Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old 03-14-2018, 01:29 AM
Herald

Default Rebel Galaxy 80% off for the next 15 hours

http://store.steampowered.com/app/290300/Rebel_Galaxy/

I didn't expect much from this game. It looked cool and had a cool soundtrack (reminded me of Firefly) but it was an indie game that I bought for $4 during one of the seasonal sales last year. I think I've sunk an easy 30 hours into the game and I keep going back for more.

To those who care, the game was made by Double Damage games which was founded by the original founder of Runic Games - the same guys who gave us Torchlight and Hob.

You basically fly around in a spaceship helping people out, mining for ores to sell, destroying anything in your way (yes you can even kill the good guys), and upgrading your ship. You can upgrade many facets of your ship, but combat consists primarily of old ocean navy-style combat using broadside cannons/lasers and turrets (or whatever you want to put in your turret slots like missiles, spread missiles, flak cannons, etc.). This game costs less than a Big Mac.

Last edited by Stg; 03-14-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:33 AM
Campaigner

My only complaint with this game has nothing to do with the game itself. My complaint is that it wasn't designed to be easily moddable. So much potential to be had.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:56 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
My only complaint with this game has nothing to do with the game itself. My complaint is that it wasn't designed to be easily moddable. So much potential to be had.
The developers state their next game they are making right now will be accessible to mods. A lot of people wanted to mod Rebel Galaxy but I guess it just wasn't in the cards. That being said, there could have been SO MUCH MORE if mods could get involved. Still, there's nothing more fun than getting the jump drive and heading out to the far sectors to search for debris piles and finding special containers, then going back to the starting sectors with a Frigate or Capital class ship with MK6 cannons. Or going back with a Dreadnaught class with full turrets (16 total I think) and letting the enemy ships destroy themselves trying to get to you.

Oh, just a little starter tip to anyone who buys this game. Jumping from one sector to the next RESETS ALL DEBRIS FIELDS - meaning you can farm special containers for high-end weapons, shields, hull plating, turrets, etc. and either sell them for millions of credits or install them on your ship. Also, buying and selling in this game is a 1:1 ratio. You'll never lose profit on anything - even ships. You can buy it, try it out, and if you don't like it, just sell it back for the same price you bought it for.

Last edited by Stg; 03-14-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:22 AM
Counsel

Fantastic space game imo
Old 03-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Praetorian

I honestly need to get back into this game sometime again. Just the entire vibe of the game is 50 kinds of awesome.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Herald

Do try to equip your dreadnaught with nothing but mining lasers, they're surprisingly effective. Or fly a tiny frigate in the last few missions, you can actually hide in the blind spots of enemy capital ships and slowly whittle them down.

This is also one of those rare games I managed to get 100% achievements on.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Herald

Viridian Lasers are far more powerful because the mining lasers have very low range, though they do have amazing armor penetration. Still, once you reach a Dreadnaught, it doesn't really matter what turrets you use - you're not going to die.