Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > Modding - Projects

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 03:29 AM
Praetorian

Default Zenith Miniblog: The Elementalist (Part 2) (Release!)

This was sooner than even I was expecting.

Last time, we saw the in-progress Elementalist mastery and its tools to let you mash buttons to victory. This time we're going to take a more conservative approach with the Elementalist's main cooldown skills.

First up, we have a fairly straightforward one: Breath Fire!

Being one of only two skills in the Elementalist mastery that features % Weapon Damage and being on the lower-end of Energy Costs in the mastery (you'll see), Breath Fire should be popular to hybrid builds as much as pure casters.

Next up we have Ice Wall, whose summons totally weren't stolen from Moosilauke!

Ice Wall allows for tremendous battlefield manipulation as you can block off chokepoints and assault enemies from beyond your bulwark. Do note, however, that charging enemies - like Rotting Soldiers - can run through, and in some cases push apart, your wall of ice, so don't get too cocky with this. Otherwise, Ice Wall is nontargettable and lasts until its timer runs out or you re-summon it.

Lastly, we have Stormcaller:

For a tremendous amount of energy, you can rain down electric death upon your enemies for a decent while. The skill applies its damage every 0.1 seconds, meaning it'll strike 10 * its duration times against a scaling number of targets. Doesn't pack a hell of a punch up front, but will annihilate groups of enemies over time. I'm considering buffing its damage and nerfing the strike frequency if it slows down people's computers too much, but it runs fine on mine.

But there's more to show than just this. The Elementalist is a very active mastery, involving substantial energy costs but also significant means to regenerate your energy. Part of this lies in the mastery itself, as I alluded to with the Terror Knight mastery:

You're still here?

Oh, what, you want to try out the mastery for yourself rather than reading about it? Why, of all the nerve. Fine, here you go: the mastery ported over into the vanilla Grim Dawn campaign. Note that the balance of the mastery is meant for Zenith, not vanilla GD; in some respects it'll be too weak, in others it'll be too strong. Also note that there will be ZERO itemization support for the mastery in vanilla GD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
I think a lot of people are confused (and I'm not pointing this at anyone in particular, this is just a general statement) about the purpose of this release. This release is NOT the Zenith mod. This is a small teaser of it. I don't plan on updating this teaser too frequently (so version numbers are going to be more or less moot), mostly just tossing this out there to get feedback on skills and to look for bugs/irregularities (such as Stormcaller's framerate drops).

If you are interested in providing feedback, please tell me which skills you like most and which you don't care for (if any). I'm not especially concerned with balance because, again, this mastery is not made for vanilla GD; it's made for Zenith.

Big thanks to DeMasked, ASYLUM101, and Elfe for helping me figure out some problems with the skills!

Changelog:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Ceno; 06-12-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:33 AM
Supporter

!!! Downloaded!
Old 06-10-2016, 05:19 AM
Praetorian

Awesome news and I'm glad that things are going a bit quicker then expected (for now at least lol).

Fun Fact: Ice Wall used to be an Arcanist skill as well as Wizard Trap (Warden Krieg Mine ability) plus an aether chain lightning type skill if I remember correctly.

I am rather curious about the name of the skill that I helped with and I'm happy to have given some aid in figuring out that puzzle.

Will eventually check this out, currently busy leveling my Hungering Void Conjurer pet build.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:34 AM
Supporter

Max Stormcaller and get lightning items, lightning devotions, GG ez

mobs blow up as they come in range of your stormcaller
Old 06-10-2016, 05:49 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunzan View Post
Max Stormcaller and get lightning items, lightning devotions, GG ez

mobs blow up as they come in range of your stormcaller
Try it on Ultimate.

And, again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno
Note that the balance of the mastery is meant for Zenith, not vanilla GD; in some respects it'll be too weak, in others it'll be too strong. Also note that there will be ZERO itemization support for the mastery in vanilla GD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMasked
I am rather curious about the name of the skill that I helped with and I'm happy to have given some aid in figuring out that puzzle.
Rupture, 50/50 skill.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:36 AM
Initiate

Already a preview release? You are so fast Ceno, so insanely good and devoted !

I am really tempted to try it out but hey, i'm just gonna wait for the jewel you are creating
Old 06-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Acolyte

i am confused, whats the deal with fire pillar? tooltip says 1 damage, would you do a 10 sec vid to show of the skill? i dont want to invest 10 points in mastery just for testing
Old 06-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by laggygame View Post
i am confused, whats the deal with fire pillar? tooltip says 1 damage, would you do a 10 sec vid to show of the skill? i dont want to invest 10 points in mastery just for testing
But you can always respec them back
Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Acolyte

you cant respec points spend in mastery, once u leave the skilltree window they are fixed. or did i miss something?
Old 06-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by laggygame View Post
you cant respec points spend in mastery, once u leave the skilltree window they are fixed. or did i miss something?
Oh, I mistook what you said for ten points put in that skill
Sorry.
Closed Thread

Tags
elementalist, mastery, mod, zenith