Old 01-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Advocate

Default Table Top Wargames/Minis (other than 40K)

There are obviously a few WH40K fans around here, probably enough to merit their own thread. I used to play a heavily Khorne chaos army (3rd/4th editions). I've since retired...

These days I'm all about Warmachine, with it's comparatively tight rules and small armies. I have a Khador army that is growing by leaps and bounds, and a Menoth starter box still in... the box.

I also looooooooove Battletech. Someone (maybe Tycho?) is also a player, but said something about the IP having problems? Care to expand?

I also have a 15mm Catalan army with lots of Almughavars and a mix of heavy Spanish cavalry and light bow cavalry. I've used it for both Armati and Field of Glory, the latter being one of my favorite games I never get to play.

I played a little Infinity on and off, with a small Ariadne force. I like infiltration and camo rules for that game, as well as being able to take opportunity fire.

Steam ID 'thederrick'
Old 01-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drokalypso View Post
I also looooooooove Battletech. Someone (maybe Tycho?) is also a player, but said something about the IP having problems? Care to expand?
OK, so Harmony Gold is stirring shit (again) by suing over mech designs (again). That, and the latest videogames for the Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise all look like dogs' dinners in one way or another. (Mechwarrior Online is a hot mess, Mechwarrior 5 Mercs craps on lore and will have no MechLab, and Battletech is apparently going to be using MWO's retarded heat scaling system instead of the tabletop heat scale among other issues). If you play minis or with MegaMek though none of that particularly matters. Also, IMO the storyline of the Battletech universe falls off a cliff in quality post-FedCom Civil War (possibly as early as Clan Invasion depending on your opinion of that). The Blakist Jihad and the Dark Age are unpopular with lots of loreheads.

Basically, the IP is being attacked by a notorious copyright troll, while its video game incarnations are being questionably managed by Piranha Games and Harebrained Schemes, while having nowhere new to go storywise because apparently people just don't care about anything Jihad-era or later. Which is a shame because I really like it. Life is suffering.

EDIT: There is some irony in that I'm actually rooting for Piranha to emerge victorious from the lawsuit because HG are such unbelievable asshats. There's hope that if Piranha (somehow) and HBS reinvigorate the BT video game scene, new TT material will follow as well and perhaps the franchise will experience a Renaissance with new TROs and more updates to the canonical storyline as a result (possibly more novelizations) but Piranha and HBS are unlikely saviors, to say the least.

Last edited by Tycho; 01-17-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:04 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
OK, so Harmony Gold is stirring shit (again) by suing over mech designs (again).
Wat? Seriously, why though? What a colossal waste of time and money.

Quote:
That, and the latest videogames for the Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise all look like dogs' dinners in one way or another.
Yeah, not a fan of competitive play. The solo games haven't really interested me either, as I just don't like the style of play they emphasize. The turn-based game piqued my interest, but not enough that I'm actively following the game. Is it out? I don't even know.

Quote:
Also, IMO the storyline of the Battletech universe falls off a cliff in quality post-FedCom Civil War (possibly as early as Clan Invasion depending on your opinion of that). The Blakist Jihad and the Dark Age are unpopular with lots of loreheads.
I like the idea of the Clan invasions. I don't know that it was ever executed particularly well from a meta-fiction standpoint.

The Blakist thing is just a warmed-over rehash of the Clan invasion, for most purposes. "New tech! New Mechs! Bad Guys! Woooo!" Yeah, not a fan. Never got into the Dark Age lore at all...

Steam ID 'thederrick'
Old 01-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Banned User

HBS is putting out occasional sneak peeks at 'mechs and bits of gameplay here and there, but Battletech is not out yet. The latest Harmony Gold lawsuit may affect whether it ever sees the light of day, actually, because of the use of the Reseens in it.

Harmony Gold is honestly a terrible company, it has effectively prevented a lot of Japanese mecha stuff (Macross/Robotech mainly) from seeing official Western releases and they've been copyright trolling Battletech for decades now even though they really don't have a legal leg to stand on (Piranha has already filed for the suit to be dismissed as frivolous, one can only hope they succeed). Microsoft technically owns the Battletech rights since they bought FASA so long ago, you'd think Microsoft would step in with their gigantic legal department and step ON Harmony Gold but apparently that's too much to hope for just yet.

In any event, I actually expected the minis scene to be reinvigorated by advances in 3D printing but maybe that comes later. My minis all got stolen a long time ago (along with some other things) and I don't live close to a FLGS with a big table anymore either, so I settle for playing around in MegaMek when I get the itch.

Last edited by Tycho; 01-17-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Advocate

Yes, I'm sure that shaking down Catalyst for the tens of dollars they've made off of the Battletech IP is highly lucrative...

Hopefully Harmony Gold irks Microsoft just enough.

Steam ID 'thederrick'