Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11  
Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyndal View Post
Ok. So we're looking at possibly a 90% complete experience before it goes to beta then. That easily means a year at the least. Ok, so long as I can stop holding my breath, it's cool. I was hoping for more of a 4-6 month wait, but I can curb my enthusiasm for a while.
I don't recall mentioning any numbers or dates in my response, but you are welcome to theorycraft.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
I don't recall mentioning any numbers or dates in my response, but you are welcome to theorycraft.
With all due respect, theorycrafting is all I have, based on some rather vague answers to my questions.
I understand that this game has been worked on for some time now, and is only just into the alpha phase. I also understand that the team, including yourself, is working hard to see this project finished, and I appreciate that.
The 90% I mentioned is through past experience. Most games I've played in beta, whether open or closed, are usually 80%-90% complete. As for the supposition of a one year estimate on completion, I'm looking at the current rate of progress for the features mentioned, such as the 2 month estimate for the new class, and making an informed assumption on the beta release.
I'm not saying 'hurry up', I'm just wanting to know, in a very large margin, when I can expect to play beta. Is it more than a year? Less? I don't think it's unreasonable to ask these questions and expect more than a 'it'll be ready when it's ready' type of answer.
I'm sure there has to be a rather flexible schedule as to when this game is going to go into beta, whether it's in small increments, or one large content dump. I'd just like to know what's up.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Champion

Quote:
I'm not saying 'hurry up', I'm just wanting to know, in a very large margin, when I can expect to play beta. Is it more than a year? Less? I don't think it's unreasonable to ask these questions and expect more than a 'it'll be ready when it's ready' type of answer.
This project goes so successfull just because a one simple thing. Nobody stands behind Crate team and breaths on back of their heads. Now you are going to change that eh?
Look. Even while Crate does not give any particular dates or numbers, there are always people who demand "you promised that will be ready at autumn, I wanna it now!". Guess what happen if you ever have Crate to give any particular number or date? They will either have to spend 10x more times to answer every question "why so long?" or "I thought it will be other time!" or worse - they will finally have to rush the development. Do you want this?
Things are unpredictable so it's better to not bet on particular date. GD will come sooner or later - but it will come when it's ready. Crate can name just any date or range right now - 90% that it will change in few coming months. Why want them to say what they don't know yet? They always give more detailed information when they can be sure it will happen as planned.

You still want to hear a particular date? OK gather up your patience and come back after a year to ask again (if anything will happen sooner it will be a pleasant surprise)
Old 08-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
You still want to hear a particular date? OK gather up your patience and come back after a year to ask again (if anything will happen sooner it will be a pleasant surprise)
Funny thing is, this is a better answer than any given by the staff.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Champion

Quote:
Funny thing is, this is a better answer than any given by the staff.
I hope it helped They just don't want to give empty promises, I can understand them perfectly. Be patient, please.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Praetorian

Yea I think it's best to have fewer expectations when it comes to the progression of updates/added content when it comes to GD.

If anything check back every 2 weeks for the Grim Misadventures and as for any definite date of beta/end release... I'm quite sure CE learned the mistake of giving out guesstimates when it came to the alpha's release. They gave a ballpark date for the release of the alpha which was along the lines of "minimum of _ weeks to max of _ weeks" in which those possible dates came and went and quite a few people were rather frustrated due to the hype of the possible release for the alpha.

For myself I merely enjoy the forums and preoccupy my time with other things while waiting for GD's progression.

The wait may be long but I'm quite sure the majority of people here would think that the wait will be worth it in the end.
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #17  
Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Ok. So we're looking at possibly a 90% complete experience before it goes to beta then. That easily means a year at the least. Ok, so long as I can stop holding my breath, it's cool. I was hoping for more of a 4-6 month wait, but I can curb my enthusiasm for a while.
I hesitate to make a prediction but I'd say 4-6 months is probably a good estimate of when we'll open access to beta. That isn't to say that the game will technically be what I'd call beta. We've concluded that it makes more sense to open up access earlier, once alpha has run for a sufficient period and we've resolved all the major bugs.

We may do the same thing later on for people with keys for the finished game - after "beta" has run for a while, we might open it up to everyone ahead of completion. That will help alleviate pressure from people waiting to play the game and allow us to focus on making a quality experience without feeling compelled to rush to release.

In retrospect, we shouldn't have named access levels based on any specific phase of development, we should have just made it Early, Mid, Late access or something along those lines and then used our discretion to determine when the appropriate time was...
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Counsel

Thank you. That's all I was wanting to hear.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Icefire

Just promise Jyndal, or anybody else, and I am NOT saying you will do this, but please don't come on in 6 months saying "Where is the beta?? You promised it within 6 months!!" OK?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
Just promise Jyndal, or anybody else, and I am NOT saying you will do this, but please don't come on in 6 months saying "Where is the beta?? You promised it within 6 months!!" OK?
No, no...it's not like that with me. As long as I see definable progress, I'm good. It's just that it had been awhile, and I was curious as to how much longer (give or take a few months) before I would be able to get in on the fun.

Tags
beta, masteries, quests