Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudius View Post
Which makes muling sets hard because ideally you'd want only 1 mule per set so it's more organized?
That seems terribly inefficient. By mastery set bonus perhaps...youll need 10 just for nightblade though, they really like nightblade and about half the epics items seem made for nightblade bonuses for some reason.

I like to sort them by the kind of build they would make. It is a caster type item, stash it with a caster. A 2h, stash it with a Shaman. Pistols, with the Marauder or Demolitionist. Does not have to be perfect just some loose organization so you can remember where you put it. I would hate to have to remember where hundreds of items are stored across 50 characters. I'm getting frustrated and panicky just thinking about it.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Counsel

wwtchhuntr I was starting with the assumption I had unlimited characters slots which proved to be wrong!

But I wanted to store by gear slot e.g. Wrists. So if I have any character who needs a wrist item then I look at that stash.

And then if Wrists is too full (not counting too many copies of an item i dynamite) then i make SC Mule Wrists and SC Mule Wrists Spirit.

And then if SC Mule Wrists Spirit is too full then make SC Mule Wrists Spirit Level 60plus

But I had a wrong assumption that I had in practice infinite (huge amount) of character slots.

But I like filing by item slot because I don't always even bother to Twink Out my characters whole gear. Rather just if they have a 'weak' slot either not a good item or a good item but doesn't fit the character then I will go looking for a replacement at that slot.

But like I said my whole mule system needs to be adapted to the reality of only 50 character slots.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
The two things about your mod are 1 if you look up in the thread I mentioned that with Titan Quest I literally screwed it up and the game would not run even with uninstall/reinstall. So there is a risk for me.
I was not talkng about installing GD Stash but about using local saves. In any case, there is no way GD Stash can screw up your installed game because it does not change a single file of it, so there is no actual risk, only a perceived one due to lack of knowledge.
At most you could screw up some save files and not look into how to get the old version back.

I also doubt TQVault was responsible for whatever problem you had with TQ, that sounds completely impossible too. Even if it could screw TQ up, it could not do so the point that an uninstall and fresh install would not fix.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
Even if it could screw TQ up, it could not do so the point that an uninstall and fresh install would not fix.
Uninstall it, then blow away the directories for the game. Then re-install the game, make sure the base game works; then install a mod. Best way to do it.
However, this involves some computer skills.

IMHO, I find it hard to believe that claudius has created a mod for a game and doesn't have some of these basic computer skills.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibugsy View Post
IMHO, I find it hard to believe that claudius has created a mod for a game and doesn't have some of these basic computer skills.
I read that as installing a mod, not creating one. I agree, if you create mods I would expect you to know the basics we are discussing here.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Ok yeah I do have some GOG games and use their Galaxy thing. ARPGs are really the only genre I would ever make 50 characters.

mamba, that would be great to learn more computers skills but am in a universe of limited time and I don't even have kids or anything. There are things I already am learning about as my interests and any time spent learning to add mods to computer games come at a cost of another interest or time with family/friends or chores or what have you. And then there are other things than computers I might save more than 200 hours of gaming if I learned about like home repair stuff. And this computer illiterate is relative. Believe it or not I help people out with their computer problems sometimes in a case where I know how to do something that they don't. It is a good option to spend 3 hours maybe not learning anything (that I retain) as a computer skill but simply to add your computer program to help me store my items. I probably wouldn't learn anything about computers though and by that I mean that I have modded games before and that stuff is not retained in my memory it is just hurdles I go over with the result of having the mod installed but haven't really learned anything. The two things about your mod are 1 if you look up in the thread I mentioned that with Titan Quest I literally screwed it up and the game would not run even with uninstall/reinstall. So there is a risk for me. A reward of having storage but a risk of screwing the game up completely. Second 50 characters is actually a lot of storage and I can probably change my current mule system so that I can do mostly what I wanted to do with the mules in the first place and delete some HC characters and not very useful mules or delete 'sets' mules because takes up too much. So to summarize yeah I could probably get this mod installed at some risk. But I probably wouldn't retain anything much about computers and I have other interests and even non-interests that I could benefit more from than computers such as home repairs.
I bet writing this wall of text takes longer than installing gdstash
Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Counsel

To clarify I am talking about installing mods or moving the files in the link by KondaImmortal early on in the thread talking about changing to stop using cloud saves.

Also to clarify I don't know what the problem was with Titan Quest. I couldn't tell you if it was one of the mods (Vault, Defiler, Underlord, Xmax, Lilith, and masteries were installed at one time or another) or something else that I don't know about. I can tell you that I could not get it working again on the computer I used at the time. And it was one of my favorite all time games if that tells you something I was not pleased that I couldn't play it any more. Could it have been Underlord? That was the last mod I used on Titan Quest. Also just a comment but you have to not only consider possible damage from a mod properly installed but also have to consider a mod improperly installed due to user error. I will say both the link to your Stash program and the link KondalImmortal gave I do not understand the first paragraphs:

Quote:
GD Stash is written in Java and stores all items in a database, so it truly is unlimited. Make sure to use a 64bit Java Virtual Machine. It also reads the information from database.arz into its own tables, so it does not always have to decode them after the initial setup.
I understand first sentence guessing Java is a programming language. The second sentence sounds like "the color of the paint is due to the crystal field splitting pattern because the paint atoms have d orbitals and according to Hunds rule the electrons enter the d orbitals unpaired first blah blah". Most people probably do not understand that and I don't understand computer terms. The second sentence is information for those who understand it. Anyone else who doesn't understand just wants to have the gaming function and it is a bunch of hurdles to get a result that they want.

But yeah people use computers differently. For PC I use it as a gaming console pretty much and might tab out to look up gaming information. But if I am looking at forums, Facebook, etc then I am using a Mac laptop. And I am just making a comment on what I use. I don't transfer files places because I never do that in use on a computer. For me a computer is: internet, e-mail, documents like keeping track of bills or recipes or ideas. That is someone's assumption that transferring files is 'basic information'. I'm sure it is but I never do it in my daily use.

Last edited by claudius; 07-17-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Campaigner

claudius, do you use Discord? I could walk you through the steps in either voice or text chat on it.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:33 PM
Counsel

KondaImmortal I appreciate the offer and maybe some time but right now I'm not in the right frame of mind and have some other things I need to do. I haven't used Discord before.

I got using Mac stuff because my brother had a discount as he used to work at apple. So I haven't used Discord. I use my PC as a gaming station which is actually a mac with bootcamp due to the discount and I haven't updated that since 2010. I actually updated game wise instead with a Playstation and I use that also for Hulu and guitar lesson game for my girlfriend.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Campaigner

Just send me a DM on here if you ever want help. I should see it within 24 hours.