Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Campaigner

Default Question about Might of the Bear & Runic Bolts

Hi, I was wondering how "Might of the bear" from Shaman skill tree works

Is the "total damage modified by x%" only affecting Savagery, and the "Y% physical resistance" working at all time whenever char is using a 2H weapon?

Say I want to make a Char with Runebinder's Spellthrower and using its skill Runic Bolts as default attack replacer, I could dump one point into Savagery and three into Might of the bear and get 8% Physical resistance, do Savergy have to be place on my skillbar?

What does this mean? "When used as your default weapon attack, Runic Bolts inflict additional damage." is it the charge ups that is referred to as "additional damage"? How can one use Runic bolts (and any other decault attack replacer skill in a way so it is NOT a default attack replacer btw?)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:59 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawiglenn View Post
Is the "total damage modified by x%" only affecting Savagery, and the "Y% physical resistance" working at all time whenever char is using a 2H weapon?
Total damage modifier only effects damage dealt by Savagery. You need at least 1 Savagery charge active for the Physical resistance and benefits from Tenacity of the Boar.

Quote:
Say I want to make a Char with Runebinder's Spellthrower and using its skill Runic Bolts as default attack replacer, I could dump one point into Savagery and three into Might of the bear and get 8% Physical resistance, do Savergy have to be place on my skillbar?
Won't work unless you also use Savagery, otherwise just about every Shaman would 1 point Savagery and invest into it's transmuter or modifier

Quote:
What does this mean? "When used as your default weapon attack, Runic Bolts inflict additional damage." is it the charge ups that is referred to as "additional damage"? How can one use Runic bolts (and any other decault attack replacer skill in a way so it is NOT a default attack replacer btw?)
It is assigned to your skill bar like any other ability. You can not use weapon replacers by just using the default attack you start with (marked by an icon of a gray sword).
Old 07-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Herald

Might of the Bear gives you physical resistance after hitting something with Savagery and increases the overall damage you deal by that skill by a percentage. So, if 1/16 Savagery hits for 30% WD on the first hit, and your MotB is 3/3, you deal 35,4% WD. The base damage is also modified by every modifier from the skill, therefore at level 1/16 it hits for 1,77 lightning damage and 4,248 bleed damage over 3 seconds.

From my experience, don't know if that's a bug or not, if you get one stack of savagery, all your damage you deal is modified to 30% of the total damage. Tested that on my bleed character, where I hit a target dummy once with Savagery and then used Blade Arc and hit for ~30k per second, then, without Savagery stacks, I used Blade Arc and hit for ~100k per second. EDIT: I just checked it two more times after Evil_Baka said it affects only Savagery, I just didn't crit with Blade Arc's damage and therefore thought it does affect the total damage you deal.

"When used as your default weapon attack, Runic Bolts inflict additional damage." just means that you can use it to replace your auto attacks. Nothing more. It behaves like an auto attack, but is enhanced.

Last edited by USER_NAME_01; 07-06-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Campaigner

Thanks alot duders! Then I will not go with Shaman as second class for my Inquisitor
Old 07-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by USER_NAME_01 View Post
Might of the Bear gives you physical resistance after hitting something with Savagery and increases the overall damage you deal by that skill by a percentage. So, if 1/16 Savagery hits for 30% WD on the first hit, and your MotB is 3/3, you deal 35,4% WD. The base damage is also modified by every modifier from the skill, therefore at level 1/16 it hits for 1,77 lightning damage and 4,248 bleed damage over 3 seconds.

From my experience, don't know if that's a bug or not, if you get one stack of savagery, all your damage you deal is modified to 30% of the total damage. Tested that on my bleed character, where I hit a target dummy once with Savagery and then used Blade Arc and hit for ~30k per second, then, without Savagery stacks, I used Blade Arc and hit for ~100k per second. EDIT: I just checked it two more times after Evil_Baka said it affects only Savagery, I just didn't crit with Blade Arc's damage and therefore thought it does affect the total damage you deal.

"When used as your default weapon attack, Runic Bolts inflict additional damage." just means that you can use it to replace your auto attacks. Nothing more. It behaves like an auto attack, but is enhanced.
So does the 18% damage mod affect things outside savagery?

Quote:
Can I talk to you about our lord and savior Jesus - Tycho
Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir spanksalot View Post
So does the 18% damage mod affect things outside savagery?
it should, ofc you need savagery charge already min 1 pt as buff, imo savagery works like a buff in this way.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Praetorian

Pretty sure the total damage modified only affects Savagery and nothing else.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:56 AM
Champion

I'm inclined to believe norzan here. Seems to be too broken if what you're saying is true, 'stoya.

Quote:
Can I talk to you about our lord and savior Jesus - Tycho
Old 07-07-2018, 04:30 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Baka View Post
Total damage modifier only effects damage dealt by Savagery. You need at least 1 Savagery charge active for the Physical resistance and benefits from Tenacity of the Boar.
This is entirely correct.

Used to be bugged otherwise, such that the damage mod was global, but that is no longer the case.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Praetorian

Or else Primal Strike charged by Savagery would be even stronger and reach levels of ridiculousness.