Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Campaigner

Probably because ultimately Ch'thon wants to invade (or return to, if you believe that lore) Cairn's reality, and when it comes to that ANY mention or use of his/her/its powers essentially acts as a tiny bridge between the world of Cairn and wherever hell he/she/it is.
This is a kind of recurring trope among fantasy works, from classics like the Lord of the Rings to games like D&D to contemporary novels like the Dresden Files and even TV shows like Supernatural - that belief is power. Obviously going so far as to use powers as associated with Ch'thon goes a bit further than belief.

Personally, I'm not very happy with the changes to the three. I preferred it when it was implied that the witch gods stood for the type of people that were drawn to occultism - Solael for ambition, Dreeg for a thirst of knowledge and Bysmiel for the oppressed. This brought the witch gods more in line with being extra-dimensional beings that human minds probably couldn't fathom, which would explain the extremely diverse nature of their followers - from the occultist who goes around trying to heal the sick and the diseased regardless of payment or gratitude (the Touch of Purity item) to the more malevolent fanatics of Solael.

The recent changes made them more human than I would have liked, and that's a very different can of worms.
The problem is that it's now difficult to reconcile what we previously knew about them with the new lore, unless you go down one path - that the witch gods are ultimately petty beings who simply don't care enough about their followers and Cairn and who are more interested in their own squabbles.
Very human. It's like watching reality TV.
The sheer number of their slain followers who could have done good (considering how much one man/woman - the playerchar - has accomplished) stands as a testament to what they are. Even Mogdrogen didn't attempt to inspire/tempt his followers with promises of whatever while leaving them to die. Mogdrogen may be harsh, but at least he knows when to draw the line between that and being cruel.

It's going to take a lot of work to turn that around, and the only way I can see that happening is if they finally step up and take a massive risk for the sake of Cairn - again a very human gesture. The thing about picking a theme is that you're now forced to stick to it.

Last edited by Tyr; 03-14-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
from the occultist who goes around trying to heal the sick and the diseased regardless of payment or gratitude (the Touch of Purity item)
I wouldn't consider the player skills attached to an item, as a part of the items lore itself. It may just be gamism just giving the item a thematic link with player skills.

its likely the first owner of touch of purity was either some apothecary or soothsayer (as referenced by this being a part of the flavor text in the apothecary/soothsayer set, and also that set has bonuses to BoD/mend flesh but also soldier skills like Menhirs Will) or just some wandering priest of menhir.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Campaigner

The cloaked figure always stood out as being an occultist for me, in a large part because he obviously desired anonymity and was always on the move.
You'd think a priest/apothecary/soothsayer would also be priest-ing/apothercary-ing/soothsayer-ing part of the time.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:56 PM
Acolyte

Personally, I prefer the depiction of the Witch Gods as humans who - according to ancient myths - discovered a way to tap into the Eldritch realm. I'd argue that Bysmiel and Solael both have an incredibly amount of overlap in that they're both very concerned with a "Will to Power" motivation, while Dreeg's depiction as a cursed, perpetually suffering consciousness infinitely buckling to insanity under the weight of its own knowledge seems a tad left-field. The depiction of the Witch Gods as fickle, capricious and vaguely malevolent doesn't make me think of a soap opera at all, in fact, I find it reminds me quite a bit of the myths about Ancient Gods - particularly the Greek pantheon
(See: Athena, Aphrodite and Hera starting a war that obliterated an entire civilization for an argument about a piece of inedible, engraved fruit, Hera throwing her own baby into the ocean because he had a birth defect, aforesaid clubfooted God-baby returning only to be bullied into marrying the Goddess of Beauty as a throwaway joke by the other Gods, Hera driving Hercules insane and making him murder his wife and children as a way of taking out the frustration she had towards his father, Poseidon forcing a woman to watch her daughter get ripped apart by a sea monster because the sea-nymphs were jealous of her beauty, etc.).
Old 03-14-2017, 11:15 PM
Herald

I think of the Three as Humans who, for one reason or another, Ascended.
Bysmiel comes off as having done it by accident, because her information network and manipulative influence spread so far, that in order to spread further/maintain this, she became a Witch God.
Dreeg, clearly, Ascended out of a quest for knowledge, more knowledge than a mortal can find in one lifetime, more knowledge than a mortal mind can contain...And hence his issue. His mind may no longer be mortal, but because he WAS mortal, he still thinks that way, and he can't reconcile one with the other.
Solael, TBH, I have no real idea what he is/does. He's affiliated with flame, chaos, and apparently, being very fond of his servants, even though his servants aren't fond of how he shows that.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Campaigner

@Machofish
Are you being sarcastic?
You do realize that the actions of the Ancient Greek pantheon were seen as soap opera-ish, even by the Ancient Greeks themselves (who created plays to reflect this).
The examples you gave perfectly demonstrate this.
I mean seriously, these guys were the ones who came up with Oedipus. They were THE original soap opera gurus.

Last edited by Tyr; 03-15-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
Zantai dropped some bombshells in the latest dev stream. Maximum spoiler warning:

Spoiler!

Try to keep talk on this in Spoiler tags or in the Lore thread (which is itself a spoiler thread); respect those not wanting to indulge in teases for the xpac.
Guys even though this is a spoiler thread i personally think we should use spoiler tags for discussions on *this* topic

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Praetorian

The spoiler/s in my post are based off of the xpac info dropped by Zantai in the latest dev stream (see Chthon's comment above mine for a transcription of said spoilers).

So, who do we all think the Nemesis is for the new Beast faction? The lore option would dictate it is Mogdrogen, who is clearly known for attacking those who he even suspects are killing his precious animals. Item description of Mark of the Traveler.

Edit: To clarify, as the Avatar of Mogdrogen is already present in-game and serves a different purpose, we can likely assume this will not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now

Last edited by Younghappy; 03-19-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Champion

I should have blocked thiz thread or my senses..

trans: keep em coming!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghappy View Post
Umm no

Please show me the Beasts Mogdrogen spared from the hunt. There's an aetherial corruption patch plaguing his precious beasts 10 feet away from him, the asshead still stands there enjoying the scenery
Mogdrogen is the shittiest character in the game

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!

Tags
discussion, lore