Old 12-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Yeah, I think this is how we might do it. If you still have to collect some scrap and iron, so it is obvious that it isn't intended to be an alternate intro-experience, then we can just start it out at a higher level and it alleviates that scaling issue.
+1 to this.

I think this would help to keep all parties happy (even though you can't please everybody all the time...).
Old 12-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Yeah, I think this is how we might do it. If you still have to collect some scrap and iron, so it is obvious that it isn't intended to be an alternate intro-experience, then we can just start it out at a higher level and it alleviates that scaling issue.
I also think this is a cool solution. At the start of the new character the progression is relatively linear but once you have the resources that opens up more options when it comes to controlling the flow of the game when it comes to quests/exploration.

I would think that the quests would need to be tweaked to allow that option of your character venturing forth to Act 2 when Act 1 isn't completed and the Warden is still at large.

Perhaps have an NPC near the construction site/bridge in which after talking to him he will refer you to Captain Bourbon who states something like "Ah, I see you are interested in the broken bridges" and then he'll give you the reason as to why they were broken but at the moment there is need to fix them for more supplies in which case you can choose to repair the bridge or continue on in Act 1 as there are enough supplies at the moment for those at the prison.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Champion

Burrwitch is reached @lvl 13 give or take a level or two. Captain John Bourbon seems pleased with the progress, establishing a strong foothold in the region and all that. For me that would be a nice time to be able to fix the bridges, because a)it fits with the story. People now trust you, and the bridges burned down to cover the rear can now be repaired because "you", the valuable asset of the community have proved to be a formidable force.
b)Lvl 13 isn't dead low, but it's not far from a normal/casual lvl15 Warden rush.

So, I don't have the slightest idea on how scaling works, but it seems reasonable and logical not to be able to repair the bridges without having at least completed "Helping out" or being reputable (If there were reputation only quests, I'd go with that as well)
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomspawn View Post
Burrwitch is reached @lvl 13 give or take a level or two. Captain John Bourbon seems pleased with the progress, establishing a strong foothold in the region and all that. For me that would be a nice time to be able to fix the bridges, because a)it fits with the story. People now trust you, and the bridges burned down to cover the rear can now be repaired because "you", the valuable asset of the community have proved to be a formidable force.
b)Lvl 13 isn't dead low, but it's not far from a normal/casual lvl15 Warden rush.

So, I don't have the slightest idea on how scaling works, but it seems reasonable and logical not to be able to repair the bridges without having at least completed "Helping out" or being reputable (If there were reputation only quests, I'd go with that as well)
I think the option to build the bridge should be entirely based on the resources of Scrap Material and Iron Bits. This way going through Act 1 will first be a introduction to the game in which you can go to "act 2" when you have the necessary materials. Playing the next difficulty or starting a new character you'll most likely know what you are doing by that time in which going straight to Act 2 would then work (though transferring iron bits/scrap material may be harder - though still possible by selling green/blue items for iron bits/scrap or farming Wightmire a few times for scrap).

Again quests would need to be looked at but in the end it can make sense:

1: Prove yourself to the survivors by stopping the undead menace (act 1).

2: Prove yourself to the survivors by seeking more resources and scout out the area that is controlled by the outlaws while destroying any threat that may be out there (act 2).

So starting a brand new character it will take longer to get access to act 2 due to 0 scrap/iron bits. Starting the next difficulty or a new character will give you more options when it comes to accessing the act 2 area.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 AM
Counsel

Two things:

a) Medierra, thank you for your stirring and articulate defense of quest markers I'm a quest marker fan myself (within reason! glowing trails are just silly), and have just been wading through debate on this over on the Elder Scrolls Online forums The anti-quest-marker crowd can get pretty rabid.

b) I'm also in favor of opening up multiple paths asap... one of the first things I read about Grim Dawn, and what got me the most excited about it, was that you wanted to make an "open world ARPG", and to me what "open world" means is exactly that: choose your path through the world, so that in every playthrough you can do things in a different order. I fully understand that that goes hand in hand with enemy leveling, which is why I have never joined the hordes who decry that mechanic
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Champion

Well I wouldn't mind twinking scrap (if it was possible) and some iron in form of items to be able to go west before I've landed hit #1, but plotwise it wouldn't make sense. Plus I can't really tell if I want really heavy resistance after the bridge or a more manageable (scaling) experience. Heavy resistance would make the player think: hey that bourbon didn't burn down the bridge for fun. But even with scaling 5-18 would be a tad different than 13-18.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMasked View Post
1: Prove yourself to the survivors by stopping the undead menace (act 1).
Which reminds me that the menace isn't really stopped because there are just as many undead spawning in that area. Prove your good intentions to the survivors would be more appropriate.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Praetorian

Quest wise you could combine it with the reputation system. Get high with those drifters that you save in one of those caves. They'll tell others and before you know it there is a small force that can secure the exit of the Flooded Passage. That way Devils Crossing can rest assured that the bottleneck is secured and guarded while the hero goes off to act 2 content.

https://www.twitch.tv/Giblix
Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewfarmery View Post
really sad that quest markers will be in the game,

matty cries
can't they just make those optional ? Like you can switch em off if you want?

Not a major issue to me, just saying ...
Closed Thread

Tags
exploration, press, quests, user interface