Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooby View Post
A crafting system is already in the works - but not much is known about it yet.
Wow! It is something really interesting.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Herald

WHAT ! if i knew before that the lead designer had a baby i never backed the game i'm the father of a one-year old daughter and i don't even have the time to PLAY Grim Dawn (or just a little when she sleeps). How can you just expect to finish the game one day

of course i'm kidding, congrats and like the others :

the game is wonderful so far, keep up the great work to release the game you expect, i'm sure it'll worth the wait.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Champion

Meh, I have a copy coming on completion. When it happens, I'll enjoy it.

Take your time guys, I'll be around for a few years yet.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Hah, well, thankfully 3d game animations are not nearly as time consuming to produce. A full attack animation generally only takes about 1/2 a day. We spend time on animation mainly because it is necessary to make the game work and for combat to feel good. I don't think we spend undue time on animation, beyond what is necessary to create them, get them working properly and ensure that combat feels good.

Animations effect not just the visuals but also how combat feels; how responsive and impact it is. Without good sound, animations and effects, combat would feel flat and the game wouldn't be much fun.
Understood....thanks for your reply and thanks for the good hard work that you all put in.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Counsel

I may be one of those referenced in the "lazy devs" comment. I hope I never implied in my posts that I considered the development team anything less than hard working, diligent, well meaning people. I was just curious as to when I might be able to experience the epicness that is Grim Dawn.

Awesome job, Arthur and crew. I think this will be a game by which others should look to draw their standards from. *cough, cough, Blizzard, cough*
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #76  
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Hah, no, the "lazy devs" thing isn't directed at anyone, it's just sort of a long-standing joke going back to TQ where people would occasionally remark in posts that we were lazy and / or stupid for not including certain features or missing bugs and balance issues.

Something like: "6 person multiplayer limit?! what a joke... Devs are either lazy or stupid if they couldn't be bothered to program a couple more lines of code that would have allowed thousands of simultaneous users so that I could host an MMO server"
Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Hah, no, the "lazy devs" thing isn't directed at anyone, it's just sort of a long-standing joke going back to TQ where people would occasionally remark in posts that we were lazy and / or stupid for not including certain features or missing bugs and balance issues.

Something like: "6 person multiplayer limit?! what a joke... Devs are either lazy or stupid if they couldn't be bothered to program a couple more lines of code that would have allowed thousands of simultaneous users so that I could host an MMO server"
Lol

It would seem that being involved with indie projects through crowd funding has helped to raise the general awareness of the gaming community regarding the amount of blood sweat and toil that is involved in bringing a game to full release. I must say most of the people who comment on this forum seem well informed and thoughtful. They seem to desire to make a genuine effort to contribute something useful to the games developement by way of support and feedback.

Last edited by Grimace; 08-23-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Praetorian

Bit late to this update as I've been busy in life, and it is sad to hear about the delay but it is quite understandable in the end.

I remember another post saying something along the lines of switching the release stages to little chunks of content rather then jumping from alpha to beta in one large chunk of content upgrades and whatnot.

So I'm kinda wondering if the release of content will still add to the alpha content slowly and eventually work up to the beta release or if we will continue to stay with what's in the alpha (with upgrades to the system/animation and stuff) and just improvements on the parts of the alpha.

Either way I'll be fine as I'll be busy this year with 3d stuff.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Speaker

How about using the community? I know it'd be a hot mess if you tried to involve people in game development with the actual game engine..But good quests/lore, is something the community could provide with a little encouragement.
Arrange a contest, have people write quests with a lore backdrop and full dialogue within the confines of the engine; top ..3(4-5-6-7-8-9-10)..gets an alpha key..and you get free work done while at the same time pleasing and involving the community.
Art contests for UI elements / Loading screen backgrounds..A new game logo *ahem* (sorry..but it just looks like you're trying to create an aarpg out of apocalypse now).
A real lore backdrop that would be communicated to the users through books placed in-game (on tables..found in chests etc) would also be an "easy to do" addition that would provide immersion, this is also a place the community could assist you with.

Another suggestion would be to have a community poll say once a month at least if, instead of once a year..those things really makes "us-the people" feel like we're involved and that our opinions matter.

Anyways..just throwing some suggestions at you..I know you're busy working your ass off =)

Edit:
Just wanted to say something else. I can't even begin to imagine how much you've put on the line for this game Arthur. You alone have the full responsibility for this game, and when developers you've struggled to hire, move on because they need the security of a big publisher based company, well..that must be "Really" frustrating. The setback of having the ones that has spent half a year learning to use the tools to create this game, leave ..must be gnawing on your bones. Seeing forum users accuse you of NOT putting enough work into this game is just hilarious..Your salary, your career..Your care for your new born baby...All comes down to realizing this game. No big publisher based game developer would ever have put so much personal info on the web just to keep people informed about the current state of the game..That's the indie spirit right there.

-Eldrach out...Keep up the good work

Last edited by Eldrach; 08-26-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Supporter

Keep on working away at the job of getting Grim Dawn built, like may others have said I too would rather see a polished product some where down the road rather than a buggy one in the very near future. I backed this in Feb of 2011, and look forward to seeing a well made game when it is done.

Tags
animations, crate, development