Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Old 10-13-2018, 05:07 AM
Counsel

I just finished the Hyperion trilogy by Dan Simmons. The first tome is a masterpiece. The other two are mediocre. Some of Ursula K. LeGuinís classics - Dispossed and The Left Hand of Darkness - before that. Iím now reading The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.

For all fans of hard SF I wholeheartedly recommend the works of Polish author Jacek Dukaj especially his recent novel The Old Axolotl - a brave experiment in digital literature including a video trailer by an Oscar nominated studio and 3D illustrations by the guy who designed the Transformers.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:21 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
Finished the witcher books. The main ones plus the prequel. Obsolutely loved them. Geralt, Yen, Ciri, Dandelion - some of the best characters I've read of. And their stories... made me love them so much.

Then there is the world - dark and twisted fantasy that feels too real sometimes. No actual evil, even the "monsters" are not all monsters. It's built well, with depth that's very gripping.

The lore is very interesting. The creatures, the races, the magic. Even though it's standard stuff - dragons, elves, dwarves, there is more to it. Can't quite put my finger on it but I enjoy it a lot more than the usual fantasy tales.

I will miss this universe a lot. It's really sad to know there won't be any new stories. At least, I have the games. And the netflix series. I really hope they can't capture the "magic" of the books.
Iíve read the Witcher novel series (there are also two tomes of short stories) both in Polish and English and I have this to say: the English translation is VERY BAD compared to the original. I donít mean to say the translator did a bad job, no. Itís just that Sapkowskiís writing can hardly be translated at all. In reality the Witcher isnít so much hard fantasy - as it seems to be to the whole world - as it is satire of Polish historical, cultural and contemporary social reality filled with allusions and linguistic quirks that can be only understood by Polish readers.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_ View Post
Iíve read the Witcher novel series (there are also two tomes of short stories) both in Polish and English and I have this to say: the English translation is VERY BAD compared to the original. I donít mean to say the translator did a bad job, no. Itís just that Sapkowskiís writing can hardly be translated at all. In reality the Witcher isnít so much hard fantasy - as it seems to be to the whole world - as it is satire of Polish historical, cultural and contemporary social reality filled with allusions and linguistic quirks that can be only understood by Polish readers.
I've read them in Russian, so... oblivious to all of that ^^' To me, it's exactly "hard fantasy"
Old 11-02-2018, 11:52 PM
Campaigner

Heh, found a solution to my bad reading in bed habits, instead I just read while lying/sitting on the bed. Which helps avoid my stupid brain from thinking lying under the sheets = reading teim.

Devoured:

Infomocracy by Malka Olde - turned out to pretty fun, but it took the first act of the book to get things together. Which is probably why I read that bit over a month...

The Quantum Magician by Derek KŁnsken - f*cking brilliant, sure I don't agree with the central bit of conciousness being need to decohere quantum states, but it doesn't stuff up the story of the gamble that forms the central story point. Namely, how the fluff do you move a fleet of ships through one heavily defended wormhole and not get blown to pieces? Tore through it 3 sittings.

The Labyrinth Index by Charles Stross - Been waiting for this all fluffing year and devoured it in about 8-ish hrs. Because it's utterly fluffing brilliant, horrific and damn fun. Can't wait to see how the Avatar of Nyarlathotep (who's now PM of the UK) plans for a marble Tzompantli near Nelson's Arch turn out in the sequel. Oh and it turns out Lovecraft was wrong on what Cthulhu really looks like /shudder

Currently reading - The Dreaming Stars by Tim Pratt - so far so good, need to find some time to properly read it, but currently a bit stuffed due to sleep fun...
Old 11-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Counsel

Quote:
I've read them in Russian, so... oblivious to all of that ^^' To me, it's exactly "hard fantasy"
Quick question: as a Russian person, did you find the Witcher series funny/humorous?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:29 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_ View Post
Quick question: as a Russian person, did you find the Witcher series funny/humorous?
The whole series? No, def not. It had its funny moments here and there. But overall it was more grim than anything.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
The whole series? No, def not. It had its funny moments here and there. But overall it was more grim than anything.
Same. I'm an English reader and it's been a while now since I last read any of it but I don't recall it coming across as intended to be humorous in any fashion. I'm sure it had moments but other than that just dark, hard fantasy. I liked it very much tho but as for Polish intricacies, well, I guess we can leave those to the Polish. We still get a pretty good read out of it regardless.

And honestly it is good that the localization editors/translators left political commentary (in regards to Poland) out of it. Outside readers likely wouldn't care for such things nor likely understand the context with the exception of broad social issues perhaps. We're there for a good fantasy romp, not to be dragged into a localized debate.

Last edited by powbam; 11-09-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:45 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
Same. I'm an English reader and it's been a while now since I last read any of it but I don't recall it coming across as intended to be humorous in any fashion. I'm sure it had moments but other than that just dark, hard fantasy. I liked it very much tho but as for Polish intricacies, well, I guess we can leave those to the Polish. We still get a pretty good read out of it regardless.

And honestly it is good that the localization editors/translators left political commentary (in regards to Poland) out of it. Outside readers likely wouldn't care for such things nor likely understand the context with the exception of broad social issues perhaps. We're there for a good fantasy romp, not to be dragged into a localized debate.
Matter of taste, I guess. Personally, I found the original hilarious. The English translation in turn seemed a little dry and soulless. Still high above the regular mass produced fantasy pulp though.