Old 01-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Lord Advocate

Default RPS: Grim Dawn review

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...m-dawn-review/

To sum it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS
To put all this rather more simply, Grim Dawnís the action RPG Iíve enjoyed most in quite some time
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS
I do think itís a truer heir to Diablo 1&2 than any of its recent rivals and in doing so itís very adeptly filling a vacuum in our gaming lives.
Making quite the impression it seems!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Counsel

Thanks for the link, nice review overall. Some criticism of the, what the reviewer calls "forgettable" monsters that feel like they flowed off the Fantasy Monster Assembly line. I don't agree with this. I like my spiders and zombies and I have no problem with the fact they are in most arpg's, they're just fun. He also felt the quest system was messy. I know there is more coming here so I think this is just an alpha thing.

Congrats Crate you are making an impression.

I liked these quotes too:

Quote:
the attention to detail is here, and it makes me feel enough like I’m in a place rather than on a numbers hunt.
Quote:
it’s one of the slicker, more complete feeling Early Access game I’ve played
Quote:
It’s the combat and the skill tree that the Grim Dawn’s most grabbed me and refused to let me go, to the point that this piece is running two days later than intended due to the cheerful curse of Just One More Go.
CROWD: A witch! We've got a witch VILLAGER: We've found a witch, might we burn her? BEDEMIR: How do you know she is a witch? VILLAGER: She looks like one. BEDEMIR: Bring her forward. WITCH: I'm not a witch. BEDEMIR: But you are dressed as one. WITCH: They dressed me up like this. CROWD: No, we didn't. WITCH: And this isn't my nose, it's a false one. BEDEMIR: Well? VILLAGER: Well, we did do the nose.BEDEMIR: The nose? VILLAGER: And the hat, but she is a witch!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Praetorian

On some things I agree, but others he's plain wrong. Details such as dual mastery unlocking at lvl 12 while its at 10.

Opponents being blend. Well in some cases I agree like the overseers/corruptions. But in general you come across more different opponents then in most other games of this type. However they come in groups consisting of each type at once that makes battles challenging at times. But if you get a weak combo it is less challenging obviously.

Blocked, bearily able to navigate through passages, in order to complete quests. Haven't experienced that at all. Well only with the passages at the Hollowed Hill, but other then that not a single time. Quests don't feel chaotic either to me.

Being able to have a mix of skills to build what you like instead of going for an optimal build is...well normal. That is what normal difficulty is about. Just wait till we get Epic and Legendary. Then you'll get stuck if you fuck up your build and have to restart :P

Quote:
Also, the Great Hunt that characterises aRPGs is now focused more on finding specific components than it is on praying for a random weapon to drop with roughly the right stats. Itís a minor deviation from the genre norm, but a meaningful one, enough to give what is, at its heart, the same experience weíve had since the mid-1990s, a slightly different feel that doesnít stem from graphics or cutscenes or auction houses.
Once you hit Legendary I'm sure it'll be "praying on a random drop with the right stats" + finding the right socket component.

Funny to read some of the replies. Such as DaltonKallondor talking about the TQ formula being messed up. And then mentioning stuff that Grim Dawn does EXACTELY like TQ. Makes me wonder if some people even know what they're talking about. Even funnier that Van Hellsing is often used as a positive example o.O

https://www.twitch.tv/Giblix
Old 01-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Praetorian

good review and nice to know that the game is holding it's own against many other ARPGs, then again, I think things will get better once we have more content in, for the most part, a good review!

edit

some of the comments, lol,

Quote:
They’ve really screwed up the Titan Quest formula somehow – I can’t figure out what went wrong. It’s a dreary ugly mess of a game, and the defining feature of Titan Quest – a smart approach to UI and game design that eliminates the drudgework of aRPGs (respecs, shared stash, automatic item quality filter, no tp scrolls, no identify scrolls, etc.) is basically absent completely. Design wise it’s Titan Quest on a smaller budget. Art wise it’s a far, far uglier Titan Quest.
not sure if this person has played TQ, as TQ had no TP scrolls, can't remember if it had identity scrolls, but I dont think it did, guess he not played GD that much as there is a repsec and share stash.

seems a few are commenting on the graphics and art style, but the game is meant to be dark and gritty, at least the first act, I guess they don't realise that. so yeah, some funny comments, don't really agree with a lot of them.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success

Last edited by matthewfarmery; 01-17-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Glad they posted a positive review, but those freaking screenshots scare me as "bad for business". WTF kind of messed up computer/settings did they use for such horrid looking screenshots?
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaco View Post
Glad they posted a positive review, but those freaking screenshots scare me as "bad for business". WTF kind of messed up computer/settings did they use for such horrid looking screenshots?
Yeah, and I just read the comments section and a lot of people were harping about the graphics looking muddy. It looks like old Commodore 64 graphics, like 640 x 480 or something.

Funny reading all the D3 fanboys comments though. I didn't even take them seriously. Other thing was, unlike Gilby, no one in the comments bothered to point out the dual class option was level 10 not 12. I doubt many of them have played the game at all or for any length of time.
CROWD: A witch! We've got a witch VILLAGER: We've found a witch, might we burn her? BEDEMIR: How do you know she is a witch? VILLAGER: She looks like one. BEDEMIR: Bring her forward. WITCH: I'm not a witch. BEDEMIR: But you are dressed as one. WITCH: They dressed me up like this. CROWD: No, we didn't. WITCH: And this isn't my nose, it's a false one. BEDEMIR: Well? VILLAGER: Well, we did do the nose.BEDEMIR: The nose? VILLAGER: And the hat, but she is a witch!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Praetorian

yeah they could have posted better screenshots, and yeah, I doubt many of the commentators have really played GD for a serious length of time, probably fanboys of D3 and TL2 and just giving GD a bashing for the hell of it.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Champion

Fair review overall, but why the 620x3xx screenshots? I thought they would link to a proper picture and all.

On the comments, well....

Quote:
DatonKallandor says:

Theyíve really screwed up the Titan Quest formula somehow Ė I canít figure out what went wrong. Itís a dreary ugly mess of a game, and the defining feature of Titan Quest Ė a smart approach to UI and game design that eliminates the drudgework of aRPGs (respecs, shared stash, automatic item quality filter, no tp scrolls, no identify scrolls, etc.) is basically absent completely. Design wise itís Titan Quest on a smaller budget. Art wise itís a far, far uglier Titan Quest.

Itís not the followup to Titan Quest it was supposed to be (Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing carries on the TQ tradition of UI and design advancement) and thatís sad.
From an older RPS report.

Quote:
DatonKallandor says:

The devs let themselves get held hostage by a vocal minority of hardcore fans. Crate Entertainment listens WAY too much to their forums. They had to fucking ASK if they were allowed to let gold be autopickup when you run over it. Those insane forumites are the reason potions arenít auto pickup, destructibles arenít highlighted and a host of other terrible ďhardcoreĒ hack and slash RPG sins are in Grim Dawn Ė ironic considering Titan Quests greatest achievement is doing away with the busywork like identification and town portal scrolls and inventory tetris.
Who is DatonKallandor? And why hasn't he played either game? Oh the mystery...
Old 01-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomspawn View Post
Fair review overall, but why the 620x3xx screenshots? I thought they would link to a proper picture and all.

On the comments, well....

From an older RPS report.

Who is DatonKallandor? And why hasn't he played either game? Oh the mystery...
He sounds like a guy who posts on the rpgcodex...probably not him but could be. He (if it's the same dude) also posted here a while back basically saying some really inflammatory stuff which medierra replied to in a direct manner. The dude apologized and ran off, but still acts like somehow the forum members here are ****ing up the game and Crate is at our beckon call or something. The guy is def sour lol.

Anyways the RPS was really good IMO. I don't agree with all his criticisms even so it pretty fair and balanced.

Last edited by Renevent; 01-17-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renevent View Post
Anyways the RPS was really good IMO. I don't agree with all his criticisms even so it pretty fair and balanced.
One point that I find highly debatable is the enemies design/descriptions or as the reviewer puts it "Fantasy Action Game production line".

Well, I think the production line is there for a reason.

-You need spiders for the mild arachnophobia (Thief I spiders were the worst kind)
-You need worms/vermin for the disgust/swarming (Blood 2 leeches blehhhhhh)
-You need human-like opponents or of familiar anatomy (limbs/faces/skin/bones or lack/perversion of said features)
-You need something to which you can relate to, from real life experience, so as to spark an emotion from the player's side.

So for me creature/character design is a matter of symbolisms. In all mythologies or fiction, some common ground exists.

I can't really understand what the reviewer is suggesting here.
Closed Thread

Tags
press