#1  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Godgiven Godgiven is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Default Will this game ever go Beta...

Thats how you get more people to support you.
I don't really want to give 50/85$ for a game I've never played and have no idea how it will feel to me, yeah I can watch some gameplay of it but it doesn't necessarily do much because obviously everyone has different opinions.

Just wondering if there is a time table or if you guys are fine with it being in Alpha for so long?

EDIT- Because there are A LOT of people talking about it ( that still haven't played it and want to ) because it ( like path of exile ) is suppose to make us forget about how bad Diablo III was.
I think you guys should go BETA asap. Get more feedback from more people faster.
  #2  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 PM
lidden lidden is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgiven View Post
I think you guys should go BETA asap. Get more feedback from more people faster.
Have you looked at the bug section? There are plenty of stuff in there for them to work on already. With more people playing they probably get too much feedback too quickly. There would also be people being annoyed with the quality of the game if hitting a cabinet would surprise teleport them or boss monsters not dropping any loot.
  #3  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Shacis's Avatar
Shacis Shacis is offline
Speaker
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 63
Default

Beta is more of a stage of progress. They can't really just make that happen on the fly y'know? They need to progress to a certain point and then the game will be a beta, probably when it's mostly just bug testing and everything is actually in there we'll be able to call it a beta. But if they rush it turns into D3.

So no. They can't. I Forbid it.
  #4  
Old 07-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Utukka Utukka is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 112
Default

I'd rather they take their time to make content rather than rush out content so we can test more in the beta. Don't forget that plenty of fools will complain about how they paid good $ and got a "broken"/unfinished game and demand more content because they are bored. Even with the smaller alpha, those kind of posts have creeped in.
  #5  
Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 AM
sunandsteel71's Avatar
sunandsteel71 sunandsteel71 is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgiven View Post
Thats how you get more people to support you.
I don't really want to give 50/85$ for a game I've never played and have no idea how it will feel to me, yeah I can watch some gameplay of it but it doesn't necessarily do much because obviously everyone has different opinions.

Just wondering if there is a time table or if you guys are fine with it being in Alpha for so long?

EDIT- Because there are A LOT of people talking about it ( that still haven't played it and want to ) because it ( like path of exile ) is suppose to make us forget about how bad Diablo III was.
I think you guys should go BETA asap. Get more feedback from more people faster.
Don't want to pay $50 dollars for a game u never played........ So u got D3 for free then?! Are u trollin man? Most of the people here atm paid to support an indie dev who are creating an old school style arpg. They appear not to be overly concerned with makin a squillion dollars out of it, but seem to want to make an excellent game. I put forward my money (I have already purchased a couple of Patron packs and intend to gift a couple more) because I believe Crate have the integrity to fulfil this project without allowing greed to corrupt their original vision.

If u don't want to put forth your coin to support this project so be it...... But don't come here crying for access to the game, and displaying your ignorance of the development process.
The fact that I have taken the time to answer u is more countenance than a tight-arse whinger like yourself deserves.
__________________
Hard core all the way baby
Showing some support.Now the grim owner of -
5X Digital 2 X Pioneer 3X Patron 2X Loyalist Support Packs

"You have served the Black Legion well. We do not forget our allies."
- Deathmark Vallar
  #6  
Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Godgiven Godgiven is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandsteel71 View Post
Don't want to pay $50 dollars for a game u never played........ So u got D3 for free then?! Are u trollin man? Most of the people here atm paid to support an indie dev who are creating an old school style arpg. They appear not to be overly concerned with makin a squillion dollars out of it, but seem to want to make an excellent game. I put forward my money (I have already purchased a couple of Patron packs and intend to gift a couple more) because I believe Crate have the integrity to fulfil this project without allowing greed to corrupt their original vision.

If u don't want to put forth your coin to support this project so be it...... But don't come here crying for access to the game, and displaying your ignorance of the development process.
The fact that I have taken the time to answer u is more countenance than a tight-arse whinger like yourself deserves.
Are you just an idiot or what? lol...
Most people got Diablo 3, hoping it was going to be if not better than diablo 2. So yeah, seeing as how I've never played this game, never wanted to get into TQ, No I don't know what this game is like. I never said I wouldn't support it...Again you must not know how to read or just pick one thing out and try to be a troll I guess, congrats. I wasn't necessarily crying for access either lol, Me as well as COUNTLESS other people on other forums whether it be D3 forums or PoE forums etc. Would like to play this as well without giving them 50/85$ ( just yet) that doesn't mean they cant make this Alpha a beta and add on to it regularly and fix things ( Just like PoE is doing )

So before you say " tight-arse" you should learn to read, or learn to have a conversation atleast without trying to throw what you think are insults around at people, because when it comes to money I would bet my house I have more than you, not that it matters who cares. It's just the principle of it its just a point I was making. GET MORE PEOPLE. That is all. You don't have to rush the game, but make what you have now open to more people. I never said, Please put the unfinished game out tomorrow and stop working on it..wtf. lol

I would definitely be willing to give a lot more than 85$ to support this team and this game, but I'd like to know what I'm supporting. Its that simple.

Last edited by Godgiven; 07-13-2013 at 01:31 AM.
  #7  
Old 07-13-2013, 02:01 AM
Harlequin's Avatar
Harlequin Harlequin is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,626
Default

Yea I think everyone needs to be a lot more calm here...

Anyway to answer your question:
Medierra basically said what you said. He said that they want to transition into beta earlier to make the game more popular by making it easier (cheaper) to access. He obviously couldn't give a timefrime but it should be soonish (a few months). that is my PERSONAL GUESS though.


btw: Wasn't Minecraft in aplha for like 2 or 3 years?
__________________
"It may take centuries to rise but once the Ice starts moving even mountains will yield."
- Armant, Prophet of the Northern Empire

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."
  #8  
Old 07-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Raven's Avatar
Raven Raven is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgiven View Post
Most people got Diablo 3, hoping it was going to be if not better than diablo 2. So yeah, seeing as how I've never played this game, never wanted to get into TQ, No I don't know what this game is like.
Can you imagine that most people playing Alpha paid for this game upfront hoping it will be as good if not better than TQ? Can you imagine some people did not play D2 and did not bought D3? Can you combine these two things and realise it is normal that not everyone buys GD Alpha pack?
You say you did not play TQ - well, that's your problem. It would be too risky to release less prepared game to you as no one can imagine what would you say about it. Some people did not like TQ, some loved it. Which one category you would fall into?

Quote:
Would like to play this as well without giving them 50/85$ ( just yet) that doesn't mean they cant make this Alpha a beta and add on to it regularly and fix things ( Just like PoE is doing )
Nope they can't. They have their own development plan that was discussed and welcomed by supporting community. This plan mostly sounds in short "it's done when it's done". Not when people want to get it but when it's done. Do you see the difference?
They have enough testers for this game stage for now. I guess Beta will be released when:
1. Enough content is created to get more people excited
2. Most bugs are fixed

Quote:
I would definitely be willing to give a lot more than 85$ to support this team and this game, but I'd like to know what I'm supporting. Its that simple.
It's simple. Either give or not. Don't haggle Wait if you want more polished and complete game. Purchase Alpha access now if you are eager to see it asap. But don't try to rush developers, you will not be the first one trying and it will take no effect. It will be released when it's done.
Btw, you will have to decide if you want to try this game or not prior to pay anyway. If you don't want to risk $50-80 why not try TQ as it is cheap as hell now? You will know what to expect (with a reasonable approximation) just for about $5 and there will be no reason to make nonsense posts on these forums
__________________
My GD videos appear here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RavenGrimDawn
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9  
Old 07-13-2013, 02:29 AM
medierra's Avatar
medierra medierra is offline
Crate Employee - Designer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,028
Default

No need for people to jump down this guy's throat just because he is unsure about making a relatively significant investment to get into the alpha. For some people that decision is easier or harder than others based on their financial situation, familiarity with TQ and us as developers and willingness to take risks.

To answer your question Godgiven, yes it will go beta at some point prior to the end of time. Given that D3 was in beta for about 8 months and alpha for who knows how long, I don't think our 2 month old alpha is going on for unseasonably long.

We're well aware that the price is a little high for most people who aren't dedicated TQ fans or general supporters of indie development. We have a good base of feedback already and really want to make sure the game is in good shape before we put it in front of a wider audience. The people who have supported us already are generally understanding of what it means for a game to be in alpha and understand that development of this nature takes time. The wider audience tends to just want a finished game and is accustomed to the type of 98% complete marketing beta put out by publishers. I think it might do more harm than good to put the game out into mainstream channels too early, without fixing the most prevalent bugs, performance issues and adding a little more content.

We're a pretty small studio, so content development is slower than at larger developers. If we open access up to the larger audience too soon, I think many players would quickly become discontent waiting for more content. We already have people who start thinking the project is dead if it takes us more than a week to release a new build. I think a better time to transition to beta may be shortly before we release the next chunk of content.

Believe me, I wish far more than you that the game was finished and everyone was enjoying it but these things take time and I don't think anyone (most people) want us to rush the process.
  #10  
Old 07-13-2013, 04:58 AM
Wildman Wildman is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgiven View Post
Would like to play this as well without giving them 50/85$ ( just yet) that doesn't mean they cant make this Alpha a beta and add on to it regularly and fix things ( Just like PoE is doing )
Godgiven, PoE is currently in open beta, and has been in a beta state for almost a year.

Quote:
Just wondering if there is a time table or if you guys are fine with it being in Alpha for so long?
What? So long? You do realize that Path of Exile's alpha lasted for about a year right? Oh that's right, they kept it on the QT, and the alpha forums couldn't be seen by the public. Grim Dawn has only been in an open alpha state for not quite 2 months, and Crate Entertainment has been really cool about not having a NDA, plus leaving the alpha forums open to the public.

If your not ready to commit to a 50 dollar + donation, that's cool, and understandable, but your first post on these boards didn't even say high first, and you got to admit, it did come across as being a bit demanding. Be patient dude/dude-et, beta is on the way, but like all good things...it takes time. CE still has a lot of work to do, so perhaps you should read the Alpha bug reports to get an idea of what is going on.
__________________
"All is cloaked in darkness and the darkness is my home. I shun the light but still I fight, until the dark is safe once again"
Closed Thread

Tags
beta, development

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.