Old 08-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Counsel

Default Just curious.,..

Do we have a ballpark estimate on when we'll see beta? Not complaining or trying to rush development here, I know that these things take time, just anxious to play through the beta.
So....6 months? Maybe?

Last edited by Jyndal; 08-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Speaker

I'd also like to know, I really don't care how far away it is, but I'd like to have a general idea on what their development timeline is like.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3  
Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

I've been thinking that instead of just beta and final release, we may move to more incremental releases of content. Basically, pushing stuff out whenever we have a good chunk of new content done that can stand by itself.

To that end, I'm thinking we be able to get Nightblade mastery out in the next couple months. I'm making good progress on it now but wrapping up a mastery is always tough. Basically, the more skills you have in place, the more challenging it becomes to add in the last pieces of the puzzle and make it all fit together.

The mastery is pretty fun so far but I need to work on some skills to increase survivability past level 10.

The next segment of the world is going to take longer but I'll have a better idea of how long once I see how much progress we can make in the next two months. We've been putting some extra effort into coming up with quests that have more meaningful choices and consequences, and more quests / unique locations that you encounter through exploration. That's made development more time consuming but I think it will be worth it.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Praetorian

that isn't a bad plan, and sounds good that the nightblade mastery is nearly done, can't wait to play that class

I can understand the reasoning to release the game in chunks, and I'm sure most will be very supportive whatever you choose to do.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 08-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
I've been thinking that instead of just beta and final release, we may move to more incremental releases of content. Basically, pushing stuff out whenever we have a good chunk of new content done that can stand by itself.
As long as it's not going to cause you problems later on I think this is a very good idea, as you are not restricted to just 2 releases of content and you can add and remove bits of content as needed and see what bugs we can find and how many ways we can make thing misbehave and break stuff

The possible downside I can see is that releasing in bits rather than a balanced working whole, I guess, will make the balancing more public with the possibility of more complains from some people seeing overpowered skills/builds getting balanced/nerfed. Though with a post from yourself explaining (if this does happen) then people will be aware in advance and newcomers can be pointed to it.

Overall it sounds like it give you more freedom, and us more to break, so all good.

Quote:
We've been putting some extra effort into coming up with quests that have more meaningful choices and consequences, and more quests / unique locations that you encounter through exploration. That's made development more time consuming but I think it will be worth it.
Sounds well worth the wait, extra time and effort.

Edit. Just a passing thought.

What would happen to the people who have paid to support either through humble bundle and have the Pioneer version (beta only) or through KS and only have access to the beta, not the alpha (not sure if KS had beta only offers). Just if you scrap beta when would these supporters get access.

Or would it be a case that beta still exists, just that content can be added/removed before reaching the beta stage.

Last edited by Jaknet; 08-03-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added thoughts.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
I'd love that

There might be the danger of loosing time over repeatedly polishing up small releases - but I personally feel those don't need to be polished up that much. I believe people can appreciate a diamond in the rough, even if that means the game's pretty rough around the corners.
And you get to see a lot of rough corners in indie game pre-releases - heck, sadly even in final releases. More and more people are getting accustomed to that, and don't misjudge games because of seeing them in an early, unfinished state.
You need to direct your perfectionism towards the release product - and not let it run wild on those early versions.

Big publishers never do that, because they sell a lot of gold-plated rotten wood, which of course they can't ever show without the polish. They wouldn't let information out in the wild, which hasn't been completely touched up, distorted and censored by their marketing departments.

But for tiny indies, who started their career being indie, and never worked for a big, publisher-funded studio, this comes naturally.

As a converted indie who was used to working behind closed doors in the past, this might be a difficult step. You have to let go of some control, and this might feel like throwing your unprotected, inexperienced baby to the wolves. You want to protect and polish your game project just a bit longer. But by doing so, you only delay the inevitable, and the anxiety grows all that bigger, when you finally have release the game.

Doing it in smaller steps might actually be helpful with that - also you have the benefit of the game only going out to backers. Those are people who already have a personal investment in the game. They wont judge it that harshly.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaknet View Post
What would happen to the people who have paid to support either through humble bundle and have the Pioneer version (beta only) or through KS and only have access to the beta, not the alpha (not sure if KS had beta only offers). Just if you scrap beta when would these supporters get access.

Or would it be a case that beta still exists, just that content can be added/removed before reaching the beta stage.
This. It's the real question I had. If beta is to essentially be scrapped in favor of smaller, more closely timed releases, then at which point will the beta purchasers be able to get in?
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8  
Old 08-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

We will shift the game to Beta when the game as a whole is in the right place to do so. Just now rather than this being a sharp change in content/bug fixes/balance, it will be a more gradual transition.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Praetorian

Beta usually indicates "feature complete" does it not? Is crafting that close to being included?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
We will shift the game to Beta when the game as a whole is in the right place to do so. Just now rather than this being a sharp change in content/bug fixes/balance, it will be a more gradual transition.
Ok. So we're looking at possibly a 90% complete experience before it goes to beta then. That easily means a year at the least. Ok, so long as I can stop holding my breath, it's cool. I was hoping for more of a 4-6 month wait, but I can curb my enthusiasm for a while.

Tags
beta, masteries, quests