Old 03-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nssheepster View Post
You're looking for more like that new Berserk game.
that's a musou
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Praetorian

So, new class is announced in 18-20 hrs? Or we're going to await the arrival of Croblo this time?

Howdy! Ulgrim, are you there? It's me, your best friend.

Traversing the Void? 'Tis but a fairy tale.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackS View Post
that's a musou
Cough. You realize that that refers to Dynasty Warriors styled games...And those are Hack/Slash games? Generally those games are THE Hack/Slash games.

So I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. :-)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post

It is included. Now we just need invisible pants and boots so we can "float".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
Of course, otherwise why even bother?
Well I was hoping it wasn't cause now every profile will be a clone of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dragon View Post
I think Chthonian Unraveller getup needs to be implemented as well.
Something funny about my henchmen that i missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dragon View Post
So, new class is announced in 18-20 hrs?
Can't tell whether joking or serious

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Diablo II: RoT Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Houck View Post
Nydiamar Mod
Old 03-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Cough. You realize that that refers to Dynasty Warriors styled games...And those are Hack/Slash games? Generally those games are THE Hack/Slash games.

So I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. :-)
hack 'n slash is a generic term referring to sword&melee weaponary games

back then usually referred to diablo, nowadays basically anything remotely action with melee weapons

so yeah, musou games is just way more specific, and also GD IS a H'n'S game
Old 03-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Herald

I would have to disagree. Hack and Slash as I see it used refers to games that are almost entirely melee, and have little to no options in your gameplay. You are given a set character list, those characters do set things...And that's what you get. That's fine, if you like that, but that is far different from an ARPG, which is focused on providing massive options and deepening the RP aspect where possible.

Hence why I can't consider GD a Hack/Slash in any way, because it's not mostly melee, and you have so many options that it's like comparing a puddle (Berserk, Dynasty Warriors) to the ocean.

Not that I intend to turn this into a discussion of the term, I just want clarity, because as I believe I said.... I mean what I say, and I say what I mean. Sometimes it causes problems thanks to the various meanings of some gaming terms, but there's not much I can do about that.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:39 PM
Advocate

Transmog, yessssssss! My useless collection of items I never use is vindicated!

Also, RIP my bank.
Quote:
Hack and Slash as I see it used refers to games that are almost entirely melee, and have little to no options in your gameplay.
That doesn't seem like a very useful definition. I think often there's too much focus on minute details like this (which person it's in, are you slashing or shooting, etc.), as opposed to more far-reaching gameplay effects (how much role-playing, how important is loot, how is loot distributed, what's the pacing like).

About 10 years ago, I've seen Hack&Slash widely used to specifically refer to fast-paced loot-heavy hordes-of-monsters games, which was the whole bucket of Diablo, Sacred, Loki, etc. Maybe you weren't always slashing, per se, but you were likely repeatedly whacking monsters with a button, whether it was a sword attack or a fireball.

Contrasted with, say, Nox. People who don't know better and categorize games based on controls or viewpoint keep trying to lump Nox with Diablo.

Hack & Slash seems to have a long history and I'd argue it's a fairly useless term at this point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack_and_slash

I think a lot of this happens due to the PC-console split. If you only play on PC, the games that the other definition of H&S could refer to practically didn't exist, and vice versa. Now, they merged, rendering the term practically useless.

Dynasty Warriors is also fairly distinct from all the other games like Devil May Cry, as well, I would really not lump them into the same category at all.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:59 AM
Herald

we'll be getting a release of new line of fashion sets later in Grim Misadventure #113: A "Newer" You
Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Speaker

Quote:
I would have to disagree. Hack and Slash as I see it used refers to games that are almost entirely melee, and have little to no options in your gameplay. You are given a set character list, those characters do set things...And that's what you get. That's fine, if you like that, but that is far different from an ARPG, which is focused on providing massive options and deepening the RP aspect where possible.

Hence why I can't consider GD a Hack/Slash in any way, because it's not mostly melee, and you have so many options that it's like comparing a puddle (Berserk, Dynasty Warriors) to the ocean.

Not that I intend to turn this into a discussion of the term, I just want clarity, because as I believe I said.... I mean what I say, and I say what I mean. Sometimes it causes problems thanks to the various meanings of some gaming terms, but there's not much I can do about that.
hack and slash means what it says, a game about hacking and slashing, diablo was, therefore GD is

the RP aspect in diablo like games are as deep as a dry puddle

eh, 40+ characters with their own set of comboes = no option
really?
you might mean no costumization
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargenus View Post
I think a lot of this happens due to the PC-console split. If you only play on PC, the games that the other definition of H&S could refer to practically didn't exist, and vice versa. Now, they merged, rendering the term practically useless.
I think the real "culprit" can be found in (some of) the a-jrpg, which were basically stats & loot games with action combat

Last edited by TheBlackS; 03-06-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Emissary

IT'S THIS TIME OF THE WEEK AGAIN.

Tags
grim misadventure, itemization, npcs