Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #21  
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

I think there is a reasonable balance between the existing melee and ranged classes now in GD. Heavy melee can take a reasonable beating and death only happens when you stick around in a bad situation too long. Ranged, on the other hand, feels godly right up to the point where an enemy touches you. When I'm playing casually and not really paying full attention, I tend to die with about even frequency whether I'm melee or ranged. With melee I mainly die when I get carried away thinking I'm a badass and forget to look at my health. With ranged, you have to control the situation with crowd control and priority targeting. If you let a couple enemies get to close and catch you with a few hits, that can be the end.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
With ranged, you have to control the situation with crowd control and priority targeting. If you let a couple enemies get to close and catch you with a few hits, that can be the end.
I liked that a lot about Hellgate:London. I played Marksman and always had 3 different weapons for 3 different ranges in my slots (long, middle, close duh). Making use of the different Stances and the Grenades combined with the different weapons made it an awesome experience (though Bosses where a bit messy).

I love how that sounds. Guess I will finally get my Legendary once I get my paycheck for the month.

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."
Old 03-23-2011, 03:03 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama8 View Post
But at the moment, the balance between ranged & melee is skewed towards ranged being more powerful, since it's possible to avoid damage much more easily for a ranged char. To fix that you either need to make melee better/easier/whatever, or "nerf" ranged. And even buffing melee could be seen as nerfing ranged.
Actually I disagree, I think meleers are easier. At least ever since Ternion got nerfed

They have the potential to deal more DPS than mages, have more HP, wear better armor... yes, ranged can kite more easily, but they are not more powerful, to me they already are weaker.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Advocate

Hello!

I am "uping" because I have a question concerning damage and I couldn't find an answer.

Something that rather bothered me in TQ was the damage of spells, in fact a little lack of information concerning their damage.
Actually the only damage you can really keep on track is the one made by your character's main weapon (bow or right hand weapon). You will see its damage increase in the character windows whenever you increase your strength, add extra damages (elemental, poison), etc. The same way, if you increase your intelligence while dealing damage with your main weapon, you will see it increase, so that allows to have a little idea of what your character is good or bad at.

The problem with all the other damages (shield, spells, etc...) is that you can only rely on your current skill level. Say you have a spell, with 4 points in it, that deals 30-50 cold damage to a creature: that will be the only information I have about that spell, while in the meantime I would have been increasing my intelligence (to raise elemental damage) and equipping myself with items boosting my intelligence/elemental damage.
Also, what if I activate a passive skill that boosts health regeneration but lower my total damage by, let's say, 5%? With a melee character I would see the difference right away in the character sheet.
And when I am playing a pure caster, all of this could become a little bit problematic...Mainly when my spells are no longer really effective and I need to boost them in some way.

Anyway, what I would love to have in Grim Dawn, is the possibility to have some extra information. For example, when putting the mouse cursor on a spell, not only it will tell me the theoretical damage (30-50 cold damage), but also the real damage based on my items, stats, and other skills (70-100, or whatever).

I am not sure I am making myself clear and if this is the right topic to ask, bu anyway, here it is!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xss View Post
Hello!

The problem with all the other damages (shield, spells, etc...) is that you can only rely on your current skill level. Say you have a spell, with 4 points in it, that deals 30-50 cold damage to a creature: that will be the only information I have about that spell, while in the meantime I would have been increasing my intelligence (to raise elemental damage) and equipping myself with items boosting my intelligence/elemental damage.

Anyway, what I would love to have in Grim Dawn, is the possibility to have some extra information. For example, when putting the mouse cursor on a spell, not only it will tell me the theoretical damage (30-50 cold damage), but also the real damage based on my items, stats, and other skills (70-100, or whatever).
The problem was compounded in TQIT because some damage types were increased percentage-wise by attributes and some were not. A casual player had no way of telling which was which in the game. Does higher int raise vitality or not? What about bleeding? IMO- I think this was one of the biggest problems with TQIT, lack of standardized scaling and an inability to determine par abilities.

Dejnov.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Champion

Ah..if there was a potent "dot" class, I would definitely fall in love. =)

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
Closed Thread

Tags
balancing, combat, damage