Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Grohuf Grohuf is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,275
Default

About leveling. In OFF + AAR build you need to get 4 points in OFF. Then get 7 level and complete 1 component (fire or poison). Better to complete Searing Ember (it worth to buy missing components from vendor) and put it in decent weapon (with %fire, %aether or with energy regen). With OFF and component skill you will be able to get to 11 level where you can pick AAR. Now you have your death ray but you need energy to use it. You should gather all energy regen equipment which you will find. Spirit is good too. At this stage of the game you should distribute stats as 3 spirit:1physique. You need to get energy regen at 4 your slots (one of them ofc - ring for quest). This will allow to use AAR freely and continue to level it.
Now you can get your AAR to 3-4 level and OFF to 8 level (8 level is essential to get 4th tick of cold damage). After this pick second mastery and get your defensive skill (raven or BlastShield+VW from demo). Also you can get Mirror or Sphere.
Do not put a lot of skillpoints to your defensive skills. You main defense is offense. So keep your energy regeneration rate high (always upgrade your items with energy regen). Always use focus with +%energy regeneration bonus (not +flat bonus). Keep slowly upgrade your AAR. His damage is enough if it oneshots weakest mobs.
To survive you need decent hp pool. So use couple of components with +hp and pair of armor slots should give flat hp.
After 25 level you will need to start about defense (your AAR should have 9-10 points). You will need to go to 2 spirit:1physique distribution and put more points into defensive skills (start to level Maiven's Sphere). After getting components with energy regen you can start thinking about OA on gear.
In general you should keep your energy rate high enough to keep using AAR in long fight until cd on energy pot is over. Keep your AAR as high as possible. And rest put into your defense (hp pool and defensive skills). OA is good but it's hard to get without sacrificing more important stats. So you will be able to start stacking it after getting a lot of components and augments with energy regen. Also second item with %energy regen (first is focus) would be nice.

Last edited by Grohuf; 06-22-2015 at 09:22 PM.
  #22  
Old 06-24-2015, 03:19 AM
WolfOverclocked's Avatar
WolfOverclocked WolfOverclocked is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daegon View Post
Hi WolfOverclocked

Thanks for all the effort you put into making this really detailed guide, had a great time levelling all the other classes but struggled with Arcanist then found your build and went with it, gave me hope for the Arcanist class - fun and so far so good. I had followed your other thread when it was just pure Arcanist so I already have quite a few points in Callidor's etc but now seeing these other variations I am keen to transition into Demo..

So my question is this, would you perhaps please consider adding a levelling section in your guide ie: general point allocation guideline. I have found with most builds on these forums they never include a levelling section and sure I can think for myself, but as it stands I have full mastery points in Arcanist but 1 pointed Aether Ray - do I max Aether Ray before going all the way to Cannister Bombs in Demo or go straight into Demo? Do I need the stun utility or higher damage more while levelling because clearly one one or the other is possible until max level..

For all I know the easiest levelling could even have been to start as Demo.. just saying I suppose that depends on whether I have twink gear in the stash.

Edit : Is flat Aether damage on gear beneficial at all? Such as the warped affix? Reason I am asking is because for ring recommendation (given that I havent found an Aetherlord's Signet) you recommend the Devil's Crossing ring, which has flat Aether dmg + %Aether dmg.... But the Rhowari Wrath Seal (Rovers Honored) looks better? Or is the cast speed on the Devils Crossing rings tipping the scales?

Just for your convenience a rough average comparison (bear in mind the stats change up vendor reset) :

Devil's Wrath Seal (Devils Crossing Honored) :
7 Aether dmg
+38% Aether dmg
Increase Energy regen by 12%
4% Attack speed
5% Cast speed
9% dmg reflected

-vs-

Rhowari Wrath Seal (Rovers Honored) :
30 Energy leech over 3 sec
+38% Aether dmg
+16% Elemental dmg
+312 Energy
+9 Aether Resist
+9 Elemental Resist
I'll work on adding a leveling section.

The main thing I seem to remember doing is putting a point (or a few) in Panetti's Replicating Missile to act as a sidearm until the Aether Ray, then use a mix of both until getting enough Energy Regen. Callidor's Tempest works great as well, even if your toughness isn't really high, because of Maiven's Sphere, Flash Freeze, and the Mirror you can protect yourself a bit when things get close. Also, building Mental Alacrity is another option to shoot for earlier because it'll help regulate the energy expenditures of the beam.

Flat damage is applied to your weapon attack, as is percent damage. Flat damage is not, however, applied to skills unless they have Weapon Damage listed on the ability. So, Callidor's Tempest has default weapon damage as part of it. The Aether Ray doesn't, but Disintegration (it's modifier) has some weapon damage. Ultimately, percent is better for the beam, since it affects the beam directly. Now, that being said, for the rings listed, I preferred using the Devil's Wrath Seal because of what it provided beyond the Aether damage, specifically, the casting speed. Though really, either works and it's personal preference between the two.

Anyways, thanks for enjoying the guide and builds!
__________________
"Don't worry, you'll all get a chance to ride the beam."
  #23  
Old 06-24-2015, 03:24 AM
WolfOverclocked's Avatar
WolfOverclocked WolfOverclocked is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohuf View Post
About leveling. In OFF + AAR build you need to get 4 points in OFF. Then get 7 level and complete 1 component (fire or poison). Better to complete Searing Ember (it worth to buy missing components from vendor) and put it in decent weapon (with %fire, %aether or with energy regen). With OFF and component skill you will be able to get to 11 level where you can pick AAR. Now you have your death ray but you need energy to use it. You should gather all energy regen equipment which you will find. Spirit is good too. At this stage of the game you should distribute stats as 3 spirit:1physique. You need to get energy regen at 4 your slots (one of them ofc - ring for quest). This will allow to use AAR freely and continue to level it.
Now you can get your AAR to 3-4 level and OFF to 8 level (8 level is essential to get 4th tick of cold damage). After this pick second mastery and get your defensive skill (raven or BlastShield+VW from demo). Also you can get Mirror or Sphere.
Do not put a lot of skillpoints to your defensive skills. You main defense is offense. So keep your energy regeneration rate high (always upgrade your items with energy regen). Always use focus with +%energy regeneration bonus (not +flat bonus). Keep slowly upgrade your AAR. His damage is enough if it oneshots weakest mobs.
To survive you need decent hp pool. So use couple of components with +hp and pair of armor slots should give flat hp.
After 25 level you will need to start about defense (your AAR should have 9-10 points). You will need to go to 2 spirit:1physique distribution and put more points into defensive skills (start to level Maiven's Sphere). After getting components with energy regen you can start thinking about OA on gear.
In general you should keep your energy rate high enough to keep using AAR in long fight until cd on energy pot is over. Keep your AAR as high as possible. And rest put into your defense (hp pool and defensive skills). OA is good but it's hard to get without sacrificing more important stats. So you will be able to start stacking it after getting a lot of components and augments with energy regen. Also second item with %energy regen (first is focus) would be nice.
I agree with most of what's here, but I think Flash Freeze works as a 1-pointer throughout it's use unless you're focusing on it.

The only disagreement I have is that I'd advise against the 2:1 Spirt:Physique ratio. 1:1 is what I've found best for the Aether Ray build. I think I ended up with 22-23-ish in both and only put a few points in Cunning for the occasional gear requirement.
__________________
"Don't worry, you'll all get a chance to ride the beam."
  #24  
Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 AM
Grohuf Grohuf is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,275
Default

1 point OFF have very low freeze time. Very low radius. And no damage. 12/12 is much more different.
Quote:
1:1 is what I've found best for the Aether Ray build
I do not think that you test this. You just did this and that's all.
  #25  
Old 06-24-2015, 11:06 AM
doublebuck doublebuck is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohuf View Post
After 25 level you will need to start about defense (your AAR should have 9-10 points). You will need to go to 2 spirit:1physique distribution and put more points into defensive skills (start to level Maiven's Sphere).
I have actually put all points to physique and so far (level 41 vet hc) it's working really well. I don't need the sphere at all, I have 1 point in mirror but I rarely use it and when I do it's because I think there might be some reflect mobs around when I cast Devastation.

I know not putting any points into spirit might sound weird, but it allows me to almost fully focus on offensive/utility skills. I have Soldier as the second mastery, a couple of points in MC and 1 point in FS.
  #26  
Old 06-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Daegon Daegon is offline
Acolyte
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOverclocked View Post
I'll work on adding a leveling section.

The main thing I seem to remember doing is putting a point (or a few) in Panetti's Replicating Missile to act as a sidearm until the Aether Ray, then use a mix of both until getting enough Energy Regen. Callidor's Tempest works great as well, even if your toughness isn't really high, because of Maiven's Sphere, Flash Freeze, and the Mirror you can protect yourself a bit when things get close. Also, building Mental Alacrity is another option to shoot for earlier because it'll help regulate the energy expenditures of the beam.

Flat damage is applied to your weapon attack, as is percent damage. Flat damage is not, however, applied to skills unless they have Weapon Damage listed on the ability. So, Callidor's Tempest has default weapon damage as part of it. The Aether Ray doesn't, but Disintegration (it's modifier) has some weapon damage. Ultimately, percent is better for the beam, since it affects the beam directly. Now, that being said, for the rings listed, I preferred using the Devil's Wrath Seal because of what it provided beyond the Aether damage, specifically, the casting speed. Though really, either works and it's personal preference between the two.

Anyways, thanks for enjoying the guide and builds!
Thanks for your reply mate, again great guide. I'm already lvl 46, ended up doing a big respec dropping a lot of points in Arcanist to get those stun cannisters asap - helped a lot.

I have deviated a bit from the skill point allocation - I put a lot more focus in Maiven's Sphere to drop the CD a bit, and I only have 1 point in Disintegration - is Disintegration better than Fabric of Reality for damage gain overall?

Thanks for the explanation on the flat / % dmg, makes sense now. I ended up choosing the Devils Crossing rings as I also liked the cast speed - stacking cast speed makes a huge difference with the ray.

Regarding offhands, why is Crushing Will on such a high recommendation when it doesnt even add Aether damage? I am using it currently but only because I like the cast speed - I dont use IEE.. I also have Dementia and a really nice rare pulsing shard, as well as access to most of the faction items. Is the general priority Aether dmg % > Cast Speed > Elemental % > Energy regen?
  #27  
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Daegon Daegon is offline
Acolyte
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohuf View Post
About leveling. In OFF + AAR build you need to get 4 points in OFF. Then get 7 level and complete 1 component (fire or poison). Better to complete Searing Ember (it worth to buy missing components from vendor) and put it in decent weapon (with %fire, %aether or with energy regen). With OFF and component skill you will be able to get to 11 level where you can pick AAR. Now you have your death ray but you need energy to use it. You should gather all energy regen equipment which you will find. Spirit is good too. At this stage of the game you should distribute stats as 3 spirit:1physique. You need to get energy regen at 4 your slots (one of them ofc - ring for quest). This will allow to use AAR freely and continue to level it.
Now you can get your AAR to 3-4 level and OFF to 8 level (8 level is essential to get 4th tick of cold damage). After this pick second mastery and get your defensive skill (raven or BlastShield+VW from demo). Also you can get Mirror or Sphere.
Do not put a lot of skillpoints to your defensive skills. You main defense is offense. So keep your energy regeneration rate high (always upgrade your items with energy regen). Always use focus with +%energy regeneration bonus (not +flat bonus). Keep slowly upgrade your AAR. His damage is enough if it oneshots weakest mobs.
To survive you need decent hp pool. So use couple of components with +hp and pair of armor slots should give flat hp.
After 25 level you will need to start about defense (your AAR should have 9-10 points). You will need to go to 2 spirit:1physique distribution and put more points into defensive skills (start to level Maiven's Sphere). After getting components with energy regen you can start thinking about OA on gear.
In general you should keep your energy rate high enough to keep using AAR in long fight until cd on energy pot is over. Keep your AAR as high as possible. And rest put into your defense (hp pool and defensive skills). OA is good but it's hard to get without sacrificing more important stats. So you will be able to start stacking it after getting a lot of components and augments with energy regen. Also second item with %energy regen (first is focus) would be nice.
Thanks for the tips Grohuf, I was already around lvl 45 when you posted this but its solid advice I will keep in mind for future levelling
  #28  
Old 06-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Grohuf Grohuf is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebuck View Post
I have actually put all points to physique and so far (level 41 vet hc) it's working really well. I don't need the sphere at all, I have 1 point in mirror but I rarely use it and when I do it's because I think there might be some reflect mobs around when I cast Devastation.

I know not putting any points into spirit might sound weird, but it allows me to almost fully focus on offensive/utility skills. I have Soldier as the second mastery, a couple of points in MC and 1 point in FS.
AAR build struggles if it cannot quickly kill enemies. If you cannot do this then you need to kite. AAR is bad in kiting. Also AAR does not require a lot of skillpoints to have decent damage (28 skillpoints full skill). But it requires a lot of energy. Spirit allows to solve this problem.
If I could I would not put a single point to physique but I have to because it's required for armor.
  #29  
Old 06-24-2015, 01:58 PM
doublebuck doublebuck is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohuf View Post
AAR build struggles if it cannot quickly kill enemies. If you cannot do this then you need to kite. AAR is bad in kiting. Also AAR does not require a lot of skillpoints to have decent damage (28 skillpoints full skill). But it requires a lot of energy. Spirit allows to solve this problem.
If I could I would not put a single point to physique but I have to because it's required for armor.
You are right about AAR and kiting. However, my approach is a bit different: I use TSS, AAR, and Devastation at the moment and I don't need to kite much. I want to see if this is a viable way for transitioning more and more towards AAR as I'm leveling. Right now I can't sustain AAR as long as I should, but I hope that will change. I don't have any points in MA yet but I plan to max it for 20% energy cost reduction and I'm also maxing IF for spirit and OA.

It will be interesting to know if going all physique will provide enough defenses, while still allowing constant use of AAR.
  #30  
Old 06-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Grohuf Grohuf is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,275
Default

You recieve best profit from IF if you maximizing your spirit. More spirit you have - more spirit you will recieve from IF. Same goes for MC.

Last edited by Grohuf; 06-25-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
albrecht's aether ray, arcanist, guide, sorcerer, warlock

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.