Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 02-26-2018, 04:11 PM
Emissary

Question [1.0.5.0] Enigma Caster Death Knight - An Unique Mysterious Physical Shield Caster Death Knight

[1.0.5.0] Enigma Caster Death Knight - An Unique Mysterious Physical Shield Caster Death Knight

Spoiler!

A Caster Death Knight...? Wut ??

For very New Players this one will be such an Enigma, what kind of damage this Build actually did ?
What is the concept lies behind this Caster Death Knight ?
I got some friends asking me about the build details

At a glance it seems do Cold and Fire Damage, some Vitality + Aether Damage from Drain Essence, also some Internal Trauma from Soldier ...

Well for Veteran Players, it will seem obvious, just by looking at Might of Beronath icon and Seal of Might, they will know it for sure what kind of this build actually do

Video :
>> Ancient Grove - Deathstalker - Gargabol
>> Port Valbury - Valdaran - Van Aldritch
>> Grava'thul Nemesis
>> Mad Queen Run
>> Fabius - Iron Maiden Full Run

Build Details :
Spoiler!
Old 02-26-2018, 04:12 PM
Emissary

~Reserved~
Old 02-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Emissary

~Reserved1~
Old 02-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Speaker

I was thinking of something similiar when I became interested in your aether drain apostate, I stumbled over the belt while I was working on my Forcewave witch blade, then I thought about combining Beronath with Drain Essence. But when I tried to figure it out on paper, I couldn't come up with something that felt good enough to compete, or maybe I just wanted too much in one build (had 12 more levels in Necromancer and wanted to grab maxed Soul Harvest as well).

Instead of Leviathan I thought of grabbing Manticore and while I had meteor shower in I got chariot too, still ended up with less life regeneration cause I couldn't max the Soldier skills out.

I ended up with 400 less OA as well. Had a different medal and relic in mind too, but seeing your result they were far inferior choices. Feeling unsatisfied with my build I dropped the idea of a physical drain essence around the weekend for good.

It is nice to see that your build turned out so well. I have to try it sometime for sure. Great job!

Last edited by Psykrom; 02-26-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Herald

Interesting build. But man, you have dumped 8 points in Veterancy, why?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykrom View Post
I was thinking of something similiar when I became interested in your aether drain apostate, I stumbled over the belt while I was working on my Forcewave witch blade, then I thought about combining Beronath with Drain Essence. But when I tried to figure it out on paper, I couldn't come up with something that felt good enough to compete, or maybe I just wanted too much in one build (had 12 more levels in Necromancer and wanted to grab maxed Soul Harvest as well).

Instead of Leviathan I thought of grabbing Manticore and while I had meteor shower in I got chariot too, still ended up with less life regeneration cause I couldn't max the Soldier skills out.

I ended up with 400 less OA as well. Had a different medal and relic in mind too, but seeing your result they were far inferior choices. Feeling unsatisfied with my build I dropped the idea of a physical drain essence around the weekend for good.

It is nice to see that your build turned out so well. I have to try it sometime for sure. Great job!
Thanks !

Btw why taking Manticore?, you already have Break Morale for Flat Physical RR (it won't stack)
Break Morale is far better than Acid Spray
It has wide radius

Yeah this build defense comes from Soldier,
Since 1.0.5.0 I need to readjust skills points to more defensive

In 1.0.4.1, I even tried the offensive setup without Behemoth, I took Bat instead
Here it is : Fabius - Iron Maiden

You can't be more "greedy" by taking offensive max Soul Harvest
We need skills point for defensive line
Perhaps by taking Mark of Torment
But unfortunately Mark of Torment need to be targeted manually, it will be difficult when we sorrounded by a lot of hard hitter mobs
So, I feel Overguard is more convenience

Last edited by TZ Tz; 02-27-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_lee View Post
Interesting build. But man, you have dumped 8 points in Veterancy, why?
Hmm actually I put more then 8 points, I max it all
For Flat Health Regen, and also it gives us ability to put more points into spirit
But since nerf to Topaz DA, Physique is still needed for boosting DA
I even use 3 Topaz on my 1.0.5.0 Build
Old 02-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ Tz View Post
Thanks !

Btw why taking Manticore?, you already have Break Morale for Flat Physical RR (it won't stack)
Break Morale is far better than Acid Spray
It has wide radius

Yeah this build defense comes from Soldier,
Since 1.0.5.0 I need to readjust skills points to more defensive

In 1.0.4.1, I even tried the offensive setup without Behemoth, I took Bat instead
Here it is : Fabius - Iron Maiden

You can't be more "greedy" by taking offensive max Soul Harvest
We need skills point for defensive line
Perhaps by taking Mark of Torment
But unfortunately Mark of Torment need to be targeted manually, it will be difficult when we sorrounded by a lot of hard hitter mobs
So, I feel Overguard is more convenience
well, if I remember correctly I skipped Warcry altogheter cause I lacked the points which I invested in +12 Necro and maxed Soul Harvest, but thanks for pointing it out. Without the debuff cheat sheet I still get confused about the resist reduce phrasings at times.

Last edited by Psykrom; 02-27-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:45 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykrom View Post
well, if I remember correctly I skipped Warcry altogheter cause I lacked the points which I invested in +12 Necro and maxed Soul Harvest, but thanks for pointing it out. Without the debuff cheat sheet I still get confused about the resist reduce phrasings at times.
Yes, Flat RR doesn't stack
Also you shouldn't take over Decomposition in Necromancer Mastery line, so you'll have good enough skill points to spare.

In the Iron Maiden link I gave you above there's grimtools link on description
It was my first offensive setup with this build
I tried taking bat since the vitality part will be converted into physical
Unfortunately they nerf Earthshatter Threads, that's why you'll see an uncapped pierce resist
Kriegs Boot will be good as substitute

Last edited by TZ Tz; 02-28-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:40 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ Tz View Post
Yes, Flat RR doesn't stack
Also you shouldn't take over Decomposition in Necromancer Mastery line, so you'll have good enough skill points to spare.

In the Iron Maiden link I gave you above there's grimtools link on description
It was my first offensive setup with this build
I tried taking bat since the vitality part will be converted into physical
Unfortunately they nerf Earthshatter Threads, that's why you'll see an uncapped pierce resist
Kriegs Boot will be good as substitute
that was my first thought (saw the patchnotes about pierce resistances being removed on a few items).
I saw the video and the build. If one is willing to give up on the two points in owl, it is possible to keep behemoth and to skip the rat devotion entirely, but one would be lacking a bit of stun resist, compared to your main build.
Maybe I can make up for it with another pair of boots. Mythical Dreadnought Footpads should work as well. They have a little bit less damage and armor, no health but more resistances, DA and +2% physical res. May depend on the item rolls and how one can swap around components/augments I guess.

Last edited by Psykrom; 02-28-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Tags
beronath, caster, death knight, internal trauma, physical