Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old 08-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Praetorian

From small bits said in the ign article I got the feeling they are after PoE model.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dragon View Post
From small bits said in the ign article I got the feeling they are after PoE model.
I have to agree, be to be honest, I don't know if I will play it. I stopped playing POE a long time ago, and don't think I'm going back to it. The sounds of the game doesn't really impress me, but will keep an eye on it.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 08-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Herald

Quote:
As for any concerns about how a games as a service model might affect the loot economy, he assures us the team is dedicated to preserving that vital classic element of the Torchlight experience. “We know, for example, we won’t have an auction house,” he says. “We’ve identified that one of the core things that makes Torchlight fun is this loot hunt.
There are two important things not mentioned. Economy and crafting. It has to be compared to POE sure, well, POE unstructured economic simulator is something people disliked the most. But one thing that game did right is crafting, if not the currency pathetic drop rate. So, what are players supposed to do with all the exalted grade embers?

Loot hunting in Torchlight, what is that supposed to be?

Single player build theorycrafting I think it was fun for two months, then turned a strange exercise in math, mostly due to shallow itemisation. Then you ran out of interesting ideas. Too few affixes for rares, fewer of them actually useful, the game had problems with that. 95% rare affixes useless, 95% uniques garbage. You only had to buy or drop rares and gamble or drop uniques from remaining 5%, all of that mostly trivial, the only challenging thing was socketables.

It only turned fun and engaging and more challenging in MP self-found. Like when you need to complete a sentinel set for yourself before going to the next NG cycle. Mostly with hp and cast speed. Borris and socket it as possible. All during multiplayer game with only so much time for farming planned.

Is it going to attempt in-depth customisation like GD and POE do or stay more casual like previous Torchlight games, just this time in always online setting?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Praetorian

if they do in fact follow a model similar to that of POE, I'll certainly give it a try
I'm not completely on board for the MMO idea though, TL2 was a great game because of, like others here have already said, the mods
an MMO like that will likely not have mod support
having been on the synergies dev team and having viewed this as the best alternative to D3 at the time, I really have to give it a chance!

- Ulgrim
Old 08-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Praetorian

I had the privilege of playing with Torchlight's old team when I was beta testing it. Including Max and Matt (honestly it was playing with Matt that made me get the fanboy jitters, but he was super down to earth).

Tiny bit of proof:
http://tidbi.ru/eng/item.php?item=hammer_u04d
http://tidbi.ru/eng/item.php?item=wa...06_boots_alt_c
https://imgur.com/a/uvTmO6H

Apparently they rebuilt the forum and auto censored my old cringey forum signature. That's a damn shame.

I was super worried that they partnered up with Perfect World but apparently it let them get done what they needed to. The team poured a lot of love into the game and did their best to really mull over feedback. Honestly I saw this coming.

For TL2 Perfect World took a very "hands off" approach but I'm worried that them closing the studio and Max opening a new one means they renegotiated and are more "hands on" this time around.

I'll give it a try because I have much love for the old community and devs, but my hopes aren't high. *edit* Man the nostalgia is real. My fondest memories are when almost every single dev joined my game in beta simultaneously and we had fun but also had a laugh when we realized multiplayer needed to be harder, when I convinced them to add the "toggle-helmet" feature (I want it in GD too but it especially made sense in TL2 because if they're going to let us customize our avatar's appearance we may as well be able to see it), and finding a game breakingingly OP build.

# of level 100 characters I have atm: 102

Last edited by adoomgod; 08-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dragon View Post
I fear it might actually be late D3, not POE even, free to play or not.

Quote:
An action RPG really refers to a kind of a pace and feeling of combat,” Schaefer says. “There’s more emphasis given on the feeling of throwing a fireball and the feeling of that fireball hitting a monster, and it’s less about watching your cooldown timers and timing your hits after you’ve engaged attack mode. It’s just a way of interacting with the world and the monsters that’s a little more direct and a little more visceral.
A notable portion of Torchlight players were kids, if they are meant to be target audience again that means

"WOOOOOO FEELS GOOD HITTING GROUND WITH A WRENCH INSTAWIPING WHOLE SCREEN"

More emphasis on smacking mobs indeed. Less emphasis on skill system, affix pool etc boring things target audience does not give a fuck about. Not good for local audience.

Last edited by mammothhunter; 08-10-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Praetorian

If it's a pretend MMO like PoE, big pass. Last thing i want to play is a MMO with none of the upsides and with all of the downsides.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:13 AM
Supporter

- shared, persistent world,
ACK

- predominantly procedurally generated,
ACK!!

- heavy on Pets and Coop,

That's a pass from me.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Herald

We will see the game at gamescom and pax west!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/to...-pax-west-2018
Old 08-12-2018, 05:55 PM
Speaker

If your wondering what kind of mmo it will be, then It will no doubt be something similar to Runics old vision of a party based dungeon crawler. Which was later put into development after some of runic team split up and then went on to make a game called Mythos. Some of the art on the teaser even looks like Mythos art.

Lets hope they dont make you buy extra looting bags on the cash shop >_>