Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 12-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Apostle

Default [Ranged Cold] DW-Pistols Pure Cold ABB Spellbreaker

Firstly, props to Crate for removing the weapon limitation from ABB it really added to the build diversity.

Now, why even bother with this build, cold has limited support as it is, right? True, this build relies on items for performance due to limited options being available to make a pure cold build (be it ranged or melee).
But the entire point of this build is to highlight that pure cold is a nice damage type to build around despite the limited support and also to show how ABB's weapon limitation removal allows us to make such experimental (yet great) builds.

Build Concept:

1. Flat Damage-

You need to stack a fuck ton of flat cold damage. As both ABB and Lethal Assault are nice sources of flat cold damage it is to be our LMB skill. We went spellbreaker as we get a lot of help with our energy issues that might arise when we use ABB and also Star Pact gives CDR which benefits ABB. Moreover our Tier-3 constellation gives us a lot of flat cold damage which is nice.

2. Resistance Reduction-

This build has low RR due to lack of support from the game itself (Necromancer might change this ). Since RR is limited we want to stack as many sources as possible. Elemental Storm and Night's Chill are our primary sources of RR. Attaching Elemental Storm to ABB ensures it goes of most of the time. This is useful against bosses with high cold resistance (Fabius and Moose)

3. Innate CC-

ABB has a large radius of effect plus since we're using cold damage type we have the added advantage of our item procs and ABB itself having a small chance to freeze targets. If things get messy, then use RoS for further CC.

Quote:
This the GrimTool Link for Level 100 version of this build. Refer to this from now on, the old GrimTool link will be removed after a while

Links for 1.0.3.0
Infiltrator - http://www.grimtools.com/calc/dVb10am2
Spellbreaker - http://www.grimtools.com/calc/mN4KoL0Z

-Use Mythical Silver Sentinel set if you don't have these items.
-Silver Sentinel Shoulders are BiS although due to loosing out on resists the Spellbreaker can't use this
-Giant's Blood is a good alternative to Blizzard. Although I prefer Blizzard for AoE and Single Target shotguns

GrimCalc (w/ Plus Skills and Devotions)-

http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-kuBazN

Playstyle-

LMB- Amarasta's Blade Burst (w/ Elemental Storm)
RMB- Oleron's Might
Keyboard 1- Ring of Steel OR Olexra's Flash Freeze
Keyboard 2- Pneumatic Burst
Keyboard 3- Mirror of Ereoctes
Keyboard 4- Blade Spirit (w/ Whirlpool)
Keyboard 5- Nullification
Keyboard 6- Blade Barrier

Since dual-wielding ranged is activated using Plunderer's Talisman it grants us a WPS called Volley. One can choose to attach Whirlpool to it effectively attaching two devotion skills to your LMB. Or Blade Spirit can be used to proc Whirlpool.

Screenshots (These screenshots contain toggled buffs and Lethal Assault and PB which remain up 24/7)-

Them Bitches be crazy (Old Pic- R.I.P Iron Maiden)-

Items:-

Weapons- 2x Frostborn Bloodsworn Repeater of Shattering
Helm- Clairvoyant's Hat
Chest- Frostdread Cuirass
Legs- Stonehide Solael-Sect Legguards of Nature's Bounty
Shoulders- Stonehide Zantarin's Shoulderguard of the Kings
Gloves- Iceskorn Talons
Greaves- Stonehide Exalted Treads of the Kings
Belt- Spellbreaker Waistguard
Ring 1- Alkamos' Touch of Anguish
Ring 2- Alkamos Touch of Dread
Medal- Mark of Divinity
Relic- Plunderer's Talisman
Amulet- Empowered Essence of Beronath

- Empowered Marauder's Justice is also usable here
It's extremely good.
- Empowered Eternal Haunt is a solid ring choice.

Bosses-

1. Rashalga-
Pretty much just kite and kill, pay attention to her aura timing to switch b/w nullify and mirror. Be careful of getting shotgunned, especially when using Frostborn Repeaters of Shattering, their ice-spike projectiles are useful to shotgun bosses at close range but they have an undesirable effect against Rashalga due to her aura being a projectile retaliation aura. Just make panic when using your skills, time your nullify and mirror you are a ranged build.

2. BoC and Shar'Zul-
Trash dies easily due Freeze, Shar'Zul hits like a truck. Be wary of this Flame Devils (what the hell are they called anyway?), they have high chance for impaired aim effect on you. He is hard but not that hard for this build

3. Fabius "The Unseen" Gonzar-
I can take hits from him so one doesn't exactly need mirror to take him on, i took him on w/o %damage to humans from anatomy of murder. He went down easily. For mirror users, i recommend you time mirror carefully since there lies a high probability of you missing the timing and using it when he uses his BB wasting mirror.

4. The Iron Maiden-
Hardest boss in the game, you can't kite her. Time your potions, heals, BB and Mirror and you can kill her. I took her on with anatomy of murder just to be safe.

5. Moosilauke, The Chillwind-
Building around cold gives you gear that has innate reduced freeze duration. Still be careful of him during phase 2.

6. Log, Ben and Valdaran-
Not going to bother taking any of them on. I might do Log sometime, but i'm not going to bother searching for the other two fuckheads now that Valbury has been added. Looking for that Lightning Reanimater will be even harder.

In Closing-

This is to present to you the concept of how ABB can give nice support for different playstyles, if you feel like it then this concept can be extended to support 2h Ranged Cold as well.

This build is pretty awesome the way it plays and I enjoy it as much as my DW-Pistol Lightning build

This concept can be extended to Acid Ranged as well

Finally, I hope you guys enjoy this build as much as i did.

Please refer to the Level 100 GrimTool link of this build from now on

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Diablo II: RoT Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Houck View Post
Nydiamar Mod

Last edited by Chthon; 11-29-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Apostle

(Reserved)

--------
Quote:
Quote:
Nydiamar Mod

Last edited by Chthon; 02-11-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Apostle

Reserved for later

--------
Quote:
Quote:
Nydiamar Mod

Last edited by Chthon; 02-11-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Supporter

Hey nice build! Your builds are always creative.

I had considered trying a cold spellbreaker, but never even thought of a ranged version. Thanks for showing how its done.

Also, I just have to praise the game and Crate for the amazing build diversity in this game. There is such a variety of ultimate viable builds, as evidenced by this forum and builds such as yours. I have not seen any other ARPG with such build diversity.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonian View Post
Hey nice build! Your builds are always creative.

I had considered trying a cold spellbreaker, but never even thought of a ranged version. Thanks for showing how its done.

Also, I just have to praise the game and Crate for the amazing build diversity in this game. There is such a variety of ultimate viable builds, as evidenced by this forum and builds such as yours. I have not seen any other ARPG with such build diversity.
Thanks mate.

Also agreed on the point about Crate, the build diversity is really great in this one. I love it.
I mean you can even make a build around a skill granted by an item,
make unusual yet viable builds,
bitch freeze bosses,
and break the taboo of having to focus on a single damage type.
This new patch also brings some nice changes

--------
Quote:
Quote:
Nydiamar Mod

Last edited by Chthon; 12-25-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Advocate

Very interesting. I also tried to make an sharpshooter via the cold damage, but I could not get anything good. Then it was transformed into auromancer, but that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
working as intended
Old 12-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Supporter

Definitely an interesting build. I've wanted to try an ranged cold but couldn't work stuff out. Any chance at listed the skills without the gear bonuses?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:59 AM
Initiate

is it possible to get a list over where u did put your attributes points also?
Old 12-28-2016, 08:11 AM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by haribo View Post
is it possible to get a list over where u did put your attributes points also?
You invest it all into Physique since Nightblade has good cunning returns and scales with cunning i didn't invest a point in it. Spirit is also not an issue since Inner Focus scales with spirit

--------
Quote:
Quote:
Nydiamar Mod
Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Campaigner

Based on a theory I'm working on, can you try getting either 140% or 177% attack speed? I think those two speeds would work with ABB better, assuming you're keeping your 26% cooldown reduction. Here is the equation I used:

S = floor(100/(1.8*(1-C)/H)/2-10) [%]

where:
S = attack speed
C = cooldown reduction
H = how many hits to proc ABB. In this case it can be 4 or 5

Last edited by Dioarchet; 12-28-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Tags
amarasta's blade burst, cold, dual pistol, ranged cold, spellbreaker