Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Initiate

Default For the developpers.. I beg you..

First of all, hello. I'm a big fan of hack & slash, D2, Titan Quest and Dungeon Siege 2. I think Grim Dawn really bad on the apha and I'm sorry.

The interface is really horrible, it'll have to do something to make it modern and stylish, just like Van Helsing or D3. The animations are not terrible and slow. not dynamic at all. Today, in 2013, would it be possible to have a character editor? One like Neverwinter Online would be sufficient. I beg you, really, can we have a management group member as in Dungeon Siege 2? Manage a single character is a lack of ambition. I beg you, do not make us yet another h & s boring.

Currently grim dawn is a clone of titan quest, old and dated. Change all the learning interface talent is really disgusting. It has a big potencial, please do not do anything with your license. I myself participated in kickstarter campaign but please if you need to listen to a fan, just one, listen to me. I ask nothing else, no money, no recognition, just (finally) a real game Diablo 3 is crap and I hope you do not inspire (except for the interface). Thank you for reading me and thank you for being there for us, your fan ...

(I am french sorry for my English)

Last edited by grimskill; 05-30-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Supporter

The reason it's like this is because it uses the same game engine as TQ/IT. What you are asking would require a new game engine or at least a vast restructure of it.
It has been mentioned in forums years ago that if it wasn't for the fact that crate were ALLOWED to use the game engine, Grim Dawn wouldn't have gotten outside of the idea stage.
Let's be thankful for what we've gotten to date....

TQIT is still superior in many ways to lots of current games out there..... And importantly to many... Grim Dawn will also be modable!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Initiate

I like the interface, it's not perfect and a little more information here and there would be nice (e.g. a breakdown of my damage by type), but it does its job. And it most definitively is stylish.
The animations are not as dynamic as in Van Hellsing, but they are also not horrible (except for the death animation, I really hate that one).
I also don't see any reason for a character editor since you char will spend most of the time completely covered in armor. Yes, it's cool if you can tell your community that they will be able to build a characters body from scratch, but it really doesn't add anything to the game.
A sidekick is also not necessary at all.

I can't help it but if you really love Van Hellsing as much as your post suggest why don't you play it and let the rest of us have Grim Dawn? Is it so hard to believe that there are a lot of people that want something that is similar to TQ?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 AM
Praetorian

Everyone has their own taste when it comes to games, myself I'm fine with what GD has to offer. Sure their can be improvements but I'm fine with what I see right now.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimskill View Post
The interface is really horrible, it'll have to do something to make it modern and stylish, just like Van Helsing or D3.
not sure what you mean by that, the skills etc. at the bottom or the mastery screens etc.

We can agree / disagree about what the artwork for the bottom bar and mastery screens should look like, but the main difference between VH and D3 vs GD is that VH has two skills, D3 has four and GD has ten plus the mouse buttons...

I do not want a dumbed down interface for it to look 'prettier'. Now whether the artwork for it could / should be improved can be discussed.

Personally I do not care all that much either way, but I can see why you might find the other two prettier.

Quote:
Today, in 2013, would it be possible to have a character editor?
would it possible ? yes

would it be time well spent given that you are always in armor ? definitely not

Quote:
One like Neverwinter Online would be sufficient. I beg you, really, can we have a management group member as in Dungeon Siege 2? Manage a single character is a lack of ambition. I beg you, do not make us yet another h & s boring.
actually, these days I prefer single char RPGs (Skyrim, Witcher, just about any ARPG) over party based RPGs (Dragon Age), so I definitely do not want party management. Also, in an ARPG that is very uncommon, at the very least any other member of the party would need to be PC controlled, not through you (which makes this a lot of work if you don't want to have a party stumbling along and always getting in your way I assume)

Quote:
Currently grim dawn is a clone of titan quest, old and dated.
matter of perspective I guess. To me it is a clone of TQ, the best ARPG to date (and yes, that includes D3 and VH)

Quote:
Change all the learning interface talent is really disgusting. It has a big potencial, please do not do anything with your license.
not sure what you mean here the mastery screens ?

I agree some graphics could be nicer (bigger icons, nicer icons, that kind of thing), I would not complain if that were changed

but ultimately none of this even matters much to me, I want a good gameplay, good classes / skills, good gear (lots of different affixes, charms / relics and crafting (artifacts)) with the main game (not the interface) looking good

As far as the main game is concerned it is all a little too brownish to me, you are slogging through a swamp for ages, with everything looking rather similar and no memorable landmarks. I much rather they work on that a bit
Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Initiate

All I need of the interface at this point is a auto-combine button for components. Preferably in all places where such items could reside. A separate tab for components would be neat as well.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 AM
Initiate

Smile

I love it. Game's so good it plucked me out of the NWN mmo which I was really enjoying...until GD.

My 2 cents? Focus on the story and side quests, more classes with abilities. Just more things that require more imagination and not so much heavy programming and art lifting.

A concept similar to the Foundry in NWN where peeps could upload content onto a sharing site, like a fan community would be pretty awesome.

Thanks for listening and congratulations on making awesomeness.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegzon View Post
I love it. Game's so good it plucked me out of the NWN mmo which I was really enjoying...until GD.

My 2 cents? Focus on the story and side quests, more classes with abilities. Just more things that require more imagination and not so much heavy programming and art lifting.

A concept similar to the Foundry in NWN where peeps could upload content onto a sharing site, like a fan community would be pretty awesome.

Thanks for listening and congratulations on making awesomeness.

Give it time, and there will be places like that, probably not hosted by Crate, but there will be a place for fans to gather for content from one another.

And before i submit I'd like to throw in a quick jab at Van Helsing, it is horrible.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 AM
Speaker

In terms of customisation Grim Dawn is leaps and bounds ahead of D3/Van Helsing.
Let alone Grim Dawn wasn't in development for as long as D3 was and look how D3 turned out (a game that had solid game play, wasn't really graphically impressive and was a complete dumb-down of the genre in order to appeal to a wider audience). Van Helsing has the weakest combat by far (hit detection and sound of combat needs a lot of work, excluding animations) and a weak skill system for what its worth VH is a cheap game so eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWm0q20C3kQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfaxmNA8-HU

New boss fight cleared with ease :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMhCfMyuui8
Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Champion

Smile

I love the UI, it is absolutely incredible and reminds me of good old Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura in some way!

I am so happy that Grim Dawn doesn't appeal to "modern and stylish" audience. I am personally fed up with all this hand-guiding, modern looking, tooltip-everywhere, beautiful, colorful, dummy-proof shit! (no offense here, just stating my opinion)

Just let the game go its own way, it deserves a chance to change this horrible gaming industry (in some way at least)..

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
Closed Thread