02:02 AM
Supporter

Default Tom Clancy's this, Sid Meier's that

Does someone else here gets annoyed by these names attached to game titles?

Sid Meier is a game designer, but he isn’t the main designer on a lot of games that carry his name. You don’t see Shigeru Miyamoto’s Super Mario Galaxy or stuff like that. Also, Tom Clancy was a writer, so I believe he didn’t have that much input on the games that carry his name and on some newer games like Tom Clancy’s The Division he had no input because he is dead.

I hope this never becomes a common stuff on video game industry. Please, no Arthur Bruno’s Grim Dawn: The Aether Throne or Evil Medierra’s City Builder 2017 (the strategy game he announced on another topic).
Old 12-16-2016, 02:17 AM
Herald

It's pretty much used to try to sell more copies of the game. People recognize the name and immediately think of buying it because it has a name that was in past games they played.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:18 AM
Praetorian

It's not like they've just started naming those games with those naming schemes the other day, it's been that way for years. It's far from new. Sid Meier's Pirates was first released in 1987, then Railroad Tycoon in '90, etcetc, and today the only games we have with these types of names are Sid Meier, Tom Clancy (probably out of respect to him now), and Madden (do they still make these?) as far as I know.

I really wouldn't be worried about something that isn't so prevalent in the industry.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Counsel

I remember an old footbal game on C64 "Emlyn Hughes soccer", E. Huges was a Liverpool player and never seen a videogame in his entire life.

So yes, this is a very old habit.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Herald

I can see why some of these companies do this though. With something like the Civ games (and more importantly their spin offs!) it marks the games as being of a specific type and (hopefully) or a certain quality. For something like "Madden" football it also gives them something that is easier to protect with a copy write as "Football 2016" might be too generic.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Imagine when they have to be even more specific than just the name, but also mention their last great game.

Civilivation-2-era-Sid Meier's Civilization 15

Or

d2-era Blizzard's Diablo 666 - RLAU*

(* - requires proof of availability of newborn child)
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:00 AM
Supporter

Well, thanks for the answers, guys.

I know it's an old thing, I played Civilization on the SNES. I just don't think it helps sales that much and it's more of an annoyance. If you know Sid Meier's name, then of course you know the Civilization series.

I forgot about Madden, but almost no one buys football games in my country, so...
Old 01-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Acolyte

There's also Tiger Woods golf games, Tony Hawks skateboarding games, FIFA soccer games and WWE wrestling games that I can think of right now. Granted it's all sports games but attaching a well known person/organization to a game is just a marketing gimmick. Heck, these days you even get Porche denim pants.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanaro View Post
There's also Tiger Woods golf games, Tony Hawks skateboarding games, FIFA soccer games and WWE wrestling games that I can think of right now. Granted it's all sports games but attaching a well known person/organization to a game is just a marketing gimmick. Heck, these days you even get Porche denim pants.
Yeah, of course it is a marketing-gimmick. But it's quite a unusal one. I mean, I can't even think of a franchise created post the 90's that have utilized this.

Feels like it was more of an 80' and 90's thing to attach a specific famous person to sell a game. The fact that new titles in long-running series are still released with this today is because they carry some legacy and are well known brands.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Advocate

Did you know Norton (Peter Norton) has nothing what-so-ever to do with Norton antivirus by Symantec even though his portrait was printed on the box for many years?

Symantec bought Peter Norton's company back in 1990 including the right to use his name. What Peter Norton is likely most known for is Norton Commander. He also made some other tools for getting the most out of DOS.

I'm pretty sure Norton Antivirus would have been way better if Peter Norton actually was behind it.

Also try look up the history behind McAfee Antivirus and wonder.
CPU: i7 3930K
GPU: GTX 980 Ti Hybrid
Soundcard: Creative SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro PCIe
Monitor 27'' @ 2560*1440
All running at stock speeds.