#11  
Old 04-17-2018, 07:09 AM
DrThoss's Avatar
DrThoss DrThoss is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
You can play Grim Dawn on Steam in offline mode whenever you wish and always could.
Oh? Well then I apologize for the misinformation. Apparently my understanding of DRM is flawed. I can probably put some of the blame for that on wikipedia. How does DRM work then if you aren't connected to the internet?
__________________
I see a dark sail on the horizon
Set under a black cloud that hides the sun.
So, bring me my broadsword and clear understanding.
Bring me my cross of gold as a talisman.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-17-2018, 08:33 AM
powbam's Avatar
powbam powbam is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThoss View Post
Oh? Well then I apologize for the misinformation. Apparently my understanding of DRM is flawed. I can probably put some of the blame for that on wikipedia. How does DRM work then if you aren't connected to the internet?
This might help..
How Steam Employs DRM & What That Means For Your Game
__________________
powbam is like a forum vulture, when he shows up, the thread is close to death. ~jiaco
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-17-2018, 07:48 PM
Vifarc Vifarc is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
You can play Grim Dawn on Steam in offline mode whenever you wish and always could.
No, after 2 or 3 weeks when you couldn't reach steam, you can no longer play.
It happens many times to people working in bad internet foreign countries.
If they had a GOG game, they could still play, and after several weeks once they find an internet connection they can at last synchronize their saves.

Last edited by Vifarc; 04-17-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 PM
powbam's Avatar
powbam powbam is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
No, after 2 or 3 weeks when you couldn't reach steam, you can no longer play.
It happens many times to people working in bad internet foreign countries.
If they had a GOG game, they could still play, and after several weeks once they find an internet connection they can at last synchronize their saves.
As it says in the article I linked, Steam needs to reauthenticate every couple of weeks but barring that you can indeed play offline. It's not perfect (nor was I making any claims otherwise) but you can do it. If you can't find a momentary connection once every 14 days then sucks for you I guess. Shouldn't be too hard to do in most of today's world I would think.

If you want complete unimpeded freedom then go GoG of course. I have it on both so I'm good to go either way.
__________________
powbam is like a forum vulture, when he shows up, the thread is close to death. ~jiaco

Last edited by powbam; 04-17-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Thewitchermr's Avatar
Thewitchermr Thewitchermr is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Default

i think i buy now gog version, and maybe some days can play with steam players
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 PM
Matrix Matrix is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
No, after 2 or 3 weeks when you couldn't reach steam, you can no longer play.
It happens many times to people working in bad internet foreign countries.
If they had a GOG game, they could still play, and after several weeks once they find an internet connection they can at last synchronize their saves.
I had thought I had gone longer than 2-3 weeks before without a connection and had no issue with GD.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Thewitchermr's Avatar
Thewitchermr Thewitchermr is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Default

I buy now on gog full game, my 1st original game for 22years of playing
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.