Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Old 08-06-2018, 12:59 AM
Initiate

Question Lots of trouble leveling Arcanist with OFF in 1.0.6.1

Anyone attempt OFF+Greater Fire Blast or leveling an Arcanist in general recently?

Basically it seems universal advice is to use OFF+Fireblast or OFF+Trozan's or some combination thereof. This is my third-ish character and I am struggling with these builds. OFF more or less slaughters trash but before its off cool-down I'm already back in the mix and taking damage. It seems mostly useless against bosses and some heroes. Fireblast (Greater or otherwise) has been underwhelming at best. Trozen's hasn't wow'ed me and Devistation just seems like a bigger slower more expensive version. While stuff is on cool down or I'm standing there lobbing fire blasts my energy and my hp race each other to zero. My trouble with this has me wondering if Arcanist was rebalanced in a recent version. What gives?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:08 AM
Champion

I have no idea why they recommend that...personally if i wanted to level arcanist I'd use either CT + devestation or prm + devastation.

Kinda odd you don't like devastation though it's one of the best skills in the game.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:16 AM
Champion

Where are you at currently and what difficulty? I find Flash Freeze+Greater Fireblast is great for Normal/Veteran and can be used up until Log (though, I generally swap out Fireblast for whatever mastery skill I plan on using around Homestead/~Level 35). Devastation at around 1-4 points is great here as well.

If you're in Elite or Normal post-Log, I'd probably move away from Fireblast and replace it with Stormfire when you're able if you want to keep using a skill like it.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:25 AM
Champion

Did you spec into OFF's RR?

Quote:
Can I talk to you about our lord and savior Jesus - Tycho
Old 08-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Herald

When I level an Arcanist, I use OFF till level 35, then pick up the Haunt relic and stick with that. You can also take PRM or whatever is the name of that skill if you want to hold a great distance between your enemies and kite. For leveling, CT seems better, but taking in account that it's better to not care about defense at all in normal/veteran, PRM is way better because it is ranged and allows you to kite, therefore gaining (in some cases) defense, while CT is almost melee. The only downside in PRM is the huge skill point cost.

I don't play Crucible.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Champion

PRM used in conjuction with devastation enables you to farm 2 mobs simultaneously. You shoot one space invader style, and then rain death on the other.

Quote:
Can I talk to you about our lord and savior Jesus - Tycho

Tags
arcanist, leveling, new player