Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Herald

Default PS4 fans stoop to a low point...

http://news.yahoo.com/playstation-4-...205528106.html

Hipsters have nothing better to do than troll a petition!
– Max Payne
Old 07-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/playstation-4-...205528106.html

Hipsters have nothing better to do than troll a petition!
People troll things perceived to be shitty. Honestly I am not surprised. Microsofts initial ideas for the system show an obvious lack of consideration or knowledge of what its fans want.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Praetorian

It should fail, Microsoft doesn't deserve "gamer" fans, they don't do anything that gamers actually want.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
It should fail, Microsoft doesn't deserve "gamer" fans, they don't do anything that gamers actually want.
They have completely re-structured their entire Xbox Division after this fiasco.

I think a woman is in charge of the division now.

Anyway, hopefully, she will be less stubborn and more open to new ideas opposite of like Bobby Kotick/Jay Wilson who are forcing their version of fun on us.
– Max Payne

Last edited by Assassin; 07-13-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Praetorian

A woman in charge is gonna change things you think?

LOL

Come on, what the hell is gonna change. hahahaha

microsoft is a money grabbing company, that's all they care about.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
A woman in charge is gonna change things you think?

LOL

Come on, what the hell is gonna change. hahahaha

microsoft is a money grabbing company, that's all they care about.
You don't seem to understand marketing...
The number of female gamers has been growing and growing. Well, they finally have some representation on the very top.
So, Microsoft can start to cater to various audiences now by getting idea input from both sexes. Not just 'young male' hardcore gamers.
– Max Payne

Last edited by Assassin; 07-13-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Praetorian

Yeah, what they're doing doesn't cater to any gamer. Your argument still fails.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Advocate

I can't agree with Asylum any more. He's totally right.

This is video game math.
Fun = Money

As money increases the size of the company increases. Once the company goes public anything that it once resembled is destroyed. Then all that matters are profit% increases and quarterly earnings for shareholders. All passion is lost and the games suck.

lack of passion = shitty games.

Who cares if the graphics are ZOMG UBER AMAZING POOP YOUR PANTS if the game isn't very fun. Why is there so much emphasis on graphics these days? How real does the bullet in the virtual nazi's skull have to look before people are satisfied. What a waste of talent to have people work on those same boring games with minor changes in every iteration. Why aren't people bored of that shit yet?

This is why I stopped by consoles awhile ago. The PS4 is definately the better product but I only might buy it. Its not for sure. There will still be Final fantasy 1billion, call of duty infinity, and black ops a googleplex. These games are boring to me now. I want new and fresh things. I like steam and the idie titles I can find on it. We will start seeing more of that with the PS4 but I will wait and see if there is enough there to warrant a purchase or not.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9  
Old 07-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier Wolfcastle View Post
Who cares if the graphics are ZOMG UBER AMAZING POOP YOUR PANTS if the game isn't very fun. Why is there so much emphasis on graphics these days? How real does the bullet in the virtual nazi's skull have to look before people are satisfied. What a waste of talent to have people work on those same boring games with minor changes in every iteration. Why aren't people bored of that shit yet?
Publisher marketing people care. They know how to recognize and sell cutting edge graphics. They aren't as good at predicting what is going to be fun and the intangibility of fun can make it hard to market even when a developer succeeds in creating a really fun game. The process of creating cutting edge graphics is also more straightforward and less risky to achieve than creating innovative fun... so, that's why there is so much emphasis on graphics.

It's the same reason publisher development tends to be focused on creating back of the box bullet point features / gimmicks rather than just making a fun game. Fun is too unreliable and you can't market a game by saying "Its just really fun! The combat just totally feels better than Brand X..." - you need more concrete features to sell.

I always felt like when I pitched to publishers, I had to create one plan for them that delivered the marketing hooks they needed to feel comfortable green-lighting a game while at the same time working on my own plan for how to actually make the game fun - often while trying to mitigate the detrimental effect of the stupid marketing gimmicks we had to promise to deliver.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Publisher marketing people care. They know how to recognize and sell cutting edge graphics. They aren't as good at predicting what is going to be fun and the intangibility of fun can make it hard to market even when a developer succeeds in creating a really fun game. The process of creating cutting edge graphics is also more straightforward and less risky to achieve than creating innovative fun... so, that's why there is so much emphasis on graphics.

It's the same reason publisher development tends to be focused on creating back of the box bullet point features / gimmicks rather than just making a fun game. Fun is too unreliable and you can't market a game by saying "Its just really fun! The combat just totally feels better than Brand X..." - you need more concrete features to sell.

I always felt like when I pitched to publishers, I had to create one plan for them that delivered the marketing hooks they needed to feel comfortable green-lighting a game while at the same time working on my own plan for how to actually make the game fun - often while trying to mitigate the detrimental effect of the stupid marketing gimmicks we had to promise to deliver.
Words of wisdom from someone in the biz.

Tags
platforms