Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Old 12-08-2017, 02:37 AM
Herald

Default Mythical Relics and Sets with Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathema2741 View Post
If you play ranged, you already have a relic. It's called Ulzuin's Pyroclasm. Nobody says you have to play ranged with Demolitionist. I have a melee Fire Strike Commando and it's a lot of fun.

He also uses Ulzuin's Pyroclasm because it's just plain better, but that's another issue.
I'm not saying make it range-only, just don't limit the granted skill to melee. Pyroclasm is level 60 so instead of leaving those players behind 61-100 let's make a simple change that opens up the relic to everyone else especially given the mastery is at least majority range based.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 AM
Counsel

It's not a simple change though. It's like a fire version of Blitz, and just like Blitz, it can't work with a ranged weapon. What are you going to slam them with? The butt of your pistol? The relic would have to be fundamentally redesigned around a different skill. I know there was a topic here in the past about what would happen if Blitz was opened up to ranged weapons, and it just ended up being that the character would rush into gun range and then stop.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I'm not saying make it range-only, just don't limit the granted skill to melee. Pyroclasm is level 60 so instead of leaving those players behind 61-100 let's make a simple change that opens up the relic to everyone else especially given the mastery is at least majority range based.
Blitz and SS cannot be used with ranged weapons, it's limitation of the skill template. Someone tried and it in modding and it wasn't successful. I don't remember what the results were so don't take my word for it

And Demo is as much a melee mastery as it is a ranged one.

OT i know but Annihilation could use some buffs to its stats - http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64738

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by WareBare View Post
Grim Dawn End Game Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Houck View Post
Nydiamar Mod
Old 12-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
Blitz and SS cannot be used with ranged weapons, it's limitation of the skill template. Someone tried and it in modding and it wasn't successful. I don't remember what the results were so don't take my word for it
Ceno himself did.

This forum is peaceful, its inhabitants kind

Howdy! Ulgrim, are you there? It's me, your best friend.

Traversing the Void? 'Tis but a fairy tale.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dragon View Post
Hmm, tbh on most builds we basically use SS and Blitz for movement. I wouldn't mind this

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by WareBare View Post
Grim Dawn End Game Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Houck View Post
Nydiamar Mod
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Hmm, tbh on most builds we basically use SS and Blitz for movement. I wouldn't mind this
For ranged builds I'd rather choose being pushed backwards, similar to Hurricane Pike in Dota, and rely just on movespeed to travel.

This forum is peaceful, its inhabitants kind

Howdy! Ulgrim, are you there? It's me, your best friend.

Traversing the Void? 'Tis but a fairy tale.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:10 AM
Herald

Quote:

And Demo is as much a melee mastery as it is a ranged one.

OT i know but Annihilation could use some buffs to its stats - http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64738
Agree to disagree then, I see half a dozen ranged skills and 1 melee that is only melee due to a transmute but let's say you're right for a second. Given that classes get ONE relic from 61-100, I think we shouldn't put skills on them that half or less of the users of the class can take advantage of. I'm not saying get rid of the skill altogether but put it on a melee weapon (there's a Fire Strike based sword I can think of) and put a more universal proc on the relic.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:01 AM
Counsel

That's strange. I see one skill that's equally melee and ranged and a whole bunch of casted skills that are neither melee or ranged. And what's with the arbitrary 61-100 category? The top tier of relics is level 60 and up. Level 70 and level 90 relics are not necessarily going to be better than the level 60 relics BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL THE SAME TIER. Also, Demolitionists get THREE relics in that tier, not two. One melee, one casted, and one for everyone. Crate has covered the range of build possibilities quite well (whether or not the relics themselves are good or not is another matter though). The purpose of Korvaak's Deception is to fill a previously empty niche, not to give you a ranged upgrade. Face it, this isn't a matter of agreeing to disagree. You're just wrong.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:25 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathema2741 View Post
That's strange. I see one skill that's equally melee and ranged and a whole bunch of casted skills that are neither melee or ranged. And what's with the arbitrary 61-100 category? The top tier of relics is level 60 and up. Level 70 and level 90 relics are not necessarily going to be better than the level 60 relics BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL THE SAME TIER. Also, Demolitionists get THREE relics in that tier, not two. One melee, one casted, and one for everyone. Crate has covered the range of build possibilities quite well (whether or not the relics themselves are good or not is another matter though). The purpose of Korvaak's Deception is to fill a previously empty niche, not to give you a ranged upgrade. Face it, this isn't a matter of agreeing to disagree. You're just wrong.
I forgot about the level 70 tier, mostly because Annihilation is bad, but you can argue ALL ranged skills don't matter if you're melee or ranged, they're still ranged casted skills (CT being a melee casted skill for Arcanist for example). You're free to argue FS is equally both but I personally think that's a stretch (FS appears on 4 endgame armor sets, all ranged), but that's irrelevant to my main point, just trying to make a relic skill more universal as ranged builds are using the relic regardless because there isn't one better.

Can you link your source on the 60-70-90 relics being in the same "tier" whatever that means? I look at Vengeance -> Ignaffar's Combustion for Inquis's and I see a pretty clear jump in stat budget.

Last edited by Marcus; 12-10-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:44 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Can you link your source on the 60-70-90 relics being in the same "tier" whatever that means? I look at Vengeance -> Ignaffar's Combustion for Inquis's and I see a pretty clear jump in stat budget.
All Mythical Relics are supposed to be roughly equal in power, albeit perhaps with minor improvements at higher levels, but nothing so substantial as to universally be preferable over lower-level counterparts.

18-25 = Same-power(ish) Empowered Relics
35-50 = Same power(ish) Transcendant Relics
60-90 = Same power(ish) Mythical Relics