Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old 08-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Praetorian

Then let us know your experience, but I really am turned off by that horrible UI still, I prefer the EOTB which was a lot simpler and eye pleasing, and had more space for the world view.

still, if someone does enjoy Grimoire, then perhaps its been been a total waste of 20 years.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 08-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewfarmery View Post
Then let us know your experience, but I really am turned off by that horrible UI still, I prefer the EOTB which was a lot simpler and eye pleasing, and had more space for the world view.

still, if someone does enjoy Grimoire, then perhaps its been been a total waste of 20 years.
The world view seems fine to me in a game of this style. You have 8 people in your party and they need to be displayed and accessed. No way around that. The view shows you everything you need to see. As for the UI, I'm still getting used to it. Sure, it's old school. Kind of the point. From what I've read tho there are plenty of tips and tricks to do stuff that makes it all easier once you have a grip on the game.

There is even a Youtuber who had made it his mission to trash Cleve and Grimoire at every opportunity...

Grimoire developer cowardly banning Steam users from forum!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aul-1AJ1cD0

[RANT] The sad story of Grimoire - The game that will never be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-R0D6gpzkU

Grimoire launch has failed. Again. Mark Blakemore burned by the fires of karma!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ3n1ef463Y

The irony you ask? He started a Lets Play and by episode 8 it's obvious he is totally in to the game now and even admits it and that he's been pretty wrong on all counts.

Let's Play Grimoire - (Part 8) - Shrine Secrets and the village Crowl!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDn6E2R7jrg&t=319s

I'm still laughing at how in to it this guy is now after all his trash vids. Epic.

Oh, and if you haven't seen Grimoire's initial IndieGoGo pitch video you really need to see this thing to believe it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDyXSCd2Lp0
Probably the most beautiful video I have ever seen. In Grimoire, you can ride on turtles. You will believe a baby can fly. A golden baby.

Sadly he didn't make his target 2013 release date. Nothing new there. Crate didn't make their Kickstarter release date pitch by about the same amount of time either.

Last edited by powbam; 08-08-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Herald

I think i will end buying it, a steamfriend did it and he is giving positive feedback. Looks loke it might be a hell of a blobber.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Ascendant

I did some research into the developer of this game. I won't post any specifics regarding his antics since it might affect people's impression of this game
Let's just settle on that he is one of those people who are "passionate" about things to degree of near lunacy

The game might be good but take certain things with a grain of salt (that's like Rule 1 of the internet for me). Firstly, the playtime - 600 hours is a little far fetched, not impossible but I won't bet on it.
Secondly, "greatest role-playing game" - pretty sure Chris Avellone might have a thing or two to say about that.
Lastly, the developer assures the game won't go on sale that's just nonsense he is spouting out thanks to his quasi-permanent state of delusion fueled by him smelling his own farts whilst living in isolation in a bomb shelter in Australia (this is true btw).
When reality kicks in (and it always does), he will bring down the prices, when it will kick in is moot, for now the developer is just a rambling brat with delusions for the grandeur

It might be an enjoyable game actually, but not as great as our Australian friend believes it is and I think people wanting to try it should since good RPGs are rare (i mean RPGs, not the crap Irvine sells you). Don't be too apprehensive, regardless of how bad it might seem it'd still be light years ahead of Synnibar or FATAL.

For those of you who are still in a dilemma due to the price tag or because you have some knowledge regarding the developer's idiosyncrasies. I personally recommend this - https://www.gog.com/game/wizardry_6_7

For people who have played Wizardry and want something similar - you're screwed

--------------
Also, i heard Eye of the Beholder being mentioned here? How is it, is it just another Wizardry Knock off or a good game? And while we're at it, how is Lands of the Lore?

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!

Last edited by Chthon; 08-08-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Herald

Cleve is what he is, we all know his views but frankly i don't give it much weight. His claims are in line with his attitude but i see (and that's my personal opinion) sparks of real passion in his work. A steam pal bought it on day 1 and he assure you can't go back to an area without finding 1 or more secret areas you did overlook. Also dungeons are full of secrets and well designed. Yeah 33eur might look steep but if the content is that dense i could even open my wallet...
Old 08-09-2017, 01:10 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by They Live View Post
Cleve is what he is, we all know his views but frankly i don't give it much weight. His claims are in line with his attitude but i see (and that's my personal opinion) sparks of real passion in his work. A steam pal bought it on day 1 and he assure you can't go back to an area without finding 1 or more secret areas you did overlook. Also dungeons are full of secrets and well designed. Yeah 33eur might look steep but if the content is that dense i could even open my wallet...
He might be a nutcase but he is an entertaining one. On his pitch video I got to read a hilarious back and forth with a troll who started calling him a fat mouthbreather. It was pretty epic and the troll could come up with nothing better than to repeatedly call him fat.

As for the price, if you get even 40 hours out of a 600 hour long game then I think you've got your moneys worth.

And frankly I'm not doubting the potential playtime. The guy is clearly hyperfocused and has been working on a game mostly solo for over 20 years. If he claims it has potentially 600 hours I'm leaning more on the side of the fence that believes that claim. Remember, Grimoire requires...... MADNESS!
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
He might be a nutcase but he is an entertaining one. On his pitch video I got to read a hilarious back and forth with a troll who started calling him a fat mouthbreather. It was pretty epic and the troll could come up with nothing better than to repeatedly call him fat.

As for the price, if you get even 40 hours out of a 600 hour long game then I think you've got your moneys worth.

And frankly I'm not doubting the potential playtime. The guy is clearly hyperfocused and has been working on a game mostly solo for over 20 years. If he claims it has potentially 600 hours I'm leaning more on the side of the fence that believes that claim. Remember, Grimoire requires...... MADNESS!

Powbam you have seen the golden baby fly, you have seen decline reversed and had joy at the march of INCLINE and now you becleve. Shall be blessed those who becleve without have seen!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Powbam you have seen the golden baby fly, you have seen decline reversed and had joy at the march of INCLINE and now you becleve. Shall be blessed those who becleve without have seen!
Sapiens can't even begin to comprehend.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Advocate

Quote:
If there was ever a part of the Internet where I totally didn't understand what the hell anybody was going on about, the Grimoire fanbase would be it.

I'd never even heard of the game until seeing this thread, but I am intrigued. I've not played a game like this before either, so I'm probably not the kind of person to immediately buy it at full price, but we'll see if the Super Demo manages to get its hooks into me.

If nothing else, at least the game's Steam forums have been fun to flick through for the last few days. A battleground and a half if there ever was one.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Praetorian

The overall rating of the game has gone back to mixed. also there been a bunch of patches, but they keep breaking the saves.

I found this review interesting

Ucchedavāda
Quote:
A brief history of Grimoire on Steam and why I wouldn't recommend getting it just yet:

Take one
Clicking on character portraits causes the game to crash.
Turning on graphical scaling causes a permanent black screen, only fixable by deleting the game settings.
Automatic updates are disabled, causing much hilarity as nobody gets subsequent updates.
Save data is kept in the game folder, causing subsequent updates to overwrite user created character libraries.
The game crashes if it cannot play music due to lack of MIDI support.

Take two
Interacting with keys causes the game to crash.
Saving in certain areas corrupts the map.

Take three
Encounter rate is increased to extreme levels, and cannot be turned down.

Take four
Encounter rate is set to zero, and cannot be turned up.

Take five
All save-games made prior to 1.2.0.7 are broken due to a bug-fix.

Take six
Save games made prior to 1.2.0.7 now work, but save games made after 1.2.0.5 are broken.
The game is now unable to start unless the user manually creates a save-game folder.
Character libraries are broken and have to be manually deleted.

Take seven
Existing saves can no longer be overwritten. Cleve proposes that pirated save-games messed up the Grimoire source-code, then quickly takes down that post. Really.

If you decide to get the game, then it is currently recommended to roll back to version 1.2.0.5, make a copy of it, and to stick with that version until Cleve stops breaking new stuff with every update. Instructions for how to download version 1.2.0.5 using the Steam client can be found in the forum.

Version 1.2.0.12 released today seemingly fixes the recent problems, and might be a good choice going forward. Turning off automatic updates is, however, recommended.
I think it would be better to skip the game for the time being, at least until the dev stops breaking saves. Hardly worth playing if the save system gets borked with every update. I think, he really should have had this in early access and a lot of closed / open beta testing before the game really went live.

I suspected this would be a beta test nightmare, I was right.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success