Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 09-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiGrav1ty View Post
Good stuff. I'm quite surprised that this build hasn't gotten more attention. Looks more appealing to me than the Dracarris build.
I've tried the Dracarris build (not quite to the BiS gear level) and it's super fun. This one I haven't tried yet, though. Considering it! Never made a Warlock before.

But correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the skeletons from Revenant's "Raise the Dead" devotion don't actually benefit from the IEE aura (or Blood of Dreeg or Flame-touched from Demo, or Enchanted flint component, or aura from Raven/Hellhound, etc, etc, etc). Because they do no weapon damage, they don't benefit from damage boosting auras like those.

If that's right, then this build might not be optimized since it includes the possible "dead weight" of Raise the Dead skellies that aren't contributing much beyond whatever self-focused Aether bonuses you have. (Those skellies are player-based, not pet-based for bonuses.) And also effort/skill points are pledged to Devastation for proccing those skellies which is also not optimal, if skellies aren't really being used to full efficiency.

Curious to hear DaShiv's thoughts on this!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Initiate

Been thinking about this a little more, and I'm curious if it might not be better to lean into the IEE aura aspect, similar to how Dracarris Incarnate rides heavy on Flame Touched from Demolitionist.

The advantage here is the Raven storm spirit is now a persistent aura with recent update (granting Elemental damage to all) which pairs nicely with the IEE aura which also grants Elemental damage.

Just thinking out loud, maybe then one could drop the Revenant devotion and get Solael's or Widow for further RR? Even drop Devastation if it's no longer needed to proc skellies.

Guess that completely changes the flavor of the build and it's not really Iskandra's Necromancer anymore. Sorta makes it more of a Prismatic Summoner?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:37 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by khornedeth View Post
But correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the skeletons from Revenant's "Raise the Dead" devotion don't actually benefit from the IEE aura (or Blood of Dreeg or Flame-touched from Demo, or Enchanted flint component, or aura from Raven/Hellhound, etc, etc, etc). Because they do no weapon damage, they don't benefit from damage boosting auras like those.
You have the right idea, but times were different. Here's a brief history of skeletons from Raise the Dead:

1.0.0.7: Pet-scaled pet with %WD (% weapon damage), thus affected by flat damage auras (consistent with other pet-scaled pets). This build was developed during this patch.
1.0.0.8: Changed to player-scaled pet, but %WD was erroneously retained so they were still affected by flat damage auras. Despite the severely weakened skeletons, I released the build anyway since it was the only active Gladiator-capable pet build at the time. Of course, later on Dracarris Incarnate significantly raised the bar for all pet builds.
1.0.1.1: %WD removed to be consistent with other player-scaled pets, thus no longer affected by flat damage auras.

You can see how much more powerful the skeletons originally were at full power (pet-scaled with full %WD) in this test video from build development during 1.0.0.7, when the skeletons were capable of landing crits like these:

Unfortunately, that's no longer the case. With Raise the Dead skeletons in its current state as player-scaled pets without any %WD bonuses, the celestial power is now worse than useless since it supplants a far more useful celestial proc on the character's primary attack ability. Hence, no competitive endgame build makes use of Raise the Dead in its current state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khornedeth View Post
Been thinking about this a little more, and I'm curious if it might not be better to lean into the IEE aura aspect, similar to how Dracarris Incarnate rides heavy on Flame Touched from Demolitionist.

[...]

Just thinking out loud, maybe then one could drop the Revenant devotion and get Solael's or Widow for further RR? Even drop Devastation if it's no longer needed to proc skellies.
IEE is already at max overcap for a massive 94 flat damage to all pets, and Storm Spirit also has max point investment. It's possible to improve the RR of this build, but without having extra Raise the Dead skeletons to wield all that elemental flat damage, there won't be much damage to support with RR.

Ultimately this build is entirely centered around the Raise the Dead celestial power. I'd definitely like to rework the build as a Spellbinder (Arcanist/Necromancer) once xpac hits, especially if Crate makes Raise the Dead actually usable again by reverting skeletons back to being pet-scaled. Until then, this build is somewhere in purgatory.

Pet/Aether Hybrid Warlock: Iskandra's Necromancer
Pet/Fire Hybrid Pyromancer: Dracarris Incarnate
Old 09-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Initiate

Wow, great post, you really know your stuff. That old screenshot damage was crazy!

Sad to hear the fate of the build, I share your hopes things might turn around with the xpac next month.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:35 AM
Initiate

Good stuff.. as someone who has relatively low hours in game; going to try this

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Initiate

Hello!

I just discovered this game and i am hooked!

I started out a WArder as i found a build to spam aoe and be tanky but i never quite liked the facetankign and the amount it took to kill stuff so i rolled a gunslinger with demo, and the fire dmg was very fun to dish out but i realzied i wanted mroe aoe and pets and stuff since i always love minions

Then i found this build and what can i say im enjoying myself a tonn!

But the NOOB qustions need answere so here goes:

1. What kind of weaponds should i be using?
- melee with looking at dmg
- Any with looking at passive buffs to stats?
- Whatever wep buffs pet the most in terms of (hp > dmg) ?

2. what stat prio is the most important on gear?
i am currently using some pants thats lvl 4 becasue they have spirit, %spirit and a lot of physicals on. should i swap to some better ones with defences?

sorry for beeign a noob here, thanks for awesome content and build!

- MEEP
Old 10-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Initiate

oh and i wonder about if there is any point having a 2nd set of weponds while elvling and what should they be? (rifle or gun or?)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Counsel

Build is "broken" as explained several posts up by the OP

so I don't know why your following it, but you can use the principals behind it to make your own.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:20 PM
Initiate

Default very nice

Lovely build. I'll try this one with a clean slate toon. But Raise Dead? What item grants that? Raise Dead is a Necromancer skill which was newly added to the newest DLC.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Praetorian

Raise the Dead is a devotion skill from the Revenant devotion constellation.

Tags
aether, necromancer, pet, skeleton, warlock