Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Lord Advocate

Default Gamespy shutting down

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1227460p1.html

Personally a bit bummed by this news. I read them almost every day for years. While I enjoyed reading them all this time, the last couple years I really thought they kicked their reporting up a few notches. They were doing some really excellent stories and some of their new columns were great.

For instance, their "Port Authority" column was a honest look at the quality of big release ports. They looked and listed all the in game options, how well they worked, how well/smooth the game played, and did a great job of letting us consumers know what to expect from cross-platform games.

The reporting they did on certain stories was also excellent. Their interview with the WarZ dude was really good. They spared no punches and even when that guy tried to give them BS continued to pursue those questions and provide counters to his baloney.

Anyways I believe some of the gamespy staff will be absorbed by IGN (yuck!) and others going elsewhere. Stinks though, as I feel in the last couple years they became one of the more informative and fair minded PC gaming site out there.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Praetorian

IGN is the devil. Had a run in with them over 10 years ago with a site I used to work for that they essentially "stole" from the previous owner. I've tried to stay away from any IGN site after that incident.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
IGN is the devil. Had a run in with them over 10 years ago with a site I used to work for that they essentially "stole" from the previous owner. I've tried to stay away from any IGN site after that incident.
I read IGN for news. No longer I take their ratings serious.

IGN gave Diablo 3 a 9.5 rating. LOL!
They will probably give Diablo 3 on consoles a 10 rating.
– Max Payne
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Lord Advocate

Gamespy is owned by IGN (which is in turn by Ziff, who is owned by some other conglomerate lol)...but the sites themselves are run by different editors so the articles and reviews on gamespy are a lot different.

For instance, they gave Diablo 3 a 4/5 which is I guess a 80%.

Last edited by Renevent; 02-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Lord Advocate

The only thing I know about GameSpy is that GameSpy Arcade thingy, that software you were required to install and register an account for, in order to play some games online.

I was not exactly a fan of that one.

What will happen to games that required it? Multiplayer dead and gone forever?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Lord Advocate

That was the old school version (although it still exists)...but gamespy actually hosted lots of game's online matchmaking systems.

For instance, Titan Quest uses gamespy for it's matchmaking

As far as that service, not sure, didn't say. I think it will probably stay though and the closure will probably just be for the news/review site.

Last edited by Renevent; 02-22-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooby View Post
The only thing I know about GameSpy is that GameSpy Arcade thingy, that software you were required to install and register an account for, in order to play some games online.

I was not exactly a fan of that one.

What will happen to games that required it? Multiplayer dead and gone forever?
Gamespy, the matchmaking software, was sold off by Gamespy (the website) owners years ago. The two have absolutely no affiliation with one another. And no, the new software owners aren't any better about it. Worse in fact.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Praetorian

I held no love for Gamespy when they bought up MPlay.com almost 2 decades ago. I never supported Gamespy and rarely to never visited their site. Same for IGN. Only go there if there is no other alternative.
Closed Thread

Tags
press