Old 03-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Did you see last week's?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/236937186##

A few spoilers in there for us. Zantai must have been feeling under the weather to let so much slip.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea fleecestealer View Post
Did you see last week's?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/236937186##

A few spoilers in there for us. Zantai must have been feeling under the weather to let so much slip.
1080p streams that I miss are generally not rewatchable (crappy internet). I'd appreciate if you or someone else posts the spoilers in Lore Discussion Thread or here (with spoiler tags)

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Well pretty general so far.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69297
Old 03-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Counsel

I've had what Grava said about not being able to enjoy the game more, being a developer, floating around in my head all weekend. It's kinda sad. Understandable in a way but a little sad too. Although, I'm guessing that too much of a good thing is also sad and that living and breathing something so deep might be the fastest way to learn to hate it.

Dev Stream Let's Play sounded like a great idea though.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1205  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaw View Post
I've had what Grava said about not being able to enjoy the game more, being a developer, floating around in my head all weekend. It's kinda sad. Understandable in a way but a little sad too. Although, I'm guessing that too much of a good thing is also sad and that living and breathing something so deep might be the fastest way to learn to hate it.

Dev Stream Let's Play sounded like a great idea though.
It's not really in a designer's best interest to play the same thing, especially a thing you've worked on, ad-nauseum. Limits your perspective and sources of inspiration.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1206  
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Yes, as a designer it's always important to "play around". The more you play the more examples you have of different ways things can be done, or ways things shouldn't be done.

That said, it seems to be a universal fact that developers don't enjoy the games they make as much as they should. It's too easy to be critical of a game even in its finished state and by the time it gets there you've been playing the game in a partially finished state for a year or more.

Playing your game objectively is an important part of development, but it's also difficult to do.

Take this as an example in Grim Dawn. By the time you play a quest I've run through it in a test level dozens of times, if not more. Or by the time you try a new skill, Zantai has used it in a test level hundreds of times.

So, sometimes by the time the thing we're working on is finished, the magic is all but lost.

That doesn't mean we don't love doing it!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grava View Post
That said, it seems to be a universal fact that developers don't enjoy the games they make as much as they should.
Start downloading Reign of Terror now and play that on next stream. I suspect you will find yourself finally able to enjoy GD from a non-designer perspective.
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grava View Post
Yes, as a designer it's always important to "play around". The more you play the more examples you have of different ways things can be done, or ways things shouldn't be done.

That said, it seems to be a universal fact that developers don't enjoy the games they make as much as they should. It's too easy to be critical of a game even in its finished state and by the time it gets there you've been playing the game in a partially finished state for a year or more.

Playing your game objectively is an important part of development, but it's also difficult to do.

Take this as an example in Grim Dawn. By the time you play a quest I've run through it in a test level dozens of times, if not more. Or by the time you try a new skill, Zantai has used it in a test level hundreds of times.

So, sometimes by the time the thing we're working on is finished, the magic is all but lost.

That doesn't mean we don't love doing it!
I understand the practicalities and natural consequences of creative development; I write a lot of music, and after I've been at the mixing desk tweaking the same track for the umpteenth hour I tend to despise what I've done. Or at the very least am desperate to move on to something else.

I'm uncertain as to whether it's a cruel reality, a necessary practicality or in some way both. It just seems sad. Like creating a wonderful meal for friends but not getting to sit at the table to enjoy the entirety of that experience.

The love you guys have for the game was never a question in my mind. I experience it each time I play. I'm going to stop thinking about it now, and instead, focus on getting my next character to 100. That seems more productive
Old 03-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Streaming today? Or saving up to give us a Good Friday treat next week? Or even ideally do both!
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1210  
Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 PM

We'll do one next week.