Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > Modding - Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Somerled's Avatar
Somerled Somerled is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 370
Default What would you like to see in a Summoning-focused mastery?

Hi,

So I've been working on a mastery, and while I just got 2 skills completely ready, I'm just tweaking them so they don't feel OP or UP.
There's two I still have to work on, one if half ready (have to re-do a buff).


Here are a few pictures:

Imgur album


I'm mostly using the files already in the game, I might do some polishing later down the line and replace some .tex files with my own, icons would come first.

So I have to ask what would you people like to see in a summoning-focused mastery? I never really played a summoner before so I wouldn't know too much about what's missing.

Honestly I don't know what else to do. Maybe the fire counterpart of the icy skeleton summon.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2016, 02:16 PM
ASYLUM101's Avatar
ASYLUM101 ASYLUM101 is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,494
Default

I hope you don't mind me plugging some advice here but don't worry too much about a skill being op or up until you have most of the mastery fleshed out. That should be one of your last steps in mod creation. I understand the excitement of making a new skill and just wanting to have a blast and that's completely fine. Just a little tip to streamline the mod process and save time for now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Somerled's Avatar
Somerled Somerled is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
I hope you don't mind me plugging some advice here but don't worry too much about a skill being op or up until you have most of the mastery fleshed out. That should be one of your last steps in mod creation. I understand the excitement of making a new skill and just wanting to have a blast and that's completely fine. Just a little tip to streamline the mod process and save time for now.
Any advice is welcome. Thanks for that, but I like making things work (at least) decently before moving on, that includes balance here. Plus it's not like I had a deadline or a lack of free time... For now anyway.

I'll keep that in mind for the future though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2016, 02:38 PM
SmartsAJ SmartsAJ is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,191
Default

I always enjoyed the golem types in D2. The different mechanics to each golem, could translate well, I think.

But my favorites summons, was the necromancer in Guild Wars 1, that was a ranged spitter . But the summons in GW1, were drain based, where they needed constant healing, or died by themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Somerled's Avatar
Somerled Somerled is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartsAJ View Post
I always enjoyed the golem types in D2. The different mechanics to each golem, could translate well, I think.

But my favorites summons, was the necromancer in Guild Wars 1, that was a ranged spitter . But the summons in GW1, were drain based, where they needed constant healing, or died by themselves.
I like this idea, but I never played GW1. The fact that a pet is ranged and not melee makes it all the more interesting; enemies have a limited number of slots to get attacked my melee pets (mostly 3 or 4).

I think I could translate this spitter with a fire skeleton having an innate buff that works like degen. He would use fireballs and shit and probably never use ranged/melee attacks.
It would synergize very well with the healing skill in the mastery as it also restore energy.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2016, 02:46 PM
SmartsAJ SmartsAJ is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerled View Post
I like this idea, but I never played GW1. The fact that a pet is ranged and not melee makes it all the more interesting; enemies have a limited number of slots to get attacked my melee pets (mostly 3 or 4).

I think I could translate this spitter with a fire skeleton having an innate buff that works like degen. He would use fireballs and shit and probably never use ranged/melee attacks.
It would synergize very well with the healing skill in the mastery as it also restore energy.

What do you think?
Well, you seem to be a creator. I am just someone with past experience.

Sounds good to have a mage type summon. Seems to be lacking in GD, other than the familiar...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Somerled's Avatar
Somerled Somerled is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartsAJ View Post
Well, you seem to be a creator. I am just someone with past experience.

Sounds good to have a mage type summon. Seems to be lacking in GD, other than the familiar...
It will be interesting to make this pet, there's a lot of things that can be done with it.

Making another melee pet wouldn't go well with other masteries like Occultist or Shaman, but it might be worth the try, even for learning. Because if I do another pet, and by your suggestion it would be a golem like in D2, I'd have to make a model and texture for that pet, and I never did it before. Always wanted to though, might be time for it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:00 PM
SmartsAJ SmartsAJ is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerled View Post
It will be interesting to make this pet, there's a lot of things that can be done with it.

Making another melee pet wouldn't go well with other masteries like Occultist or Shaman, but it might be worth the try, even for learning. Because if I do another pet, and by your suggestion it would be a golem like in D2, I'd have to make a model and texture for that pet, and I never did it before. Always wanted to though, might be time for it.
Well, if I can give any other experience, I will keep an eye out on this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:11 PM
alexei's Avatar
alexei alexei is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerled View Post
It will be interesting to make this pet, there's a lot of things that can be done with it.

Making another melee pet wouldn't go well with other masteries like Occultist or Shaman, but it might be worth the try, even for learning. Because if I do another pet, and by your suggestion it would be a golem like in D2, I'd have to make a model and texture for that pet, and I never did it before. Always wanted to though, might be time for it.
The stone monster should be good enough for stone golem. Othe type of golem can use different texture applied (hope other guy able to do it). Scaled down the size and i think u good to go about the model.

Other than that,i really like your mastery so far since I'm a sucker for undead summoning! Hope it will go well and you will release it!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Somerled's Avatar
Somerled Somerled is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei View Post
The stone monster should be good enough for stone golem. Othe type of golem can use different texture applied (hope other guy able to do it). Scaled down the size and i think u good to go about the model.

Other than that,i really like your mastery so far since I'm a sucker for undead summoning! Hope it will go well and you will release it!
Well I never used golems in D2, and the game is in 2D... So I'll have to make the texture from the ground up using screenshots of the golem if I ever do it. And if I do it won't be for the first release nor the second.

Speaking of releases, here's my plan:

The first version will be when I judge the basic stuff good enough (so I still need to do 2 pets including the mage, the other is currently a placeholder already in the UI on the screenshot; also an aura; finally the spells for the mage) to go live.

Second version will hopefully include the ability to roll affixes/suffixes for the mastery. If impossible (which I doubt to be the case) I'll skip this. Also balancing the skills if needed.

Third version will be focused on polishing (creating new UI icons and perhaps even textures). And balancing the skills/item rolls as needed.

Then I don't know. I'll see later.

Well then, after failing again to make a buff for the healing skill, I'll make the exclusive skill!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
modding, preview

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.