Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Advocate

Default TL2 Friday update

This is a pretty cool graph breakdown of loot drops. I was impressed

http://www.torchlight2game.com/news/...torchlight-ii/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction"~ Blaise Pascal

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb
Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Champion

Holy smokes, that's one of the most detailed and impressive graph breakdowns I've ever seen! Obviously they're not done balancing yet, but those numbers look pretty reasonable as to where you'd potentially be getting certain items (e.g. a large percentage of unique items coming from bosses).

Currently Playing: Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders
Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Lord Advocate

I'm not sure if farming bosses consistently is really all that positive... sounds a bit like a drag. I know we did it in D2, but...
Old 03-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
I'm not sure if farming bosses consistently is really all that positive... sounds a bit like a drag. I know we did it in D2, but...
I tend to agree with you yerk. I just thought the graph was impressive was all.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction"~ Blaise Pascal

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
And in Titan Quest.

And I have to agree with you. The ratio of the various sources is off. My way of thinking is that it should be "roughly" divided into thirds. 1/3rd would be bosses. 1/3rd would be champion and normal monsters combined, and the last 3rd would be normal and special chests combined (with an obvious leaning towards the special/champion in those ratios by a reasonable amount).

That encourages an active level of diversity in the way you go about 'getting' newer/better gear. Chest farming is just as successful as boss farming...as is all the trash that stands in your way to get there.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Champion

To me unique items just aren't that special if you don't have to beat up a big ol' El Monstro to get them. If you're getting them just as often from chests of champions it just doesn't seem like an achievement finding that special piece. On the other hand, going through all the trouble of beating up a boss only to get a unique drop that's useless for your character is all the more irritating if that's your primary outlet for them.

Going by that chart that character got roughly 40% of their uniques from bosses and I personally think that's pretty close to where than number should be, though I think the percentage from champions should be higher and the percentage from normal chests should be lower.

Currently Playing: Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders

Last edited by Keyrock; 03-16-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Lord Advocate

I mostly agree. I did enjoy seeing monsters in TQ carrying some unique though and then swiftly killing them to claim my prize!

Overall all though, I do believe most of the good loot you get should come from either bosses or special chests after killing a boss. I dunno..it just feels right
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Lord Advocate

Yea, the graph is impressive

I think that unique champion monsters should at least rival (if not beat) boss farming. Limiting the farming to bosses will cause the game to get stale fast. You know where to get the farm, it's the same boring routine you did a hundred times before. And what are you going to do with the equipment? Farm that same boss harder/faster? I know that's what we've been doing, but when speaking for myself, I always tried to go to as many places to farm in a single game session as possible, even if it was a bit less effective. In D2, I'd visit most alvl 95 areas, farmed the unique champions that were easy to reach and than went on to Baal, Diablo, Mephisto and possibly Andariel. To get at least some diversity going..

I think there can be a good synergy between boss and champion farming though, might post a thread about that later on.
And well, chest farming - I dunno, I'm not too excited about opening chests. Giving good loot from chests will kinda force me to open every chest I come across, it slows down the speed.

Last edited by yerkyerk; 03-16-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Champion

Yeah, it's like on paper D&D: Killing a water weird or kobold gives you the same chance to find something as killing a red dragon? Hell no.

Bosses please. Farming is just a routine created out of observation.

EDIT: I do agree with you over heroic champs et al.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpheas View Post
Yeah, it's like on paper D&D: Killing a water weird or kobold gives you the same chance to find something as killing a red dragon? Hell no.

Bosses please. Farming is just a routine created out of observation.

EDIT: I do agree with you over heroic champs et al.
For me at least that's pretty much what it comes down too...the risk/reward dynamic and well...you know a bad ass dragon *should* have the best loot around.

With that said I think yerk's comments on the champion monsters is good too...a bit more variety there and as long as the champions are sufficiently difficult then the proper rewards are necessary.

*edit*

The chests I was talking about were the huge golden ones (or spikey ones in hades ) after killing bosses or doing something like the "hades generals" quest. I wouldn't want the best stuff to come from regular crappy chests you find along side the road though...although something nice once in a while is good too.

Last edited by Renevent; 03-16-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Closed Thread