Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 PM
Advocate

Angry holy crap, idiots reporting on cts-labs vs amd

here's what's happened:

some entirely unknown firm cts-labs claims to have found flaws in amd architecture. they have a website, a youtube video with greenscreen-offices made up from stock images and a whitepaper without proof-of-concepts, i.e. without any details to verify or reproduce attacks enabled by said flaws and - cherry on top - they informed amd yesterday.

so what are news/tech-sites reporting? naturally that security researchers (!) - noone knows any of 'em - found flaws! it's fucking outrageous. i can just pick some idiot at random, let's take wired: the bloody wanker insinuates that one flaw is actually a real bug because it "allow[s] them to run their own code on those secure processors" - make sure to sit down and clear your desk for impact - "IF A HACKER HAS ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVILEGES ON A TARGET MACHINE"! (highlight by me). "debugging backdoor" my ass.

i want to jump someone in the face. IF YOU HAVE ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVILEGES THE MACHINE IS DONE FOR. NOTHING, I REPEAT, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT HAPPENS AFTER IS PROOF OF A SECURITY FLAW OR BUG. holy shit, i can't believe this. someone tell me i'm overreacting.

edit: it just gets better and better, said "real bug" allows to circumvent secure boot - uefi secure boot - the absolute last bastion of hope for security, that totally put people everywhere at ease and absolutely prevented work on a as-much-as-possible replacement for uefi, nerf is not a thing.

Last edited by durruti; 03-13-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 PM
Praetorian

Pretty much all computer mags are sheep, there is exactly one magazine I trust to know what they are doing rather than just rephrasing press releases.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:46 PM
Advocate

but they present all the things that are wrong with cts-labs while happily claiming the vulnerabilities are real! i'm sure that's not how human brains can be trained to work, what year is it?

Last edited by durruti; 03-13-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by durruti View Post
i'm sure that's not how human brains can be trained to work, what year is it?
It's 2018, in which fake news is endemic, as it has been for the last couple of years. If this has taught us anything it's that people are far more gullible than we like to think.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:44 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyctes View Post
It's 2018, in which fake news is endemic, as it has been for the last couple of years. If this has taught us anything it's that people are far more gullible than we like to think.

I don't understand the concept behind "fake news" in the 90's we called it just "journalism"
Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by They Live View Post
I don't understand the concept behind "fake news" in the 90's we called it just "journalism"
i need you to take me back then with your delorean to show me, gramps.

dammit, i want to be wrong here. i want this to be fair and well researched journalism. someone convince me pretty please.

they must be security researchers, THEY HAVE A WEBSITE !!!!!11!11!1eleven

Last edited by durruti; 03-13-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:07 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by durruti View Post
i need you to take me back then with your delorean to show me, gramps.

dammit, i want to be wrong here. i want this to be fair and well researched journalism. someone convince me pretty please.

they must be security researchers, THEY HAVE A WEBSITE !!!!!11!11!1eleven

The fact i'm living these years excludes the possibility that i have a delorean. Not one with a working flux capacitator, that's for sure.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 AM
Herald

Yeah fuck modern journalism, of all sorts. It's all gone to hell for a myriad of reasons.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:25 AM
Counsel

Is it so hard for people to teach themselves some CS and math when knowledge becomes so accessible in the 21st century?

It's just so ridiculous for Elon to cry for regulation on ai when anyone who knows a tiny bit of modern nn knows how brittle the architecture really is.

But, isn't the purpose of media is to blind the weak and uneducated in the first place?----nothing so surprising after all.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:29 AM
Praetorian

I wanted to buy a Ryzen in the future because I dislike Intel as of late...wtf Is it all BS or not

Last edited by Superfluff; 03-14-2018 at 07:31 AM.