Old 12-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Speaker

Default What a game!

Iím completely new to Grim Dawn and not a veteran of ARPGs and Iím enjoying the game a lot. I like the complexity and variability of character development; and I like the world. And I like the story and the lore embedded in the world Ė or at least what little of it I have experienced so far. I only have 30 hours in the game; so itís very early days.
It turns out Iím playing veteran & hardcore. My first character was a soldier. He was doing fine up to level 22; and then he met Mr Salazar. Iím sure you all know how that went. So my soldier is now RIP. But I learned a lot in those 22 levels.
Anyway Ė great game; thank you Arthur and all at Crate
Old 12-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it and you'll enjoy it even more as you get deeper into the game as a whole. I would advise not going hardcore though or even veteran if you've never played an ARPG before. If you have some experience with the genre then veteran is possible, but I'd leave hardcore until you've gone through the game at least once and know what sort of problems you're going to run into. Also depends on how frustrated you might get to lose a high level toon in hardcore.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:30 PM
Herald

Yeah game is fairly decent, i spent few hours on it.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:05 PM
Supporter

Hear hear!

Hands down one of the best games released the last few years. Lots of diversity with builds, items and whatnot. I can see this lasting for many years to come.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:42 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea fleecestealer View Post
Glad to hear it and you'll enjoy it even more as you get deeper into the game as a whole. I would advise not going hardcore though or even veteran if you've never played an ARPG before. If you have some experience with the genre then veteran is possible, but I'd leave hardcore until you've gone through the game at least once and know what sort of problems you're going to run into. Also depends on how frustrated you might get to lose a high level toon in hardcore.
I know it doesn't make sense to play hardcore before you know the game and know what to expect and how to counter it - but somehow I have to. I dont know why.
It started with Skyrim. Every Time I died I lost interest in my character and started over.

I went back to Salazar a few times and got nowhere with him. My usual attacks and tactics which managed everything else up to that point barely scratch him.
He quickly strips me down and bam!

If anyone wants to have a look at my soldier and make any suggestions here is the grimtools link

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNk1k4RV
Old 12-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athis View Post

I went back to Salazar a few times and got nowhere with him. My usual attacks and tactics which managed everything else up to that point barely scratch him.
Come back later and do him once you've hardened up. He's kind of out of sync with the ramp of difficult due to how the game developed. (disclaimer: maybe my info is out of date and he got a tuning pass and i missed it)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
I know it doesn't make sense to play hardcore before you know the game and know what to expect and how to counter it - but somehow I have to. I dont know why.
It started with Skyrim. Every Time I died I lost interest in my character and started over.

If anyone wants to have a look at my soldier and make any suggestions here is the grimtools link

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNk1k4RV

Hey,

DiD in Skyrim is different because the game is not as complex in terms of damage output and mitigation. You will die many times over in GD if you don't try the game at least once in SC, Unless you just want to complete Veteran only, in which case it's totally doable

also Rush Deadly momentum and Bulwark asap, you will really feel it in terms of offense and defense.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooN TreeS View Post
Come back later and do him once you've hardened up. He's kind of out of sync with the ramp of difficult due to how the game developed. (disclaimer: maybe my info is out of date and he got a tuning pass and i missed it)
Yes he does seem to be very out of sync; but the game did warn me - so my own fault.
I'm looking at Forgotten Kane's guide and he advises not to take on Salazar in hardcore...

"Salazar...does tons of chaos and vitality damage"

I had very little chaos and zero vitality resistance.
He also warns about Gutworm. So rather than run into these enemies unknowingly I will read his guide as I go along
If I enter Smuggler's Basin can I leave without killing Gutworm; or do I get locked in?
I would have retreated from Salazar but I was locked into his cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
Hey,

DiD in Skyrim is different because the game is not as complex in terms of damage output and mitigation. You will die many times over in GD if you don't try the game at least once in SC, Unless you just want to complete Veteran only, in which case it's totally doable

also Rush Deadly momentum and Bulwark asap, you will really feel it in terms of offense and defense.
Yes Skyrim is not nearly so complex as GD; but if you dont know what you are doing and how to build your character you can get killed easy enough.
I had a lot of deaths when I first started playing.
Those skills look good alright. At level 11 my second character already has more health than the first one had at level 22.
I like the edginess of hardcore. Knowing you have to pay attention and not rush into things. But technically I'm playing softcore; it's just I know that if he dies I wont play him any more. I still have my first character. I may delete him later but for now he's there in memoriam.
This game should come with a health warning - it's addictive
Old 12-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Yes he does seem to be very out of sync; but the game did warn me - so my own fault.
I'm looking at Forgotten Kane's guide and he advises not to take on Salazar in hardcore...
depending on your build you can take him on early, but you should know what you are doing. The first time encounter probably does not go well for a HC char

Quote:
He also warns about Gutworm.
Gutworm lives in a cave that spawns randomly in a location in Burrwitch Outskirts (I believe), he is easier in that you can always run away during the fight and keep your distance. You are not locked in.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

You have no idea! One of our Praetorians (playtesters) has over 10,000 hours in the game.