Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default What do you think of Relics?

So Relics are out there for you to discover, craft and combine!

I'm curious as to what you guys think of the system as a whole:

Are the Relics you are discovering interesting?

Does the rate at which you are discovering new Blueprints feel rewarding?

Are you finding the cost of crafting Relics to be an appropriate challenge? Are Tier 2 (Transcendent) Relics an appropriate cost for the power they provide?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Initiate

Well, I'd started a new character and reached the Warden's cellar, always on Veteran.
I've got one recipe, no blueprints and two Ancient Hearts + one Blood of C'thon.
Not very exciting, sadly.

Don't know if that is the rate you intended for the drops.
I remember that in Titan Quest I was able to create quite a few artifacts in the course of the game - start to finish, without farming.
I hope this is, more or less, your goal for relics in Grim Dawn.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Speaker

Yeah like enabling wielding dual pistols. Haven't looked at the meele/caster ones yet, but they are definitely interesting.

They are extremely rare, don't know if that's intended or not, I thing the aproppriate drop rate should be blue/3 or something like that

Are you finding the cost of crafting Relics to be an appropriate challenge? Are Tier 2 (Transcendent) Relics an appropriate cost for the power they provide?

Haven't found a recipe for tier 2, yet
Old 04-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Supporter

I have found a number of blue prints and have not sunk more than 2 hours into it so far. I really like the crafting system. Especially all the different skills that are accessible via the different relics. It really adds another element of customization.

I also like that it is a good sink for components as I have accumulated quite a few.

However, I have found one aspect of it quite frustrating. That is the storage/organization of all the aforementioned components.I find it frustrating that I have my entire shared inventory full of components. So swapping loot and finding correct components is a bit of a chore.

This by no means is a game breaker for me, just an annoyance.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Speaker

I think the relics are interesting, plus the drop rate is fine to me. If it's too Common it's not rewarding anymore. I mean it's a farming game. But I do have a question regarding whether the plan drops randomly or on set monster types?
Also it would be great to see plans for eqs and weapon not previously known or in the database I know that's a lot to ask for but great work so far!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Praetorian

Running with a new self found char in veteran, only got to the last riftgate before the warden so far due to lack of time and so far only found 2 blueprints (both recently, first dropped at around level 12-15) and one crafting only component (blood of Ch'thon) from Dreni.

Have crafted 1 ribbon and 1 shield so far, they seemed ok for costs and ok items, nothing outstanding, but reasonable greens

Have no tier 2 to say about costs/power.

Nothing wonderful in my relics list yet.

Like the idea of the crafting, hope I find more as the game progresses.

Would love to have a way of viewing a list of the bluprints I've found separate from what the blacksmith is able to create anyway. Maybe a crafting list that can be viewed without having to go back to the blacksmith each time

Space to store components and crafting items

Haven't got many yet, but I can see this is going to be a right pain trying to keep space for all the normal components and the crafting bits. I can see the crafting getting ignored quite a few times due to the hassle of getting everything from the stash to inventory to see what you can craft and then dumping it all back again afterwards, and trying to keep it organised at the same time

Overall view

From almost at the end of act 1 is that crafting looks interesting and will hopefully become more useful in later game than it is at the moment, but until I get further in act 2 I just don't know and lack of storage space really does put me off using the crafting to its full extent.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Speaker

Oh yes components very big prob now that I have two characters just to store components.
Either give us infinite space in our chests or make the components stackable to stacks of 100
Old 04-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantax View Post
I mean it's a farming game.
Aren't you thinking about FarmVille?

Seriously though, why would you say that? I, for one, dislike farming and don't practice it. That has never bothered me in Titan Quest, for example, as I was able to find enough epic/legendary gear to keep both my interest and the life of my characters. Also, as I've mentioned before, I was able to craft quite a few artifacts - about two each act, on average. The drop rate of formulae and needed materials allowed me to do so without farming.

Hopefully, you guys at Crate won't let us oldschool, single player, roleplaying, non farming lot down. I'm not asking for drop rates that would dilute the meaning of powerful items - just don't make it necessary to farm certain places over and over for many hours in order to enjoy everything the game has to offer.

The situation with rares and epics in Grim Dawn, in contrast, is great. I find my share of interesting and powerful items every now and then. Not too much, but definitely not too little.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Reynard

In general I don't like the crafting system so far. It seems like you've just reimplemented the badly broken crafting system from Diablo 3.

I have played one new character up to level 34 (just short of 35). I do full clears of each area. I finished the playthrough at level 31 and then repeat various farming area up to 35. After that I will either start another new character, or just go back to Soulvizier and wait for another patch.

The three relics we get by default are not very interesting.

I have not found any blueprints yet. So, no, it does not feel rewarding.

In general, all the crafting recipes seem to expensive. It would be nice to have crafting be useful in the early game. The necessity of collecting 60,000 iron to get the stash upgrade makes early crafting impossible. (Make the stash infinite and stop charging for the upgrades.)

I think you are going in the wrong direction. This is not the only place that's true. Fortunately there will be modding tools so the community can fix it.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Counsel

So far yes. I've found about half a dozen different ones. I've crafted two and the one I'm using (Calamity) has a cool proc skill and is more powerful than I expected. Others I am very much looking forward to testing (Looking at you Gunslinger's )

The drop rate seems fine. I can find several in a 2 hour farming session. You can't use the lowest ones until level 18, so I don't think it's unreasonable to get to the end of act 1 without finding one, as some people are experiencing. Eventually we will have 3 acts in 3 difficulties to play through and farm.

I've found one Tier 2 Relic (Haunt), but won't be using the blueprint until I can make an Arcanist . The stats look awesome, and I think the cost is appropriate. Using a Monster Infrequent was unexpected - fortunately I have it already . I think it's reasonable that the higher tier relics require a lot of work to craft, to be earned.

Any other thoughts?

I think some of the new crafting materials like Tainted Brain Matter, Ancient Heart etc could drop with a little more frequency. Scrap seems to have had a drop rate boost with B18, but I can find 4 or 5 Epics and 2 or 3 Recipes/Blueprints in a session without finding one ingredient item. NEED MOAR BRAINS!

I'd also agree with the previous poster regarding iron - it's always been a struggle early on if you don't have a stash of items from other characters to transfer over to sell, and crafting can only compound that.

Last edited by Oudeis; 04-27-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
crafting, relics