#1201  
Old 03-12-2018, 11:47 AM
medea fleecestealer's Avatar
medea fleecestealer medea fleecestealer is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,272
Default

Did you see last week's?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/236937186##

A few spoilers in there for us. Zantai must have been feeling under the weather to let so much slip.
Reply With Quote
  #1202  
Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Chthon's Avatar
Chthon Chthon is offline
Ascendant
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 8,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea fleecestealer View Post
Did you see last week's?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/236937186##

A few spoilers in there for us. Zantai must have been feeling under the weather to let so much slip.
1080p streams that I miss are generally not rewatchable (crappy internet). I'd appreciate if you or someone else posts the spoilers in Lore Discussion Thread or here (with spoiler tags)
__________________
All my builds can be found on my profile page

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Reply With Quote
  #1203  
Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 AM
medea fleecestealer's Avatar
medea fleecestealer medea fleecestealer is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,272
Default

Well pretty general so far.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69297
Reply With Quote
  #1204  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Jackdaw's Avatar
Jackdaw Jackdaw is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 324
Default

I've had what Grava said about not being able to enjoy the game more, being a developer, floating around in my head all weekend. It's kinda sad. Understandable in a way but a little sad too. Although, I'm guessing that too much of a good thing is also sad and that living and breathing something so deep might be the fastest way to learn to hate it.

Dev Stream Let's Play sounded like a great idea though.
__________________
"... We simply don't know enough about transplanar xenobiology yet.". Worblehat
Reply With Quote
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1205  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Zantai's Avatar
Zantai Zantai is offline
Crate Employee - Designer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaw View Post
I've had what Grava said about not being able to enjoy the game more, being a developer, floating around in my head all weekend. It's kinda sad. Understandable in a way but a little sad too. Although, I'm guessing that too much of a good thing is also sad and that living and breathing something so deep might be the fastest way to learn to hate it.

Dev Stream Let's Play sounded like a great idea though.
It's not really in a designer's best interest to play the same thing, especially a thing you've worked on, ad-nauseum. Limits your perspective and sources of inspiration.
__________________
***Waste of Souls***
Reply With Quote
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1206  
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Grava Grava is offline
Crate Employee - Designer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 137
Default

Yes, as a designer it's always important to "play around". The more you play the more examples you have of different ways things can be done, or ways things shouldn't be done.

That said, it seems to be a universal fact that developers don't enjoy the games they make as much as they should. It's too easy to be critical of a game even in its finished state and by the time it gets there you've been playing the game in a partially finished state for a year or more.

Playing your game objectively is an important part of development, but it's also difficult to do.

Take this as an example in Grim Dawn. By the time you play a quest I've run through it in a test level dozens of times, if not more. Or by the time you try a new skill, Zantai has used it in a test level hundreds of times.

So, sometimes by the time the thing we're working on is finished, the magic is all but lost.

That doesn't mean we don't love doing it!
Reply With Quote
  #1207  
Old 03-19-2018, 05:03 PM
jiaco's Avatar
jiaco jiaco is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grava View Post
That said, it seems to be a universal fact that developers don't enjoy the games they make as much as they should.
Start downloading Reign of Terror now and play that on next stream. I suspect you will find yourself finally able to enjoy GD from a non-designer perspective.
__________________
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1208  
Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Jackdaw's Avatar
Jackdaw Jackdaw is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grava View Post
Yes, as a designer it's always important to "play around". The more you play the more examples you have of different ways things can be done, or ways things shouldn't be done.

That said, it seems to be a universal fact that developers don't enjoy the games they make as much as they should. It's too easy to be critical of a game even in its finished state and by the time it gets there you've been playing the game in a partially finished state for a year or more.

Playing your game objectively is an important part of development, but it's also difficult to do.

Take this as an example in Grim Dawn. By the time you play a quest I've run through it in a test level dozens of times, if not more. Or by the time you try a new skill, Zantai has used it in a test level hundreds of times.

So, sometimes by the time the thing we're working on is finished, the magic is all but lost.

That doesn't mean we don't love doing it!
I understand the practicalities and natural consequences of creative development; I write a lot of music, and after I've been at the mixing desk tweaking the same track for the umpteenth hour I tend to despise what I've done. Or at the very least am desperate to move on to something else.

I'm uncertain as to whether it's a cruel reality, a necessary practicality or in some way both. It just seems sad. Like creating a wonderful meal for friends but not getting to sit at the table to enjoy the entirety of that experience.

The love you guys have for the game was never a question in my mind. I experience it each time I play. I'm going to stop thinking about it now, and instead, focus on getting my next character to 100. That seems more productive
__________________
"... We simply don't know enough about transplanar xenobiology yet.". Worblehat
Reply With Quote
  #1209  
Old 03-23-2018, 11:47 AM
medea fleecestealer's Avatar
medea fleecestealer medea fleecestealer is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,272
Default

Streaming today? Or saving up to give us a Good Friday treat next week? Or even ideally do both!
Reply With Quote
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1210  
Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Zantai's Avatar
Zantai Zantai is offline
Crate Employee - Designer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7,706
Default

We'll do one next week.
__________________
***Waste of Souls***
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.