Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Advocate

Default Seperate pane for weapons/armors proficiency

Is it possible to have armors and weapons proficiency passives in another skill pane that is accessible to every class instead of tie them into other masteries?

It always makes me feel like I am not playing the mastery to it's full potential if I choose not to use the weapon and armor type that is improved by the passives in the mastery.

It would be great to have another pane specifically just for weapons and armors proficiency so that players could specifically pick the type of weapon and armor they like to use with their character.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aicus View Post
Is it possible to have armors and weapons proficiency passives in another skill pane that is accessible to every class instead of tie them into other masteries?
is it possible yes, will it be done, probably not

Quote:
It always makes me feel like I am not playing the mastery to it's full potential if I choose not to use the weapon and armor type that is improved by the passives in the mastery.
well, you aren't, you should be using suitable weapons

Quote:
It would be great to have another pane specifically just for weapons and armors proficiency so that players could specifically pick the type of weapon and armor they like to use with their character.
so why would anyone not use the weapons with the best DPS and armors with the highest ratings (short of bonuses / weapon damage type) ?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
well, you aren't, you should be using suitable weapons
What is suitable and what is not should be up to the player to decide, not forced by the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
so why would anyone not use the weapons with the best DPS and armors with the highest ratings (short of bonuses / weapon damage type) ?
Maybe because I am building a high dex dual wielding warrior that focused on speed and crit and less on strength, so I would like to gear myself in light armor instead of the heavy armor that is improved by the passive in the mastery.

Maybe I want to play a high strength melee mage with sword and board and heavy armor that focused on using elemental enhancement and debuff instead of fireball and lightning throwing. So I would like to be able to have the heavy armor, shield and sword proficiency instead of staff and robe?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
What is suitable and what is not should be up to the player to decide, not forced by the game.
suitable is defined more or less by the mastery itself. a warrior would find it difficult to equip a staff, although builds are possible nonetheless.

Quote:
Maybe because I am building a high dex dual wielding warrior that focused on speed and crit and less on strength, so I would like to gear myself in light armor instead of the heavy armor that is improved by the passive in the mastery.
if you want speed, get some movements and attack speed, and focus on getting some fast swords, then combine with a good complementary mastery like rogue which enhances fully the use of the swords. strength is needed to equip the weapons at first, bt later on, you'd be better of piling some strength for more damage since it yields more than dex. personally i like to keep them almost equal for an all round warrior, but you can do whatever you like. no one not even the devs, have constricted you in investing heavily in strength, although equipping a mace would make you far more stronger.

Quote:
Maybe I want to play a high strength melee mage with sword and board and heavy armor that focused on using elemental enhancement and debuff instead of fireball and lightning throwing. So I would like to be able to have the heavy armor, shield and sword proficiency instead of staff and robe?
choose defense - armour handling, and maybe earth in underlord and you'll have exactly what you want, a badass toon strong by nature and devastatingly powerful.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executioneer View Post
suitable is defined more or less by the mastery itself. a warrior would find it difficult to equip a staff, although builds are possible nonetheless.
It possibly makes no sense to use a staff as a warrior but it is very fair to use spear, bow, axes and maces as a warrior. Since you are using the defense mastery as example below, you probably know that there is a blunt weapon proficiency in the mastery, problem is I prefer sword to blunt weapon, so I feel kind of not playing my character to its fullest potential.

Quote:
if you want speed, get some movements and attack speed, and focus on getting some fast swords, then combine with a good complementary mastery like rogue which enhances fully the use of the swords. strength is needed to equip the weapons at first, bt later on, you'd be better of piling some strength for more damage since it yields more than dex. personally i like to keep them almost equal for an all round warrior, but you can do whatever you like. no one not even the devs, have constricted you in investing heavily in strength, although equipping a mace would make you far more stronger.
Problem is you can't dual wield as rogue. Dual wield is only available in warfare mastery, and I am playing a Storm/Warfare. I know invest in strength yields more damage, what I am trying to do is play a high dodge, high crit, high attack speed, elemental melee fighter with dual Griefmaker and using 2 rings that burns energy with every attack landed with charms that give me 5% chance to stun. That's just the way I want to play, not because it is better or anything.

Quote:
choose defense - armour handling, and maybe earth in underlord and you'll have exactly what you want, a badass toon strong by nature and devastatingly powerful.
I hate defense mastery because I see it as extremely boring and bland. I'm playing a heavy armor Rogue/Earth with sword and shield focusing on fire and poison damage because I think that is interesting.

The problem I have with the traditional system of relating weapons and armors proficiency to masteries is that I almost always feel like I can't reach the full potential of my build because I don't like the armor/weapon proficiencies available in the masteries.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6  
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

We are actually leaning away from giving weapon-specific passives in Masteries because of the bottle-necking that they create, so such a UI element will probably not be necessary.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:48 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
No. If your mastery is boosting elemental damage and pretty much the only weapons (with few exceptions) dealing that are staffs, you would be foolish to pick a sword.

Quote:
ok, but what if you find the same buff on heavy armor ? You would switch in an instant, so unless the bonuses are type specific (light vs heavy armor), you would never use the light armor if you can help it.

Quote:
same as above, if you have the bonus on heavy armor, you are going to use that, so no one will be wearing robes, unless they again had specific exclusive bonuses

Last edited by mamba; 07-28-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
We are actually leaning away from giving weapon-specific passives in Masteries because of the bottle-necking that they create, so such a UI element will probably not be necessary.
Zantai, thats the second time you've said something that has made me grin from ear-to-ear. You never answered me before, can we be friends?! lol

DCUO & Skyrim
Waiting For
GW2(maybe), ESO, SO:TL DLC, Halo 4 and of course GD
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9  
Old 07-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Oh, that was a legit question?

I am prone to accepting friend requests, if that's what you're asking

If you mean friends friends, well, you'd have to find me first!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Supporter

Zantai ,I am your friend then.

and a hide and seek game blogging....
thank you

also a proud Loyalist 23.11.15 (what took me 5 years to buy this game again .....)

10.10.17 and as life tends to be in the way of playing, only now tried using the loyalist pack, at least i can say i have a (sort of) life...

Last edited by psisci; 12-09-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
armor, builds, skill trees, skills, weapons