Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doemaen View Post
What do you think of a build like this for a chaos/fire/vitality build with insane leech and AoE from Sigil of Consumption and single target damage for high priority targets.
No defensive skills -> you will die. A lot.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:00 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohuf View Post
OFF is pretty bad as 1 point skill. I speak about maximizing OFF and AAR.
Tempest for control is bad because it knockbacks. It's hard to damage knockbacked enemies by AAR (it just misses them).
Tempest for damage requires different playstyle than AAR. It's hard to combine two playstyles. I do not tell that this is impossible but it's uncomfortable for me.
All the two skills need to do is buy you that fraction of a second to not die, so you can turn your main guns against them. Flash Freeze stops enemies dead right in front of you, Tempest with Wrath of Agrivix knocks them away. Investing in them is fine, as Flash Freeze can actually deal some nice damage while holding the enemies still longer, and it grows in size as well, while Tempest just becomes a stronger and stronger bomb. So, for me personally, either's good as a one-off. And, for me personally again, hitting the knocked down enemies isn't a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doemaen View Post
What do you think of a build like this for a chaos/fire/vitality build with insane leech and AoE from Sigil of Consumption and single target damage for high priority targets.
If you don't mind my tweaking some things here's how I'd spec out a build like that: http://grimcalc.com/build/VPb25d

It's need some more defenses. So, between Curse of Frailty, Flash Freeze, Mirror, and Sphere you should have a solid base for keeping enemies away/keeping yourself safe. You do lose damage from the Sigil though, as there's always a trade off. I get using it as a heal, but in my experience (which I'll admit is limited when it comes to the Occultist) it's difficult to keep enemies in the Sigil so it can do work, so having things like Flash Freeze and Curse of Frailty will keep lesser enemies in the DoT zone.

Points in Mental Alacrity and Fabric of Reality are good to have as well since they're free bonuses to your beam.

That's by no means writ in stone, there are a lot of options for the Warlock Beam now. I'd love to see if you build it and what you come up with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hey Wolf, love your videos, keep up the great work. I'm curious about Elemental Balance in your pure Arcanist build. That skill only increases DoT damage, so wouldn't it be better spent in Overload for % elemental?
Thanks! I shall try to keep up the videos. I think I'm going to have some more hardcore Arcanist stuff tomorrow.

Elemental Balance is a 1-pointer right now to get bonuses from +1 to Arcanist skills. There are some DoTs scattered around that gain a small benefit from it. I think it's more of a planning-for-the-future type of thing, in that expanding in the Demolitionist will have it yield more results.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:25 PM
Herald

Hmm... I think for my next hardcore build, I'll go with something along the lines of this. http://grimcalc.com/build/dhwIUT
Old 06-18-2015, 12:06 AM
Supporter

I want to try something like this: http://grimcalc.com/build/i7Op8g with Terror and Symbol of Solael - Soleal's Flame.

I'm pretty sure someone has this build already somewhere on these forums, but I don't see it immediately in front of me, so definitely not taking credit for it.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:09 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankaikiller View Post
Hmm... I think for my next hardcore build, I'll go with something along the lines of this. http://grimcalc.com/build/dhwIUT
Looks nice. I'm presently doing a hardcore pure Arcanist challenge on my youtube channel (sorry about the shameless plug no I'm not).

I won't be able to go into Soldier though because part of the rules I set for myself were no dipping for physique.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:12 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDanza View Post
I want to try something like this: http://grimcalc.com/build/i7Op8g with Terror and Symbol of Solael - Soleal's Flame.

I'm pretty sure someone has this build already somewhere on these forums, but I don't see it immediately in front of me, so definitely not taking credit for it.
Looks interesting. I could definitely see using the symbol combined with the beam to utterly destroy a target with chaos damage. The only note I have is for personal safety, putting a point here-and-there is some defensive things beyond Mirror.

It's exciting to see the Warlock Beam actually workable.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:27 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOverclocked View Post
Looks interesting. I could definitely see using the symbol combined with the beam to utterly destroy a target with chaos damage. The only note I have is for personal safety, putting a point here-and-there is some defensive things beyond Mirror.

It's exciting to see the Warlock Beam actually workable.
There's a point in Blood of Dreeg as well in that GrimCalc I linked. But in any case, from my experience with using Sigil on various builds, its all I really need at the moment for survival (granted with decent gear of course, not sure how it works out if all you have is blues to work with).

Admittedly, I haven't faced any of the Nemesis mobs with any of my Sigil builds, which I'm guessing are the ultimate tests for current builds. If they fall over as easily as everything else currently does though, then I think the build I linked should do fine. Currently running a Sigil/Doombolt/Sky Shard Warlock that's not having any real difficulty with the current content.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:25 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDanza View Post
There's a point in Blood of Dreeg as well in that GrimCalc I linked. But in any case, from my experience with using Sigil on various builds, its all I really need at the moment for survival (granted with decent gear of course, not sure how it works out if all you have is blues to work with).

Admittedly, I haven't faced any of the Nemesis mobs with any of my Sigil builds, which I'm guessing are the ultimate tests for current builds. If they fall over as easily as everything else currently does though, then I think the build I linked should do fine. Currently running a Sigil/Doombolt/Sky Shard Warlock that's not having any real difficulty with the current content.
Ah, missed Blood of Dreeg. I was just mentioning my experience with beaming, you sometimes need an oh poopy button.

I've gone up against Mouselauke (or however it's spelled) and Valdaran. I died near Mooseiluck, but it wasn't him that killed me, it was some ghosts that I forgot spawned in the area, so a ghost Shadow Striked me during the fight. Valdaran is just really fun.

They're like really robust bosses with unique moves.

Last edited by WolfOverclocked; 06-18-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Champion

Ripped my AAR+OFF char on the boss of Tyrant's Hold. The boss just one-shotted me by crit (did not noticed value). I had about 3350 hp (42 level) and was at max. I even did not felt danger and thought I had killed him already. Dunno is it normal because arcanist have not good way to get big HP pool and DA. Funny that I created thread about HP 1hour before this accident.
Still gameplay was very smooth and I liked it (it was purely selffound). I had small troubles only in events when a lot of adds spawned. For example, spider boss in the challenge area which spawns crazy amount of spiders.
I heavily focused on energy regeneration (had 120 e/s at this level). I want to try to get less eps (and less points in AAR) but more OA.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Acolyte

Hi WolfOverclocked

Thanks for all the effort you put into making this really detailed guide, had a great time levelling all the other classes but struggled with Arcanist then found your build and went with it, gave me hope for the Arcanist class - fun and so far so good. I had followed your other thread when it was just pure Arcanist so I already have quite a few points in Callidor's etc but now seeing these other variations I am keen to transition into Demo..

So my question is this, would you perhaps please consider adding a levelling section in your guide ie: general point allocation guideline. I have found with most builds on these forums they never include a levelling section and sure I can think for myself, but as it stands I have full mastery points in Arcanist but 1 pointed Aether Ray - do I max Aether Ray before going all the way to Cannister Bombs in Demo or go straight into Demo? Do I need the stun utility or higher damage more while levelling because clearly one one or the other is possible until max level..

For all I know the easiest levelling could even have been to start as Demo.. just saying I suppose that depends on whether I have twink gear in the stash.

Edit : Is flat Aether damage on gear beneficial at all? Such as the warped affix? Reason I am asking is because for ring recommendation (given that I havent found an Aetherlord's Signet) you recommend the Devil's Crossing ring, which has flat Aether dmg + %Aether dmg.... But the Rhowari Wrath Seal (Rovers Honored) looks better? Or is the cast speed on the Devils Crossing rings tipping the scales?

Just for your convenience a rough average comparison (bear in mind the stats change up vendor reset) :

Devil's Wrath Seal (Devils Crossing Honored) :
7 Aether dmg
+38% Aether dmg
Increase Energy regen by 12%
4% Attack speed
5% Cast speed
9% dmg reflected

-vs-

Rhowari Wrath Seal (Rovers Honored) :
30 Energy leech over 3 sec
+38% Aether dmg
+16% Elemental dmg