Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Old 10-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_ View Post
Let me forego quoting as Iím using a mobile phone and itís a pain.

(to the developersí spokesman) Thereís no such thing as truly finishing a build unless you GDStash or have thousands of hours in the game. MC is PROBABLY not gonna get a Nightmare Mode but not because devs ďdislike endless progressionĒ (bs) but because it doesnít pay.

(to the self-found gear enthusiasts) In my experience, people who insist on building with gear self-found in MC and refuse to trade, when asked about Crucible, they blush and say they donít like it.

(to the opponents of difficulty increase) If you think MC is hard youíre doing something wrong (which is totally normal for the first walkthrough btw). Ultimate is actually the easiest with access to faction stuff, components and finally to endgame gear. At lvl 94 nothing in MC can touch even my solo mastery builds (been playing around with solo soldier and inquisitor for added challenge - still no challenge). This isnít bragging or complaining - just stating an obvious fact.

The reason why I started this thread is because devs spent hundreds of hours designing endgame gear and seem to have overlooked that there is no place for most of that gear in MC! Modding... Yeah but I like to stay legit and trade legit. Why not incorporate one of the mods into the base game, tweak it a little, add a few achievements on Steam and make it totally optional? In theory, would such a move be possible in the gaming industry?

I assume you have tried not being a dick, but it didnīt really work out for you?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:21 AM
Herald

Quote:
Thatís not that. It sounded more like: ďhey watch me Iím hardcore cause I do hc.Ē Many of the very top builders donít do hc. Itís just not for everybodyís nerves. Personally, I wanted to try it but the thing with separate stash has been putting me off.

Off topic (sry): try it is whatever you do feels important, if you do decently feels like yo achieved something. But when you die you might kick furniture in your room. Not that i did that but...well a kick to my bookshelf matters?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Supporter

I get the feeling you are coming to the end of GD's life but are in denial. Understandable that you want to enjoy GD more but you either need to adapt your play style or move on to a different game.

There is a lot wrong with your post but at the very least you acknowledge why the devs won't do what you ask but still ask for it anyway :P.

Quote:
Let me forego quoting as I’m using a mobile phone and it’s a pain.

(to the developers’ spokesman) There’s no such thing as truly finishing a build unless you GDStash or have thousands of hours in the game. MC is PROBABLY not gonna get a Nightmare Mode but not because devs “dislike endless progression” (bs) but because it doesn’t pay.

(to the self-found gear enthusiasts) In my experience, people who insist on building with gear self-found in MC and refuse to trade, when asked about Crucible, they blush and say they don’t like it.

(to the opponents of difficulty increase) If you think MC is hard you’re doing something wrong (which is totally normal for the first walkthrough btw). Ultimate is actually the easiest with access to faction stuff, components and finally to endgame gear. At lvl 94 nothing in MC can touch even my solo mastery builds (been playing around with solo soldier and inquisitor for added challenge - still no challenge). This isn’t bragging or complaining - just stating an obvious fact.

The reason why I started this thread is because devs spent hundreds of hours designing endgame gear and seem to have overlooked that there is no place for most of that gear in MC! Modding... Yeah but I like to stay legit and trade legit. Why not incorporate one of the mods into the base game, tweak it a little, add a few achievements on Steam and make it totally optional? In theory, would such a move be possible in the gaming industry?
1st point: I think you and the devs have a different vision about what it means to finish a character. You might believe that means acquiring all the gear (even good rolls of said gear) but to the devs I imagine the end means completion of enough content as can reasonably be expected with the build. On the latter interpretation there is no endless progression.

2nd point: There is no reason for a self found player to blush at that; show me the large number of builds that can complete 150-170 cruci in faction gear/random acquired epics/legendaries. You seem to mock self found gear players but that is an option for you in order to continue enjoying GD.

3rd point: You begin by acknowledging that the MC difficulty begins hard to average new player but once accustomed gets easier and then you jump the gun straight to the endgame gear character that experiences little challenge (which as you pointed out takes many hours at which point you have got your moneys worth). Don't jump the gun and you answered it yourself; the game is not supposed to be infinite.

Last para: They have not overlooked anything; for the amount of hours of play this game can give before the game becomes trivialised the moneys worth is easily obtained. If the game were much more expensive than it is then sure you have a right to complain but it isn't.

TLDR: you give a very weak reason to suggest the devs create a new mode when you yourself give a poor reason for refusing mods (How exactly are they illicit?). Either adapt your play style (imposing restrictions on yourself or play mods) or move on to another game.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:38 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea fleecestealer View Post
Everyone plays the game differently. For me, my character is done when I finish Ultimate no matter what gear they have. I'm not interested in having BiS and just don't farm, it's not my thing. My goal is finishing the game, that's it.

As for finding Ultimate easy, that may be the case for you, but most likely not the majority of players who reach it. I've only completed it once and while it wasn't horrendously difficult, it also wasn't easy. And remember we're talking about that 2.1% of people who even play Ultimate once or more.

As for incorporating mods into the game, this is from the stream of the 14th September. It's regarding ingame storage, but the principle is the same.

"IMayBackstab: @CrateEntertainment any plans to assimilate some of these inventory/stash mods for a 5 or 10 dollar fee? Your players would be happy to spend that while also not splintering the player base as much with mods.

I mean the people who have created these utilities for you guys have done them from their own free will for free and us basically taking that and charging money for it seems very unfair to them. And from our development perspective we have design decisions for why the bags are limited as they are. It is not just arbitrarily limited to screw you guys over, there are genuine reasons why that isn't the case. But for those of you who want more stash space, that is why we allow modding and that is why you can use those utilities so you can have as much space as you want and because they work outside of the game they don't splinter the player base. You can't only play with people who use GDStash or GDIA, like you can play with everybody."

The Shattered Realm being an endless dungeon will allow you to push your characters to the limit which seems to be what you want to do. Also the new mutators in the challenge areas will help the difficulty issue as well.

As said, there are several mods which increase the difficulty of the game so give them a try. You can also challenge yourself by using only yellow or even just white items, go completely Naked (weapon/shield only), get into speed running, etc. If you want to be really masochistic you could try Grimarillion naked. Because given the clamour for a reduction in the number of difficulties we already have and the difficulty of doing that, it's pretty clear another one isn't going to be added.
Thanks. I think I’m convinced to finally try out some of the mods while waiting for FG. Grimarillion does sound interesting. Is it a good place to start?

Also, I feel I might have been unclear in stating my intentions which weren’t to complain or lobby for raising the difficulty of the Main Campaign but to suggest adding an optional overhaul of Ultimate in a similar but maybe more extreme fashion as Veteran is for Normal. In the light of the fact that almost 98% players never finish Ultimate as is asking for the former would indeed be unrealistic if not plain extreme. For understandable reasons neither is going to happen but I’m sure that Forgotten Gods won’t disappoint regardless.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks. I think Iím convinced to finally try out some of the mods while waiting for FG. Grimarillion does sound interesting. Is it a good place to start?

Also, I feel I might have been unclear in stating my intentions which werenít to complain or lobby for raising the difficulty of the Main Campaign but to suggest adding an optional overhaul of Ultimate in a similar but maybe more extreme fashion as Veteran is for Normal. In the light of the fact that almost 98% players never finish Ultimate as is asking for the former would indeed be unrealistic if not plain extreme. For understandable reasons neither is going to happen but Iím sure that Forgotten Gods wonít disappoint regardless.
Yes, a Veteran's mode for Ultimate has been suggested in some of the streams, and not happening according to Zantai.

I've only played Grimarillion so can't really comment on any others, but it increases mobs and heroes and has the Titan Quest Immortal Throne masteries to play with and some D3 and others as well, though you don't have to try them if you don't want to. They're also fully compatible with the GD ones so you get a nice lot of different class combos to try out. Asylum101's done a lot of work on the other masteries to make them fit into the GD mold so should give you plenty of variety. If you want to experience it in a slightly less difficult form (I think) try the Ungrim version. Grimarillion/Ungrim are a combination of several different mods as you can read here.

http://grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77514
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks. I think I’m convinced to finally try out some of the mods while waiting for FG. Grimarillion does sound interesting. Is it a good place to start?
It's the only difficulty mod I have played but at the very least it makes Cairn a lot meaner and many (not all) of the base game bosses and encounters are more interesting. I can't attest to nemesis or super boss as I never got that far. At high levels when monster damage becomes more significant I felt it was a bit much (but I wouldn't call myself a good player).

I know that Roguelike dungeon encounters are much harder. Not sure about bosses like Alkamos because I was put off SoT by Ilgorr the Eternal encounter; on a low armor character it requires strategy/dps I couldn't pull off and wasn't geared for.