Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Developer Discussions

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Herald

this is why i don't play social games. these types of schemes prey on medium-core gamers with shallow titles that release deceptively large amounts of gameplay behind paywalls.

got sucked into MonTowers once lol; first and last time.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:41 PM
Initiate

It's white collar crime.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Supporter

Default TL;DR

I get that the article is trying to set a stage and be dramatic about it's revelation, but it is simply too long winded and unengaging to tolerate for the sake of it's interests.

The same hand leading approach that it talks about is what it feels like to read.
What I am in essence saying coming from a science background (caring about data not emotional context) is that the main problem is that it feels like a perspective is being groomed into the reader, with the affect that people of intelligence will recognize such and psychologically rally against the forced view.

The writer may have a point from what I garnered wading through the chaff, that businesses are destroying gaming by commoditizing players 'energy' and laying new ground into practices formerly only associated with gambling (where most of the psychology integration comes from); but the hinge here is that most of the profit comes from statistical anomalies just like with gambling addiction.

it's actually more an issue that should be pressed on a legal front within societies; and we cannot even manage to do that with traditional gambling.
Money determines policy and if you find it horrific that your son or daughter may grow up to be that 10-15% addict it comes down once again as it always has to parents properly educating children to instill within them the correct attitude to in this case assume that nothing comes for free.

You cannot expect capitalist corporations and similar entities not to act like money grubbing sociopaths, just like you can't get liberals to see the big picture that money is an idea; A means to effectively address needs, not an end to simply needing more money.

What you can do is make a point succinctly, that people should be wary of modern gaming using peoples own psychology as the means to addiction, give a short referenced proof that your not some clueless berk barking at the moon, and get on with making your own informed decisions.
-Job Done.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blawsonhull View Post
this is why i don't play social games. these types of schemes prey on medium-core gamers with shallow titles that release deceptively large amounts of gameplay behind paywalls.

got sucked into MonTowers once lol; first and last time.
Medium core gamers? wouldn't they more likely be casual gamers technically speaking.
personally i have no problems with free to play games existing that take the stance that paid items are frivolous additions (such as realm of the mad god); and at the end of the day parents need to be taught that not saying no is complicity in harming their children.

A child that constantly butts heads with paywalls as they grow up will grow up resistant to such monetization policies because that reward feeding rat learning these games employ will in fact be turned in equal measure against it; turning a positive re-enforcement response to a negative one.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Initiate

I'm sure this sort of thing extends it's reach well beyond the gaming industry is the more frightening part about it.
Closed Thread

Tags
monetization, press