Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Compared to TQ, how would you like to see casting combat implemented?
Increasing the rate at which skills can be casted is something I would like to have. 14 36.84%
TQ's combat was fine and I would like it to remain the same for GD. 19 50.00%
I would rather see GD have a slower combat casting system than TQ. 2 5.26%
I know that it is more beneficial to choose one of the above but I'm seriously undecided. 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Counsel

Default Desired Skill Rate/Game Speed

Intentionally this thread is to find a general consensus on what people would prefer, skill wise, in GD. Unfortunately for me, I'm only capable of discerning from TQ's combat system for this consensus because D2 is the only other dungeon crawler I've actually fully played and it had no skill recharges. (figure almost everyone here has played TQ I hope).

Generally when I play videogames I get discouraged when I have to wait for all my skills to recharge. TQ has that issue with me...kinda. Playing an elementalist with fire orb, lightning strike, thunder orb and melee build, there is always something to do when combat is initiated; however all my immediate 'coolness' can be expended within 6 seconds. Surely I do not need to use all 3 skills instantly but it definitely makes the game move faster.

Point of the matter is I would like to see how people feel about possibly increasing the recharge rate of skills while weakening them slightly to allow faster gameplay. Continually it would greatly help if the skills created for GD are very fluid for close combat quarters if players are going to be casting more often. I suppose I could describe skill functionality when imagining the TQ warrior mastery removing most of its passives and making them hotkey'd. Most definitely that would require perfected hotkey mapping by the player but it would definitely make the game more technical and exhilarating.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Praetorian

I suppose so. If recharge rate is decrease it could very much increase game pace since we always concentrated on recharge timing. But this also would make the skill can be use a lot of time and would make fight easier. This could be compensate by increasing monster health. But allowing more frequent use of skill per fight will make melee weapon rather useless, though it can be compensated again by increasing it damage and properties.

This would take a lot of adjustment. Other way around is to increase recharge rate but lowering the effectiveness/damages. But this is also have psychological effect. If the visual effect is all great and awesome but the damage is low, player will feel the skill is rather weak, sooner or later when he get tired of the visual and weak repetition.

After all, awesome with great damage skill need longer recharge rate. It is a balancing mechanism.

Allowing at least two skill that have different recharge rate is good I think. One deal high damage but with longer cooldown and another one with weaker damage but twice as fast of recharge rate. This goes also for very high or extremely high damage.

In TQ, for example if you're using pure Rogue. At end game you might have at least two skill, either Lethal Strike + Flurry of Knive or Lethal Strike + Trap. I never pick Trap but this combination make great combo. FOK recharge faster and I can use it twice as much as Lethal Strike, which is almost like one-shot kill.

Anyway, since the developer already done a great job designing mastery in TQ (although Dream nerf others) so I have faith in them. They know what they're doing at their best.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Initiate

Well it comes down to what kind of a game you want to have. In diablo casters use spells as main attack. In TQ their main attack is mostly staff attack, and spells are utilities.

I prefer a game where casters don't just spam one skill through four acts in three difficulties.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Well it comes down to what kind of a game you want to have. In diablo casters use spells as main attack. In TQ their main attack is mostly staff attack, and spells are utilities.

I prefer a game where casters don't just spam one skill through four acts in three difficulties.
That's right.

I felt that TQ class gameplay is quite unique than other ARPG.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Lord Advocate

I liked TQ's combat/pace or whatever. The only issue with it is being addressed (blood and gore) so while the tactical nature of combat will remain, it certainly will be more exciting
Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Minister of Information

I tend to save up skills with a somewhat longer cool down for emergencies. In the end I hardly use them, which is a waste. Short recharge time would be appreciated for any standard skill. Panic skills (including potions) should have a longer recharge.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuted View Post
Intentionally this thread is to find a general consensus on what people would prefer, skill wise, in GD. Unfortunately for me, I'm only capable of discerning from TQ's combat system for this consensus because D2 is the only other dungeon crawler I've actually fully played and it had no skill recharges. (figure almost everyone here has played TQ I hope).

Generally when I play videogames I get discouraged when I have to wait for all my skills to recharge.
Since the cooldown on energy potions will be significantly increased giving energy management some meaning, I think we may be able to reduce or remove some of the shorter skill cooldowns. The longer cooldowns, however, play an important role in balancing "uber-skills". Without cooldowns I couldn't really include such powerful skills in the game without creating massive imbalances. Other skills that have longer cooldowns but aren't quite "uber skills" may not break gameplay but they would become the 1 skill that certain classes relied on to the exclusion of everything else.

Note that Blizzard appears to be adding skill cooldowns to Diablo 3.

Quote:
Point of the matter is I would like to see how people feel about possibly increasing the recharge rate of skills while weakening them slightly to allow faster gameplay. Continually it would greatly help if the skills created for GD are very fluid for close combat quarters if players are going to be casting more often. I suppose I could describe skill functionality when imagining the TQ warrior mastery removing most of its passives and making them hotkey'd. Most definitely that would require perfected hotkey mapping by the player but it would definitely make the game more technical and exhilarating.
You will definitely see some classes in GD that are less weapon reliant and have a greater variety of skills with no to very low cooldown so that they can fire off a lot of skills continually. However, there will also be some classes that are more oriented around passive skills. This is designed to suit people who have different play-styles. Not everyone wants to have to manage a dozen hot-keyed skills. I'm sure many players won't even use hot-keys at all!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Acolyte

Personally I like having cooldowns or recharge timers whichever you want to call them. While it can be annoying to have something I need on cooldown, when I successfully execute combos and come out on top due to timing all of my skills properly I feel kind of awesome.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Initiate

More fast paced and instant the gameplay is the better the pvp will be Probably the PvE aswell if the increase the rate the creature die faster.. I would only assume most people would love that? Kinda like diablo Quick trip to baal solo gotta love that

And faster it is more bigger items faster is the way to go all games to slow and stop because there is no more item and everyone use the same items because of lack of variety, wich you didnt see in diablo or tq? I dunno guys less cooldowns less downtime , global cooldown benefits for both PvP and PvE if you think about it for a while you might agree I dont know

The best concept of items is when you got a chance to get 150-200% ed 10-15 dex 10-15 str and have to look for quite a while and do alot of trades to get it. Not to see everyone end up with the same stuff on them.

Peace

Last edited by prilletime; 05-10-2010 at 10:14 PM.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10  
Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

I think the phrasing of the poll questions is a little misleading since this is really about cooldown time and not the pace of gameplay in general.
Closed Thread

Tags
builds, casters, energy, skills