Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 10-23-2017, 12:50 AM
Initiate

Default Need Help - Character Completely Falls Apart In DLC

Here is a link to my current build: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2MAoMm2

Goal of the build is to sit in the middle of everything and rip them apart with 2H Melee attacks while sustaining with a variety of lifesteal skills and devotions. Biggest survival tools for me are the Ghoulish Hunger devotion and Wendigo Totem / Feral Hunger. Skill points aren't how I'd like them, but I just started the DLC after beating Ultimate for my first time and I didn't know the respec lady in Devil's Crossing would die.

Damage is decent, I'm getting about 57% resistance reduction with Wind Devil and the devotion attached to it, and with all my skills active I'm hitting roughly 72,000~ DPS with Savagery, and that's not counting the myriad of damaging procs and skills I have on my gear and devotions.

Biggest problem with this build is that I'm either always full HP and completely unkillable, or I'm dead instantly. There's not really much inbetween. For 80% of the game it doesn't matter, but the two biggest problems for me are Vitality and Aether damage... Especially Aether. Any kind of Aether and my build falls apart.

And now that I'm at the DLC, I've immediately noticed that Vitality and Aether are probably going to be the two most common damage types I'm going to face.

I've got pretty much all of my augments for armor set up to boost my Aether resist, and all my components to boost my vitality and acid resist, but it's just not enough.

I'm not sure what I can do without changing my gear considerably... but I don't really have anything better to switch to. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Laraso; 10-23-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:44 AM
Herald

You really need to overhaul your build. How far into the new content are you? There's a tonne of late game components/augments that can help you.

But for some quick fixes here's my advice.
If you are "lightning focused" you must take "Arcane Bomb" and you should never ignore "Tenacity of the Boar". This should be maxed on a Savagery build. Never overcap "Heart of the Wild" or "Raging Tempest", they offer little in return. Buy back most of the points from Maelstrom and place them into "Tenacity of the Boar". Once you reach the "Coven of Ugdenbog" you buy back skill points etc and modify your build further. It's not a good idea to take "Raging Tempest" and Elemental Storm. They don't stack but can work in some builds.

I would personally climb further into the Soldier tree as well.

Lastly your components and augments are in bad spots. Without completely changing up your build take a look at what I've done to raise your resistances.
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/JVlqwYxZ

Your gear really needs to be looked at though. There's a tonne of better stuff out there.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_King View Post
It's not a good idea to take "Raging Tempest" and Elemental Storm. They don't stack but can work in some builds.
Except they do stack now.

Raging Tempest: replaced Reduced Elemental Resistance with -% Elemental Resistance, this is a change meant to make Wind Devils more compatible with other Resist Reduction effects. The resist reduction no longer persists for 1s after the Wind Devil moves away from the target.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:23 AM
Initiate

Like I said, my skills aren't in a good place right now. I got a few pieces of equipment right before I beat the Loghorrean on Ultimate that overcapped many abilities that didn't need it. I planned on taking a lot of skill points out of stuff but then the DLC happened so I haven't had a chance yet. I only just started it, only explored a little past the first rift portal you find in the DLC. Everything was just immediately so much exponentially harder than the rest of the normal game that I decided to take a break and ask for advice here.

Why is Tenacity of the Boar considered so good? 12 points for only a little bit of offensive and defensive ability doesn't sound particularly that appealing to me, especially when I'm already getting a ton of that from the soldier tree with Markovian's Advantage, Fighting Spirit, and Field of Command. My chance to crit on most enemies is already between 12% - 20%. The health regeneration bonus is almost completely irrelevant since all of my healing comes from attack damage converted to health, not health regen.

Also, your point about Raging Tempest used to be true, but not anymore. Arcane Bomb no longer stacks with it, now it stacks with Elemental Storm instead.

Last edited by Laraso; 10-23-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:36 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraso View Post
Like I said, my skills aren't in a good place right now. I got a few pieces of equipment right before I beat the Loghorrean on Ultimate that overcapped many abilities that didn't need it. I planned on taking a lot of skill points out of stuff but then the DLC happened so I haven't had a chance yet. I only just started it, only explored a little past the first rift portal you find in the DLC. Everything was just immediately so much exponentially harder than the rest of the normal game that I decided to take a break and ask for advice here.

Why is Tenacity of the Boar considered so good? 12 points for only a little bit of offensive and defensive ability doesn't sound particularly that appealing to me, especially when I'm already getting a ton of that from the soldier tree with Markovian's Advantage, Fighting Spirit, and Field of Command. My chance to crit on most enemies is already between 12% - 20%. The health regeneration bonus is almost completely irrelevant since all of my healing comes from attack damage converted to health, not health regen.

Also, your point about Raging Tempest used to be true, but not anymore. Arcane Bomb no longer stacks with it, now it stacks with Elemental Storm instead.
Mate, 107 OA and 83 DA isn't 'a little bit'. You want to always stack as much OA and DA as you can afford. 12 points is absolutely worth it. Maxing fighting spirit on the other hand, isn't, since it has an unreliable uptime. Put some points into oak skin if you need the pierce res until you can fill that res with gear, also gives you some additional armor.

And arcane bomb and raging tempest stack with each other in addition to Elemental storm.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:05 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tora View Post
Except they do stack now.

Raging Tempest: replaced Reduced Elemental Resistance with -% Elemental Resistance, this is a change meant to make Wind Devils more compatible with other Resist Reduction effects. The resist reduction no longer persists for 1s after the Wind Devil moves away from the target.
Forgot all about the changes when replying and the worst part is I'm currently using an Elementalist with Raging Tempest and Elemental Storm...Go figure.

Quote:
What Tora said. Everything stacks, hell if you had enough devotion points I'd tell you to go for "Ultos Shepherd of Storms" because the proc on that also stacks, though if you changed your devotions to what I suggested earlier you'll have "Viper" anyway which offers this

Last edited by Duck_King; 10-23-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:06 AM
Initiate

I don't know, maybe it's my inexperience at play (this is my first ARPG, and my first character that's reached Ultimate) but when I look at the opportunity cost of putting those 12 points into Tenacity of the Boar compared to what other things I could pick up it just doesn't seem worth it. For example, those 12 points could get me +85% All Damage and +14% attack speed from Squad Tactics instead - attack speed massively increases my DPS, while also increasing my survivability by giving me more chances to proc Feral Hunger and get the lifesteal. Or I could go further down the soldier tree and pick up Scars of Battle to get the CC reduction and increased armor absorption to increase my survivability.

I guess I'll give it a try and see if it feels like it makes a difference, but just looking at the raw numbers it doesn't seem very convincing.

Last edited by Laraso; 10-23-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:19 AM
Supporter

Quote:
I don't know, maybe it's my inexperience at play (this is my first ARPG, and my first character that's reached Ultimate) but when I look at the opportunity cost of putting those 12 points into Tenacity of the Boar compared to what other things I could pick up it just doesn't seem worth it. For example, those 12 points could get me +85% All Damage and +14% attack speed from Squad Tactics instead - attack speed massively increases my DPS, while also increasing my survivability by giving me more chances to proc Feral Hunger and get the lifesteal. Or I could go further down the soldier tree and pick up Scars of Battle to get the CC reduction and increased armor absorption to increase my survivability.

I guess I'll give it a try and see if it feels like it makes a difference, but just looking at the raw numbers it doesn't seem very convincing.
You're doing what most newbies do though, ignoring the importance of DA and OA and just looking at DPS. Just because it's looks good on paper, doesn't mean it'll translate well into actual game. Anyway you got suggestions on how to improve from Duck_King. Try em out, see if it helps. Otherwise you might need to farm up some gear. AoM can be unforgiving