Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Assassin's Avatar
Assassin Assassin is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,313
Default PS4 fans stoop to a low point...

http://news.yahoo.com/playstation-4-...205528106.html

Hipsters have nothing better to do than troll a petition!
__________________
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Sea of Thieves
WAITING FOR: Close Combat: The Bloody First | State of Decay 2
“I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings.”
– Max Payne
  #2  
Old 07-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Rainier Wolfcastle's Avatar
Rainier Wolfcastle Rainier Wolfcastle is offline
Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/playstation-4-...205528106.html

Hipsters have nothing better to do than troll a petition!
People troll things perceived to be shitty. Honestly I am not surprised. Microsofts initial ideas for the system show an obvious lack of consideration or knowledge of what its fans want.
__________________
Oppa is Gangnam style!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0
  #3  
Old 07-13-2013, 04:55 PM
ASYLUM101's Avatar
ASYLUM101 ASYLUM101 is online now
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,503
Default

It should fail, Microsoft doesn't deserve "gamer" fans, they don't do anything that gamers actually want.
  #4  
Old 07-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Assassin's Avatar
Assassin Assassin is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
It should fail, Microsoft doesn't deserve "gamer" fans, they don't do anything that gamers actually want.
They have completely re-structured their entire Xbox Division after this fiasco.

I think a woman is in charge of the division now.

Anyway, hopefully, she will be less stubborn and more open to new ideas opposite of like Bobby Kotick/Jay Wilson who are forcing their version of fun on us.
__________________
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Sea of Thieves
WAITING FOR: Close Combat: The Bloody First | State of Decay 2
“I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings.”
– Max Payne

Last edited by Assassin; 07-13-2013 at 05:16 PM.
  #5  
Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 PM
ASYLUM101's Avatar
ASYLUM101 ASYLUM101 is online now
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,503
Default

A woman in charge is gonna change things you think?

LOL

Come on, what the hell is gonna change. hahahaha

microsoft is a money grabbing company, that's all they care about.
  #6  
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Assassin's Avatar
Assassin Assassin is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
A woman in charge is gonna change things you think?

LOL

Come on, what the hell is gonna change. hahahaha

microsoft is a money grabbing company, that's all they care about.
You don't seem to understand marketing...
The number of female gamers has been growing and growing. Well, they finally have some representation on the very top.
So, Microsoft can start to cater to various audiences now by getting idea input from both sexes. Not just 'young male' hardcore gamers.
__________________
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Sea of Thieves
WAITING FOR: Close Combat: The Bloody First | State of Decay 2
“I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings.”
– Max Payne

Last edited by Assassin; 07-13-2013 at 09:47 PM.
  #7  
Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 PM
ASYLUM101's Avatar
ASYLUM101 ASYLUM101 is online now
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,503
Default

Yeah, what they're doing doesn't cater to any gamer. Your argument still fails.
  #8  
Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Rainier Wolfcastle's Avatar
Rainier Wolfcastle Rainier Wolfcastle is offline
Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 493
Default

I can't agree with Asylum any more. He's totally right.



This is video game math.
Fun = Money

As money increases the size of the company increases. Once the company goes public anything that it once resembled is destroyed. Then all that matters are profit% increases and quarterly earnings for shareholders. All passion is lost and the games suck.

lack of passion = shitty games.

Who cares if the graphics are ZOMG UBER AMAZING POOP YOUR PANTS if the game isn't very fun. Why is there so much emphasis on graphics these days? How real does the bullet in the virtual nazi's skull have to look before people are satisfied. What a waste of talent to have people work on those same boring games with minor changes in every iteration. Why aren't people bored of that shit yet?


This is why I stopped by consoles awhile ago. The PS4 is definately the better product but I only might buy it. Its not for sure. There will still be Final fantasy 1billion, call of duty infinity, and black ops a googleplex. These games are boring to me now. I want new and fresh things. I like steam and the idie titles I can find on it. We will start seeing more of that with the PS4 but I will wait and see if there is enough there to warrant a purchase or not.
__________________
Oppa is Gangnam style!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9  
Old 07-14-2013, 02:33 AM
medierra's Avatar
medierra medierra is offline
Crate Employee - Designer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier Wolfcastle View Post
Who cares if the graphics are ZOMG UBER AMAZING POOP YOUR PANTS if the game isn't very fun. Why is there so much emphasis on graphics these days? How real does the bullet in the virtual nazi's skull have to look before people are satisfied. What a waste of talent to have people work on those same boring games with minor changes in every iteration. Why aren't people bored of that shit yet?
Publisher marketing people care. They know how to recognize and sell cutting edge graphics. They aren't as good at predicting what is going to be fun and the intangibility of fun can make it hard to market even when a developer succeeds in creating a really fun game. The process of creating cutting edge graphics is also more straightforward and less risky to achieve than creating innovative fun... so, that's why there is so much emphasis on graphics.

It's the same reason publisher development tends to be focused on creating back of the box bullet point features / gimmicks rather than just making a fun game. Fun is too unreliable and you can't market a game by saying "Its just really fun! The combat just totally feels better than Brand X..." - you need more concrete features to sell.

I always felt like when I pitched to publishers, I had to create one plan for them that delivered the marketing hooks they needed to feel comfortable green-lighting a game while at the same time working on my own plan for how to actually make the game fun - often while trying to mitigate the detrimental effect of the stupid marketing gimmicks we had to promise to deliver.
  #10  
Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Jyndal's Avatar
Jyndal Jyndal is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Publisher marketing people care. They know how to recognize and sell cutting edge graphics. They aren't as good at predicting what is going to be fun and the intangibility of fun can make it hard to market even when a developer succeeds in creating a really fun game. The process of creating cutting edge graphics is also more straightforward and less risky to achieve than creating innovative fun... so, that's why there is so much emphasis on graphics.

It's the same reason publisher development tends to be focused on creating back of the box bullet point features / gimmicks rather than just making a fun game. Fun is too unreliable and you can't market a game by saying "Its just really fun! The combat just totally feels better than Brand X..." - you need more concrete features to sell.

I always felt like when I pitched to publishers, I had to create one plan for them that delivered the marketing hooks they needed to feel comfortable green-lighting a game while at the same time working on my own plan for how to actually make the game fun - often while trying to mitigate the detrimental effect of the stupid marketing gimmicks we had to promise to deliver.
Words of wisdom from someone in the biz.
__________________
Professional Kitten Stomper.
Closed Thread

Tags
platforms

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.