Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 02-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Supporter

I like your suggestion of component skills to level.

In that vein, I suggest cracked lodestone as one that merits consideration. Its AOE is pretty solid. I often put that on my melee toons and find that the added aoe and lightning dmg speeds up the process significantly.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensgnblack View Post
I like your suggestion of component skills to level.

In that vein, I suggest cracked lodestone as one that merits consideration. Its AOE is pretty solid. I often put that on my melee toons and find that the added aoe and lightning dmg speeds up the process significantly.
Nice, yeah i remember it. It's like CT

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 02-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
Are you sure about Feast?
Yeah you can check on grimcalc. In most cases it doesn't really matter since he has relatively low health for a boss.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dioarchet View Post
Yeah you can check on grimcalc. In most cases it doesn't really matter since he has relatively low health for a boss.
Lol, yeah i still added him. Thanks

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 02-20-2017, 02:45 PM
LoveD2

Quote:
Not having high amounts of flat damage to work with isn't a big issue as the %weapon damage on zero-CD Blades is very low. Our main focus is to get some skill points into Nether Edge since that is the core of this build and the main source of our cold damage.
I like the build idea, I wish game designers would allow more cold builds since they're my favourite in all games. But they seem to think freezing is such a big advantage that they need to make cold almost unplayable in other ways. Sad.

But anyway... reading this I didn't understand the quoted sentence above.

1. If the %weapon-damage on Blades (presumably Phantasmal Blades) is low... AND there's no high amounts of flat damage available... why is that a good thing? I read both of those things as problems. Hope that makes sense.

2. PB has high innate pierce and bleed and some %weapon-dmg, so why not stack some of those damage types? Yes, bleed is a dot (not sure about pierce) but is cold essential for PB?

I also realised that I'm not 100% clear as to how %weapon-dmg works. If I have a stick that says "100 physical dmg" and a skill does 50% weapon dmg then I get 50 physical per cast?

But then if I change it to a stick that says "100 cold dmg" then I get 50 cold dmg per cast instead?

If that's true, then a cold-based spell user should have a weapon with cold damage in their hand?
Old 02-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveD2 View Post
But anyway... reading this I didn't understand the quoted sentence above.

1. If the %weapon-damage on Blades (presumably Phantasmal Blades) is low... AND there's no high amounts of flat damage available... why is that a good thing? I read both of those things as problems. Hope that makes sense.

2. PB has high innate pierce and bleed and some %weapon-dmg, so why not stack some of those damage types? Yes, bleed is a dot (not sure about pierce) but is cold essential for PB?

I also realised that I'm not 100% clear as to how %weapon-dmg works. If I have a stick that says "100 physical dmg" and a skill does 50% weapon dmg then I get 50 physical per cast?

But then if I change it to a stick that says "100 cold dmg" then I get 50 cold dmg per cast instead?

If that's true, then a cold-based spell user should have a weapon with cold damage in their hand?
1. Bad phrasing on my part. Lethal Assault does add to good amounts of flat damage in a shotgun situation (which is 90% of the time)
But flat damage per blade is too low.
But we drop Lethal Assault cause keeping it up is a chore

2. Well this is a Cold Caster

3. Cold based weapon is the key.

See flat damage added to per blade is low but during shotguns it all adds up and is hence good. But this build already has too many things to cast so we drop ABB all-together

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 02-20-2017, 06:03 PM
LoveD2

Quote:
Cool, thanks for clarifying

Sorry to ask in dribs and drabs, but a couple of other questions occurred when I was re-speccing my old PB breaker:

1. Is the playstyle of the final build to stay at range or to SS into a pack of mobs?
Since PB has a fair bit of range, it seems a bit suicidal to use SS as the normal method. Is SS just for escape? (when in trouble SS a mob and get 500% speed and run like hell?)

2. The skill bindings section doesn't seem to have Elemental Storm attached to anything? It mentions binding it to PB in the levelling section (pre-Leviathan) but it doesn't seem to be bound to anything in the finished build, although it is in the final devotions setup. RoS?

3. Also, where do you assign wayward soul - Star Pact, VoS or IEE - does it matter as long as it's up 100& of the time? Therefore not P. Burst.

4. You have a couple of points in the crossroads that don't seem necessary (1 Chaos, 1 Order) - not sure if there are better options.

Edit: removed question re Oklaine's - I failed to spot that the +3 green is needed for Leviathan.

Last edited by LoveD2; 02-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 AM
LoveD2

Default Build idea

While I was looking to see if there were any answers to my previous post, I got to thining about the Build Concepts of this this build...

One is that it's a pain in the donkey to keep ABB/Lethal Assault up, so it made me think about some crossbows I found that had +4 PB. Maybe the game designers are telling us that the way to keep ABB up and stay ranged is to use a crossbow first, get ABB/Lethal Assault running, then use PB with the xtra cold dmg loaded up - and still at range.

Would that work?

It could have a xbow on switch but weapon-switching is just another form of painful, so maybe it would be necessary to use the xbow all the time.
Are there any good xbows in the game that could do this?

EDIT: Or a pistol with a shield or offhand?

Last edited by LoveD2; 02-21-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Ascendant

Quote:
Cool, thanks for clarifying

Sorry to ask in dribs and drabs, but a couple of other questions occurred when I was re-speccing my old PB breaker:

1. Is the playstyle of the final build to stay at range or to SS into a pack of mobs?
Since PB has a fair bit of range, it seems a bit suicidal to use SS as the normal method. Is SS just for escape? (when in trouble SS a mob and get 500% speed and run like hell?)

2. The skill bindings section doesn't seem to have Elemental Storm attached to anything? It mentions binding it to PB in the levelling section (pre-Leviathan) but it doesn't seem to be bound to anything in the finished build, although it is in the final devotions setup. RoS?

3. Also, where do you assign wayward soul - Star Pact, VoS or IEE - does it matter as long as it's up 100& of the time? Therefore not P. Burst.

4. You have a couple of points in the crossroads that don't seem necessary (1 Chaos, 1 Order) - not sure if there are better options.

Edit: removed question re Oklaine's - I failed to spot that the +3 green is needed for Leviathan.
No issues. I am primarily sticking around the forums cause i have too many builds posted here.

1. You can do both, if someone is being a pain in the ass then just cast icehill can freeze
I am used to Kite and Kill play-style. Still i did chain-freeze some enemies to death
Just be careful with Icechill, getting the timing right practice

2. Rhowan's Crown is there for flat bonuses and elemental resistance. The devotion skill isn't needed as we already have manticore

3. You already knew the answer

4. Spare devotion points can go anywhere

Quote:

One is that it's a pain in the donkey to keep ABB/Lethal Assault up, so it made me think about some crossbows I found that had +4 PB. Maybe the game designers are telling us that the way to keep ABB up and stay ranged is to use a crossbow first, get ABB/Lethal Assault running, then use PB with the xtra cold dmg loaded up - and still at range.

Would that work?

It could have a xbow on switch but weapon-switching is just another form of painful, so maybe it would be necessary to use the xbow all the time.
Are there any good xbows in the game that could do this?

EDIT: Or a pistol with a shield or offhand?
Don't sweat it

I tried Pistol + Off-hand combo. It seems weaker. You loose the flat cold damage from Lox's dagger which isn't worth it at all

Like i said Lethal Assault is good but one can live w/o it

Plus the main thing is your effective DPS drops if you bring in ABB to the mix. To put it simply i am a spam caster who needs to hit an LMB every 3 sec to keep up a buff. The tediousness aside it does slow me down a little bit

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Initiate

If you are leveling with this build I think its better to get Leviathan Devotion ASAP, something like this (requires 27 points):

http://grimcalc.com/build/1008-z4JQu7

Then when you get enough points you can reset to final build

Last edited by dragon84; 03-13-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Tags
aether, cold, phantasmal blades, reaper, spellbreaker