Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 11:28 PM
Supporter

Default Bets ways to improve my Offensive Ability/Defensive Ability? & Build critique

Hey all,

I've been working on a few builds lately which are defensively very strong with great damage and resistances but really struggle with OA.

My current Pyromancer has around 2500 at level 94 which really doesn't seem like enough even after putting a stack of points into BoD and Flame Touched.

Even Devotions wise I've tried to spec into Devotions with good OA buffs but still doesn't seem like enough. I can't really put more points into Cunning due to needing Physique to maintain a decent Health pool, so what are people's suggestions on how I can improve my OA and, I suppose, the build in general.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV15Rp7V

This is as close as I could get, my resistances are capped (except Stun which I'm looking for a decent Chest/Legs/Boots of Kings for) but I feel like with a 2800-3000 OA I could be doing even stupider amounts of damage.

Base damage is currently a touch over 102k and Abominable Might brings it to 125-130k, but my low OA means I have a pretty pathetic crit chance :/

I think the weakest aspect however is the under 2000 Defensive Ability, and I'm really not sure what to do about that, but even with over 1000 Phys I'm still well under DA'd which will obviously lead to me getting destroyed by bosses and nemesis enemies...

Any other thoughts on items or changes that I should make to the build are also welcome. I'm trying to locate a Darkblaze Source currently to in place of the Tainted Ruby, and I'm not planning on changing Weapon/Head/Belt/Shoulders/Badge and the Rings are pretty good but everything else is changeable.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers

Tazor
Old 12-15-2017, 12:33 AM
Supporter

Reduce CoF to 10/10 at most, dump Second Rite to 4/12, reduce Fire Strike and Explosive Strike to 12/12, then max Blood of Dreeg and Flame Touched. Replace jewelry augments with Survivor's Ingenuity, replace ring components with Runebound Topaz, and dump the Bloodsworn Vestments for Chestguard of Justice. You'll have to shift other stuff to make up some resistances but this would get you to 2900 OA and 2400 DA. Shift devotions enough to get 4 points in Wolverine and dump all that excess Cunning and you'll be at 2500 or so.

You'll probably want more DA though (and more OA would be nice) plus I don't see enough life leech or regen but I'm out of time for the moment.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:54 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demophile View Post
Reduce CoF to 10/10 at most, dump Second Rite to 4/12, reduce Fire Strike and Explosive Strike to 12/12, then max Blood of Dreeg and Flame Touched. Replace jewelry augments with Survivor's Ingenuity, replace ring components with Runebound Topaz, and dump the Bloodsworn Vestments for Chestguard of Justice. You'll have to shift other stuff to make up some resistances but this would get you to 2900 OA and 2400 DA. Shift devotions enough to get 4 points in Wolverine and dump all that excess Cunning and you'll be at 2500 or so.

You'll probably want more DA though (and more OA would be nice) plus I don't see enough life leech or regen but I'm out of time for the moment.
Thanks so much, that is sensationally helpful!
I actually don't have CoF above the cap, I just goofed, but I have applied your ideas and ended up with this:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVW9Rx5N

This is ideal gear so obviously the boots and pants are very optimistic finds!
But I've also added the Darkblaze source so the OA goes over 3000 which is great. DA is still not ideal but I think it's manageable and better than the <2000 it was.

Last edited by Tazor; 12-15-2017 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:42 AM
Advocate

You know the passive on your gloves only count for two handed ranged weapons, right? You'd be better off with either the standard or the mythical voidsteel gauntlets. The standard ones are fantastic because of witchblaze which will give you an increase in damage but sacrifice some armour. You could also use the mythical handguards of justice since you are using the chest plate for that massive armour increase and damage absorption increase. I'd strip the salve component off the pants and go for an ancient armour plate. I'd also suggest leathery hide for the helmet but I know how much you had to use and probably farm to get the titan plating so that is fine. I'd strip 3 points out of blood of dreeg and 2 points out of witchfire and bump aspect of the guardian up to nine for the poison resistance and the physical resistance. I'm curious why you chose abomination over dying god?
Old 12-15-2017, 03:26 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofknight View Post
You know the passive on your gloves only count for two handed ranged weapons, right? You'd be better off with either the standard or the mythical voidsteel gauntlets. The standard ones are fantastic because of witchblaze which will give you an increase in damage but sacrifice some armour. You could also use the mythical handguards of justice since you are using the chest plate for that massive armour increase and damage absorption increase. I'd strip the salve component off the pants and go for an ancient armour plate. I'd also suggest leathery hide for the helmet but I know how much you had to use and probably farm to get the titan plating so that is fine. I'd strip 3 points out of blood of dreeg and 2 points out of witchfire and bump aspect of the guardian up to nine for the poison resistance and the physical resistance. I'm curious why you chose abomination over dying god?
I do know that yes, I went for them over the Voidsteel, which I also have, because of better resistances and stats for what I was running at the time. Honestly they just give me a resistance I was lacking, +3 to a skill I use and decent buff to my primary damage type and flat damage.

I chose Abomination because it was more attainable for the other Devotions I went for, and because the damage/health and conversion all work really well with the dynamic of my build. Crit damage is great, but Abominable Might is better in every other way for my build.

I could possibly spec out of Ulzuins torch now I've converted most of My Fire damage and dropped it as a main damage type and try and get both Abomination AND Dying God, but it would mean ditching a few of my good defensive or debuffing devotions. No reason I can't try though.

I'll probably stick with the respec I just posted, since I'd rather the OA from BoD than the Poison Acid or Physical Res from AotG.

I didn't see the proc on standard Voidsteels though! That's actually awesome, so I'll check if I have a pair of these to use, thanks for pointing that out!

EDIT: Here's a Potential Devotion spec with Dying God and Abomination
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GlJrnV

Last edited by Tazor; 12-15-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Supporter

Just realised I misspelled best in the topic... Gg me. Going off previous spec, I've found some really good of kings pants so I don't have any ADCTH so I'm wondering if I'll be better off replacing entropic coil with a mythical lifegiver ring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 04:00 AM
Advocate

This is my current set up for my witchblade until I can get the other things I need but it might give you some ideas;

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/4NOQM14V

I am going to change the components when I go through the mind numbing process of farming all the ugdenbloom I need but other characters have priority at the moment. I'll also be switching my gauntlets back to the standard version of the voidsteels because it is just better to have the AoE in my opinion.

Also in terms of your binds I'd put witchfire bound to CoF. I'd bind hungering void to something that you don't use all the time, something you can choose when to proc it so you don't proc at an inopportune time and kill yourself. Flame torrent I'd bind to fire strike. Abominable might I would bind to something that is guaranteed to cause enemy deaths blazing charge maybe? Also why are you using the mythical version of the blood sigil when the standard one is much better?

Last edited by Woofknight; 12-16-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:06 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofknight View Post
This is my current set up for my witchblade until I can get the other things I need but it might give you some ideas;

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/4NOQM14V

I am going to change the components when I go through the mind numbing process of farming all the ugdenbloom I need but other characters have priority at the moment. I'll also be switching my gauntlets back to the standard version of the voidsteels because it is just better to have the AoE in my opinion.

Also in terms of your binds I'd put witchfire bound to CoF. I'd bind hungering void to something that you don't use all the time, something you can choose when to proc it so you don't proc at an inopportune time and kill yourself. Flame torrent I'd bind to fire strike. Abominable might I would bind to something that is guaranteed to cause enemy deaths blazing charge maybe? Also why are you using the mythical version of the blood sigil when the standard one is much better?

I actually really like how my devotions are set up currently, I used to have Abominable might on my charge but found it was less dependable than firestrike, and I'm using the mythical blood Sigil because it magnifies my damage MASSIVELY by converting the other 50% of fire damage to chaos on firestrike meaning firestrike is an almost entirely chaos based attack. Appreciate the similar build to refer to though