Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Emissary

Default [B30] How to 2H Battlemage - HC Ultimate 10min BoC runs, afk loghorrean etc.

BUILD IS NERFED TO THE GROUND IN B31, NIGHTBLADE/SOLDIER USING EXACT SAME PLAYSTYLE IS NOW BETTER THAN ARCANIST/SOLDIER in all aspects. Arcanist is no longer a worthwhile support mastery as nightblade provides both more damage and survivability for this exact build. on a positive note, leviathan really got buffed, its now BiS over stonefist

Here to share one of my favorite and IMO the best HC farming builds.

Pros:
- very safe and tanky, massive amounts of autoheal
- able to skip annoying/worthless trash due to above
- easy to gear
- flexibility, can swap between blade arc/cadence/blitz per situation
- automatic oh shit button for HC with menhir's will

cons:
- overall damage not as high as some other builds, but we make up by being tanky and being able to skip annoying trash that doesn't drop stuff.

Video - 10min BoC run, no consumables, never dropping low, face tank sharzul 100% to 0 etc.

https://youtu.be/prEx4-cXox0

I can add videos of other boss runs per request, but BoC is the hardest dungeon so i don't think I need to do a ToS one, but happy to do so by request.

Skills:

Grim Calc with +skills, http://grimcalc.com/build/UX8gVD
(veterancy is optional, the resist passives can be adjusted per your current gear setup)

Offense: 2 setups
1. More single target heavy - Cadence LMB + spam on CD: transmuted BA or blitz + rebuke
2. More AOE heavy - Blade arc LMB + spam on CD: blitz+rebuke

support skills: spam these on CD for the most part
Warcry
Olexra's flash freeze

Oh-shit buttons for HC:
Mirror of cantspellthatshit - use in between potions, or when you expect a big burst of damage incoming.
Aether Cluster - use when the potion/mirror is down and you are still in trouble
Alt+F4 = cheating in HC, don't do it, I know where you live.
TP out with fast fingers - only works in certain areas.

Auras/buffs:
Field of command + squad tactics
Oleron's Rage
Maiven's Sphere of protection
Counterstrike - 1 point, optional
Divinesteel haubark aura (item, optional)
Voidward Aura (item, optional)

Devotions:

(4 points in behemoth, 2 points in targo the builder and full hawk are the ones being cutoff)
Devotions focus on getting massive amounts of self heal through behemoth, tree of life, combined with juggernaught, menhir's will, and veterancy.

The 2 points in light of empyrion are specifically for farming chthonics, you can move them elsewhere as needed. If you lack resists, change scales of ulcama to lion to free up 3 points and put those in light of empyrion for a bunch of resists. May also change Panther to ulo the keeper - take 1 point from one of the 8% hp ones from targo the builder or behemoth to complete ulo.

My current gear setup:

-Yes I run almost all content with negative aether resist aether dmg isn't that strong except for a few aether specific areas, for aether enchanted heros, i found can mostly tank through their ground aoe stuff with self regen even with minus aether resist.

-yes I only have 8.3k paper dps pre proc, but with big crits, massive amounts of -enemy physical resist (45 from warcry, 75 assassins mark, 30 from ring of the black matriach and 50% multiplier from maw of despair) things still die at a reasonable rate. On a monster with 0 phys resist, this comes up to a whopping (45+75+30) x 1.5 = -225 physical resist, more than tripling your damage.

-this is a pretty defense focused setup due to HC, on SC you can build more offensively.

weapon: Stonefist Rebuke - BiS physical resist is hugely important, as is +soldier skills, the -enemy DA is like giving yourself extra OA, this thing is ridiculous for a lvl 50 weap. If you don't have this, Elite Chosen Warmaul from Kymon or Leviathan are both reasonable options.

Relic: Juggernaught - BiS, the proc is ridiculously good for HC in a regen focused build. %OA, +skill, nuff said

Helm: Maw of Despair - BiS, this is for the proc, it is like large aoe manticore thats up 3/5 of the time and also stuns. +3 break morale combined with either devils crossing chest or warlord shoulders will take your breakmorale to lvl 22, it scales really hard at the last 2 levels, so very important. if you are not able to take it lvl 22, then keep it at 12,

Boots: Elite Rhowari Greaves or Golemborne (either one BiS depending whether you need offense or defense in your present setup)

gloves: Grasp of Unchained Might - probably BiS, not sure. substitute with Homestead rep gloves if you don't have this

medal: Badge Of Mastery - kinda meh now, not sure if BiS anymore

Ring #1: Ring of the Black Matriarch - BiS, for the -30 physical resist
Ring #2: Vendor a good yellow - OA+resists, or IAS+resists

Belt: Warpath Girdle - the similar purple one is better.

Legs: Empowered Legplates of Valor - really good, there are some good purple ones too.

chest: Divinesteel haubark - BiS for chthonic farming. Devils crossing chest is really good too if you don't have this.

Shoulder: Warlord Spaulders bad, im only using it to take break morale to lvl 22, Titan pauldrons are probably BiS depending setup

neck: Empowered essense of beronath this is not bad but - peerless eye of beronath is better.

gearing is pretty flexible, nothing here is a absolute must for this build, swap around to get the resists and stats you need based on your current setup.

For offense: Prioritize getting OA to around 2400-2500 without procs.
For defense: prioritize physical resist + maxing the resists needed for the zone you are farming.

FAQ - work in progress:
Q: I have max resists, and 18k hp, why do I feel squishy?
A: You probably lack physical resist/armor. An incoming melee hit is first reduced by a % from warcry,maivens,%reduced chthonic dmg etc, then the left over value is reduced by a flat amount from your armor. the break point is when the left over damage after % reduction is similar to your armor value at which point you take nearly no dmg. The further away you are from this break point the exponentially more damage you take from even regular mobs.

because you are usually getting zerged by many enemies, reducing each 1000 damage hit by 800 or 980 may not seem huge but its actually the difference between taking 200 dmg vs 20 dmg.

200 armor may not look like much when you already have 1k+ armor, but if these brings you close to the breakpoint, they will make a massive difference in the damage you take.

Q: Does -resist X stack with -resist Y?
A: for resist debuffs, wording is very important. you can simultaenously stack:

-one source of "-n resist" or "n reduced resist" examples include plaguebearer,mark of dreeg, warcry breakmorale
-multiple sources of "-n% resist" examples include black matriach, assassins mark, exterminus
-one source of "n%reduced resist" examples include manticore, viper, maw of despair. this source is MULTIPLIED to the enemy's resist (positive or negative) after the SUM of the above are applied.

multiple sources of -DA does not stack.

planned for future: leveling guide

Last edited by jajaja; 02-23-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Counsel

Very interesting, I rolled a 2H battlemage 2 days ago after my level 84 2H Blademaster failed. I am currently level 64 and moving along smoothly. I am wondering how this build will hold up nemesis farming, as that seems to have the greatest payoff endgame. I have never really bothered with BoC for endgame.

I have all the gear you listed, except the Maw of Despair. But I will steal the rest off my 84 2H BM, and put him in the closet forever. I was planning on running this with 4 pieces of Markovian's set and a Leviathan, any reason not to?

Last edited by JTDSR; 02-20-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDSR View Post
Very interesting, I rolled a 2H battlemage 2 days ago after my level 84 2H Blademaster failed. I am currently level 64 and moving along smoothly. I am wondering how this build will hold up nemesis farming, as that seems to have the greatest payoff endgame. I have never really bothered with BoC for endgame.

I have all the gear you listed, except the Maw of Despair. But I will steal the rest off my 84 2H BM, and put him in the closet forever. I was planning on running this with 4 pieces of Markovian's set and a Leviathan, any reason not to?
The nemesis's i've fought so far are moosilauke and benn'jar. benn'jar is a total joke and moosilauke is easy with maxed freeze reduce using rhowari boots and your passives.

I don't have the rep to fight the rest of the nemesis yet, i hear fabius can be very bursty, but if any build is built to survive burst, this is one of the best, I haven't fought him so can't comment.

as per gear section, leviathan is a reasonable option, i like the phys resist on stonefist and extra +skills better. I dont have it but markovian's set looks pretty bad, the +skills on it are pretty irrelevant to this build, but again gearing is very flexible and really depends on what you have available

Last edited by jajaja; 02-20-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Campaigner

nice title

why aren't you using blitz though
Old 02-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most View Post
nice title

why aren't you using blitz though
BA transmuter does more dmg and with stonefist rebuke, the -DA on blitz is wasted. blitz bugs out alot in crowded situations, but either one is reasonable.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
BA transmuter does more dmg and with stonefist rebuke, the -DA on blitz is wasted. blitz bugs out alot in crowded situations, but either one is reasonable.
no i mean like for gap closing

even though it's buggy as fuck it still boosts clear speed quite a bit (though a bit less so in boc due to all the gates)
Old 02-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most View Post
no i mean like for gap closing

even though it's buggy as fuck it still boosts clear speed quite a bit (though a bit less so in boc due to all the gates)
point taken, its good in that sense, just that I play with one hand alot of the time and am short on buttons. I'm limited to rmb/lmb, mouse wheel up+down+middle lol.

but yes, its worth 1 point for mobility

p.s. my otherhand isn't used for ____. ^^, i have neck problems and I rest my jaw on my left hand alot when I play ^^
Old 02-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Counsel

Well, this is all very interesting. I love my Sorc, but I dislike being one big hit away from death. Hopefully this pans out. I have all the high end gear needed, now I just need to level some more. I am 65 as of this post, but the wife has shopping plans today, ugh.

I still have a hard time figuring out what debuffs will not stack with each other, so as to eliminate as much redundancy as possible.

Last edited by JTDSR; 02-20-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDSR View Post
Well, this is all very interesting. I love my Sorc, but I dislike being one big hit away from death. Hopefully this pans out. I have all the high end gear needed, now I just need to level some more. I am 65 as of this post, but the wife has shopping plans today, ugh.

I still have a hard time figuring out what debuffs will not stack with each other, so as to eliminate as much redundancy as possible.
-only one -DA debuff can be on at a time.

for -resist, you can simultaenously stack:
-one source of "-n resist" or "n reduced resist" examples include plaguebearer,mark of dreeg, warcry breakmorale
-multiple sources of "-n% resist" examples include black matriach, assassins mark, exterminus
-one source of "%reduced resist" examples include manticore, viper, maw of despair. this source is multiplied to the enemy's resist positive or negative after the SUM of the above are applied.

updating this to the faq.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Counsel

Nice, makes sense to me now. Thank you for the explanation.
Closed Thread

Tags
battlemage, blade arc, cadence, hardcore, ultimate