Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Advocate

Post [WIP] Item Filter (via ColorCoding)

At this stage, this is more of a Proof of Concept than anything else, but it is usable and working fine.
Even the title is a work in progress...

Introduction
This is not an actual mod neither is it going to change the game in any way, the files can be deleted at any time and nothing else is going to change when that happens. Which makes this a non-destructive way of changing the way items are shown in the game (playing with a mod or without).

If you are using a different language (using files from translators) this is not going to work neither is this going to work when you are playing a mod that changed one or more of these tags (which rarely ever happens)

Installation
The filesize is small enough to be uploaded here, so the download is in the attachments of this post.

Extract the contents into you Grim Dawn Directory, if done right, you will end up with a settings Folder in your Grim Dawn Directory. Inside that settings Folder is a text_en Folder and inside that are three *.txt files, responsible for changing the color of tags for the Main Game as well as for Mods.

The files + path you should now have:
Grim Dawn/settings/text_en/tags_items.txt
Grim Dawn/settings/text_en/tags_ui.txt
Grim Dawn/settings/text_en/tagsgdx1_items.txt

Current Features
  • Prefix and Suffix have the color of their rarity, no matter the item they are on
  • The Item's Name
    • is in the color of the base item's rarity
    • MI are in different color than an item of the same rarity (rares are green, rare MI are olive)
  • Item Style/Quality are a different color (this includes Empowered and Mythical)
  • Damage Types in tooltips
    • Are in a color for their Damage Type (I used the colors I associated with them, some of them should probably be changed due to being too similar)
    • If you do not want this one, you can just delete Grim Dawn/settings/text_en/tags_ui.txt

Pictures
Because everybody loves them:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Tool to Set Your Own Colors
I created the files with a functionality inside my ModdingTools, you can use the same tool to set up your own colors:
Forum Thread for the Tool
Short Tutorial on how to use it

Change Log
v0.5
Spoiler!

v0.4
Spoiler!

v0.3
Spoiler!

v0.2
Spoiler!

Full Rainbow (ItemColorCoding_v0.5-fullRainbow.zip)
  • Item Names
    • MI have a different color than items of the same rarity
  • Tooltip
    • Each Damage Type has its own color
    • Attributes and other Special stats have their own separate color

Basic Highlighting (ItemColorCoding_v0.5-basicHighlighting.zip)
  • Item Names
    • MI have the same color as items of the same rarity
    • Style Tags for Common, Magical and Rare items have a different color (Empowered and Mythical is the vanilla color)
    • Epics and Legendaries are not using a specified color (therefore the (S) won't be there for Set items)
  • Tooltip
    • Damage Type Colors are in three groups (Elemental, Physical/Pierce, Other)
    • Damage over Time has a different color than the Direct Damage Types (but using the same grouping, with bleeding into the Physical/Pierce group)
    Spoiler!

Last edited by WareBare; 12-11-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:22 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WareBare View Post
Excuse me
These lines are omissions, or deliberately left blank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	??????.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	16800  
Old 11-22-2017, 04:52 AM
Advocate

Default v0.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt300 View Post
Excuse me
These lines are omissions, or deliberately left blank?
thanks for pointing that out, was a bug.

v0.2
  • Added Physical Damage and Pierce colors (+ Trauma & Bleed, using the same color for Bleed as I am for Pierce, trying to avoid a rainbow).
  • Fixed missing colors for Frostburn, Burn and Electrocute.
  • Added MIs with a unique color (trying out "Olive").
    • currently every Rare base item is considered to be an MI, I have to add a few exceptions to it.
  • Added AoM support (missing Affixes)
  • Item Style/Quality are in grey, if the full Item Name is in grey I missed a tag
  • Fixed an issue where tags got lost somehow.

v0.2 Direct Download or the attachment in the OP (same download link)
Old 11-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Initiate

As a newish player, "green items" are one of the more confusing parts in the game and a real time sink. I do not have the experience yet to know which green items to loot or to skip, so I loot all items that at least have a suffix and a prefix. Just so I don't miss out on that fabled double rare that I probably have failed to identify when I knew even less. So I spent about 20 minutes each loot run to carefully empty my bags to make sure I hang on to the double rare "good stuff".

This mod will likely be the first mod I want to try! I hope you and others will integrate it into other mods too, it feels like an essential.

My opinion on the colored lines in the text: I find them a bit distracting. Personally, from my newer point of view, I'd rather see color coded lines which bonuses are derived from base item (in white), which from the prefix (color a) and from the suffix (color b). Perhaps something to consider?
Old 11-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadao View Post
I hope you and others will integrate it into other mods too, it feels like an essential.
no need to be integrated by modders, whoever wants to look at the rainbow can do so
literally the reason why I even bothered with this, it's not forcing the rainbow on anybody. Works for any game mode, so if you don't want to play a Custom game you can stick to Main Campaign and Crucible and still have the rainbow.
Quote:
My opinion on the colored lines in the text: I find them a bit distracting. Personally, from my newer point of view, I'd rather see color coded lines which bonuses are derived from base item (in white), which from the prefix (color a) and from the suffix (color b). Perhaps something to consider?
sadly not possible, there is no way of telling what comes from where. I could only add some kind of silly indicator to the affix name, like (L) for Lightning (with the different color to stand out).

and if you don't want the colors inside the tooltip for the Damage Types you can delete
Grim Dawn/settings/text_en/tags_ui.txt
and the colors for Damage Types are gone
Old 11-22-2017, 01:32 PM
Counsel

NICE.
I will try this.
Thank you.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Initiate

I like this idea!
I'll try it out as soon as i get the chance!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:13 PM
Acolyte

This is the best QOL mod evar! Now I can estimate greens in the twinkling of an eye! Devs definitely must include this in vanilla game...
Old 11-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLIAK View Post
This is the best QOL mod evar! Now I can estimate greens in the twinkling of an eye! Devs definitely must include this in vanilla game...
I partially agree. I like what the mod adds, I like the ability to easily recognize colors and immediately understand what it is you're looking at with a quick glance, however I can see the rainbow of colors being a huge issue for some people.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Advocate

I'd absolutely love to see the tool so I could more easily create my own colour combinations, especially if we move towards a future where you decide to "damage type" code the names. Right now I'm not using the ui tags file because I don't personally like the damage type indication, but that affix and item coloring is absolutely wonderful to have and will greatly help newer players, too.

Tags
item filtering, wip